“stressful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Morris County, NJ
“stressful”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After a week of road tripping through Texas and staying at less upscale hotels, we settled into this place for an event.

The Hyatt ranged from about $10 to $50 more per night than the other hotels. And what did our extra money buy us?

- Free parking (negotiated through the event). But not hassle-free. The room key was supposed to open the gate, but it only worked about half the time. The attendant seemed to be there less than half the time.

- Free in-room wi-fi (negotiated through the event). Also not hassle-free. I had to agree to pay $9.95 a day and make do with verbal assurances that it wouldn't appear on my bill, or if it did I could ask them to remove it.

- Business center. They were free at the other hotels. At the Hyatt, the price started at $6.95, I believe for the first 15 minutes on line.

- Free breakfast. The other hotels had them. This one did not.

The rooms were nice, but not enough to justify the higher cost, the hassle with parking and wi-fi (both free at all the other hotels), and the loss of a free business center and breakfast. The location was close to many attractions, but we needed a car anyway, given the temperature in July.

Final insult: We checked in early and were told that our room would be ready within an hour. They took my cell number and said they'd call when the room was ready. An hour later, we asked about its status. It had been ready for a while already, and they just hadn't bothered to call.

Maybe they don't want my repeat business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mie61
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments here with us. We hope everything went accordingly with your group charges and apologize about the key malfunctioning. Our parking situation is actively monitored since our construction began but on occasion the magnetic strip on the back of the key will get scratched or demagnetized and will need to be replaced. Again we appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve our service and will continue to learn from issues like your check-in to remain a top option for Austin travelers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Austin for a conference for 5 days in June, 2013. It's a very nice, upscale hotel. The rooms have been upgraded and are very clean. The lobby is large with a bar, restaurant and a lot of space for sitting and hanging out. There is also a coffee vendor located off of the lobby.

Since I was there for a conference, I saw most of the meeting space and ballrooms which worked for our group of about 300+. All of the rooms open to the center of the hotel and the 1st floor can be viewed from any floor above. The glass elevators were also a nice change from the standard enclosed elevators.

Service was excellent, from the check-in desk staff to the bellman to the room service staff.

The Entertainment district (6th St) with all of the clubs, restaurants and shopping is just a short walk across the bridge, although cabs are plentiful just outside of the hotel.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable experience and would stay at this hotel again when I return to Austin.

New York
Reviewed July 15, 2013

maybe because EVERYONE in Austin is friendly, I found my weeklong stay here fabulous. The amenites are 4 star. It was clean and well maintained. The bar was lively and mixed good drinks. The food even surprised me. (I only ate one in the restaurant, but had our convention catered for 3 days). I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DFW
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here Sun-Wed of this week. It was the hub's b-day, so we booked a Balcony room. We were hoping to be upgraded to a suite, but that didn't happen. :-( They did give us 4 free drink coupons at the bar tho...

Our "first" room was 1602. It was a very average hotel room, great view out the floor to ceiling of Town Lake & downtown Austin, wall to wall windows. The balcony door was loose & there was a simple slide lock on the door. The balcony is about 4 ft deep & the width of the room. There are concrete dividers between the rooms, which make it somewhat private, but all one has to do is lean over the railing & look into other balconies. There were two chairs & a small glass top table.

We learned very quickly that our neighbors (we had a connecting door) we VERY LOUD. There were several people there and a child. We could hear EVERY word they said thru the door. They were laughing & carrying on so, that we went downstaris & told the desk clerk. He promptly moved us to another room.... 1610. This room was identical to the other in every way, except no connecting door. It was much quieter tho. :-)

The room & bathroom was clean, the bed comfy. But the room decor is tired, the furniture out of date, and the wallpaper was dull & peeling in several places. The rooms need a complete make-over. There is evidence that that will soon be underway.

There is construction in front of the hotel, but it didn't hinder us in any way.

The pool is a saltwater pool, Clean & clear. The pool desperately needs to be redone. The concrete was missing between the pool & the coping in many places. You can only hear the music (which was nice) if you sit close to the main building.... if you go to the other end (away from all the kids)... you can't even hear it. (I brought my iPod the second day).

We were able to see the Bats fly from the Congress St Bridge from our balcony, that was cool!

The public areas are nice & there is plenty of room to hang. Great patio, too.

Self Parking is $17 per night + Tax (although it states it's $14 online) and Valet was $24 per night + tax ($21 online).

We paid a premium price for this hotel & I don't mind it as long as I feel I am getting something special...this hotel was not anything special.

We have decided we won't stay here again until they have refurrbed it. It's too old & outdated to charge the price they charge.... You are only paying for the location.

Room Tip: Book the room you want, because they are stingy with upgrades.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRVFAN4EVR
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Solid, nice hotel. It is not 5stars but it is very nice. Location is amazing--right on the river with a VERY nice running path right outside. The "bat bridge" is just right outside the window so that is really neat. They have a very nice staff and a very good breakfast offering.

I will say I drove right by the entrance initially. There is a lot of construction and the sign for the entrance was not well lit. My only other complaint is that it was almost impossible to get anyone but the operator on the phone...valet, front desk, etc...forgetaboutit...

All in all, I would not hesitate one bit to stay here again and would actually quite like to...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the river side overlooking downtown...
Fl
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First of all, I'd like to give a heads up to people out there who are considering this hotel: The outside grounds are undergoing major construction. They're building a parking garage, so it's, well, under heavy construction.

But on to the actual property, the people are friendly there and the hotel looks nice. To be frank, the newer Hyatt Places have better rooms. But the amenities at this Regency are very nice. They had the best gym that I've seen in years. Go figure, I didn't actually use it though! Nobody was ever in there when I walked past... the pool is small but the location, right on the river, is scenic and enjoyable.

As far as the room, that's where this hotel loses points in my book. To be fair, we booked a bit late, but nonetheless, our view was poor. We only stayed on the 5th floor and our view consisted of the top of a part of the hotel and really nothing else. It's probably the worst view I've had in a nicer hotel in memory. So, if I were to stay here again I would definitely make an effort to get a better view. The good news is, is that I didn't spend much time in the room.

All in all, I liked the place because the location was great but I don't think I would stay there again. I'll probably be more willing to try the Hyatt Place a couple blocks away in the prime downtown area.

Room Tip: If you're on a lower floor then get a river view. Otherwise, you may end up with a view to regre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fl-traveller123
Grapevine, TX
Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is construction on two sides and it could be hard to park. BUT Hyatt valet parked convention goers' cars. Awesome service, VERY comfy room with a desk, quiet room and the best breakfast buffet around make this a good choice for downtown Austin. I requested an upgraded room online and got a higher corner room overlooking the lake and bat bridge. Sign up for Passport Member card. I would not like to face the construction, but you cannot hear noise from it.