“Are we talking about the same hotel? This place is depressing!”

Hampton Inn Austin-North at I-35 and Hwy 183
Ranked #81 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Atlanta
“Are we talking about the same hotel? This place is depressing!”
Reviewed November 20, 2005

Here are the good points about this Hampton Inn:
- The staff really, sincerely try to keep the rooms clean.
- Free wi-fi internet in the rooms (didn't try it out)and free high-speed internet hook-ups in the lobby.
- Next door to a really good Chili's restaurant, where the manager was nice enough to give me my entire dinner *free* because they didn't have one item I ordered.

Now here is what makes this one of the worse Hampton Inns I've stayed at, and why I wouldn't go back:
- I stayed on the first floor, and as I walked down the hall to my room, the ceiling was so low that I felt claustrophobic - and I'm only 5'4"!
- The hallway carpet was old and dingy, and had giant, 4 foot wide stains every couple of feet.
- The room had furniture that must have been nice once. Now it was old and scratched. Very dim - you can open the curtains for more light but then the whole parking lot can see in. The carpet was old and stained - I kept my shoes on the whole time.
- Loud ac/heater - I turned it off or it would have woke me up at night (it kept cycling on every five minutes).
- The room smelled funny - not exactly like smoke, but not pleasant.
- Older TV with bad picture (but there was a nice selection of cable channels)
- You can definitely hear traffic noise like ambulance sirens going by, but I did sleep though the night despite that.
- The outdoor pool was tiny, didn't try it. Worked out in their workout room and the exercise bike didn't work. Caught the tail end of breakfast: rubbery eggs and dry biscuits. Yogurt was good though.

If you find yourself stuck here and need groceries, there's a place called Randall's (I think) that's pretty good. Come out of the Chili's parking lot heading east on the 183 access road. Make a right on Cameron Road. Drive about 2 miles, make a left on the 290 access road (after you pass beneath 290). You'll see a supermarket in a strip mall immediately in front of you - skip it! After 1/2 mile you'll see the Randall's store on your right, at the corner of Berkman.

Stayed November 2005
8 Thank ATLTripAdv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Meridian, ID
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We only stayed here one night, but this is an excellent Hampton. Despite being near two major freeways, we had one of the most quiet night stays we have ever had at a hotel. The walls seem well insulated.

One issue we had was that we were solicited for money by a "broken down" motorist in the parking lot, but I can't hold that against the hotel. We have had this happen at other places. In fact, his car was fine when I suggested we get hotel management to help. This hotel has security on site after 11PM.

The pool is a little small, but has a nice tree-lined back drop. The breakfast area was adequate and fully stocked. The Chili's next door is very convenient if you need a quick bite. Otherwise, it is convenient to get to wherever you need to go in Austin. We will probably stay here again next time we are in Austin.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank BoiseBaylorBears
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2005

A well-managed Hampton. Friendly, helpful staff, and the coffee at the complimentary breakfast was the best I have had in any hotel at this price range. Didn't have to make our own for once.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 3, 2004

Excellent, very well managed nice clean hotel with helpful staff. All the little extra's like a personal letter from the manager and a note with places of interest etc. Reasonable breakfast most things available and Chili's next door for dinner what more could you want. Well done.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member