“convenient location”

Ranked #81 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“convenient location”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was a repeat stay for us. The location suited our purposes--visiting family and friends living on the north side of town. We usually stay at Hampton Inns because we know what to expect--no surprises. There was a surprise at this Hampton, though. In addition to the usual machines the fitness room had free weights and a balance ball.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
texas
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We were looking for a hotel that wasn't too expensive but still nice (not a no tell motel) for a quick trip to Austin. This hotel is very convenient to I-35 and 183 with plenty of parking. We had a car so we were mobile but if you don't have a car, this hotel is in an area where many businesses are closed down. I suspect due to the freeways being expanded upon. It is not located where all the action is downtown or near SoCo or UT but it is a quick 5 minute drive to any of those areas. As for the room, when we arrived, the door was open. Unlocked and open. Kind of scared us to the point that we looked all around the room and under things to make sure nobody else was there. We had to really slam the door hard to make sure it was closed. Then when I got my bill, it was about $20 too much and I was told that I watched a movie - did not do that. They are supposed to refund that though. The room itself was very clean - the duvet was awesome. TV had a good selection of channels and the room was nice and cool with a pretty quiet AC. The bathroom was small but doable. We didn't eat the breakfast because we were going to Round Rock Donuts instead but we grabbed a breakfast to go with a muffin, water and fruit. The breakfast was just a continental anyway. I would stay here again for the rate alone but if I wanted to be near a venue or downtown, I would stay within walking distance because of parking issues. We didn't use our laptop so I don't know if Internet was free or not but we have an air card anyway.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ginger2007
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 9, 2011

The Hampton Austin North 183 is a relatively old Hampton Inn but has been nicely remodeled. My previous review from a few years ago led me not to stay here any longer, but due to some events in town I gave them another try and am glad I did. It is not my first choice but is now a nice option.

The rates at this hotel seem to swing quite a bit, but with my corporate rate is very good. The lobby breakfast area is still too small which was a comment before, but they kept things well stocked. They lack cookies in the evening but oddly enough had them out on the breakfast bar! Huh?

Check in was efficient and friendly. The rooms relatively small and the bathrooms are tiny but nicely equipped. Room decoration is warm and inviting, and the bed is comfortable. The rooms have limited desk space, free internet, and acceptably decorated. The beds were comfortable. The room has nice flat screen TV's. Climate Control is acceptable but noisy and unfortunately you can not leave the blower on for white noise and still have the AC or Heat running. Since the rooms have been updated since I stayed last, I noticed that the now have plenty of light blocking from the curtains.

They have a small . The "business center" with one PC and a printer in the lobby, but there never seemed to be a horrible wait. The pool was decent for a small limited service hotel. They have a small workout room and nice pool for a limited service hotel.

The included breakfast in the morning is typical Hampton. Cut fruit, pastries, "hockey puck" eggs or omelets biscuits, sausage, juice, milk, and coffee. They also have the typical Hampton Grab and Go bags. (Muffin, water, fruit, and cereal bar.)

This location is not my favorite in Austin, but it is convenient to downtown and the Arboretum area. Parking is free. There are not really any dining options nearby in walking distacne (the Chilis closed) but there are plenty of options with a few minutes drive. Traffic around this location can be hectic.

All in all a nice redo of an older hotel. I would stay again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Don't be scared when you drive up to the dimly lit, old school Hampton exterior. Totally new and modern on the inside. Friendly staff. We spent two days driving back and forth to a lacrosse tourn at the UT intramural fields and to downtown Austin. The place is indeed a bit tricky to get to the first time. It is at the intersection of two major highways and several ramps are new; hence our GPS guided us wrong the first time. Hardly the hotel's fault. Despite the highway traffic zipping by outside our window, it was very quiet inside.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2010

A complete remodel of this hotel was finished about 2 months ago, and was very well done. Exterior still looks "old school" Hampton, but they did an excellent job with the interior...modern with an almost "boutique" feel to it. Colors are cooler (greys/blacks) than other Hampton re-do's I've seen over the last few years (which seem to emphasize earth tones). Flat screens, refrig's, and microwaves in all rooms; granite counters, etc.

Location, as others have noted, is an excellent "jumping off" point for Austin, but not someplace to go if you want a lot of restaurants or fun stuff within walking distance (or more scenic location). Even though right off a major highway, the rooms seem to be exceptionally quiet. A/C, though it's a (updated) window unit, is quiet.

Service was very good/professional. Hilton Diamond amenities were waiting in the room for me when I arrived (it's hit / miss a lot of times at some Hampton's on this.).

Also, because this is a relatively new re-do, their rates seem to be very attractive right now for Austin.

And--quite important for many of us--the internet is not only free (as all Hamptons) but actually pretty quick, even in peak times.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Mexico
Reviewed January 5, 2010

i'm staying right now at this hotel, i'm in the wireless conection, they have friendly staff that speaks spanish most of them, internet, clean and nice rooms, i didn't try the pool cauz is frozen out there but the stay was pretty good, i stay with my 2 teenagers sisters and dad and mom.
breakfast is good, they put potatoes, egg, fruit, some bread and u can make waffles. coffe and juice stays all day but breakfast ends at 10
after 2 days of only shopping it was a desaster the room and they clean it up and nothing desapear i leaved my compurer today in the bed and they only put it and the desk and made the bed....it is a really good opcion to stay, is infront 2 of the most importants hwy in austin (I-35 and 183) you have a wallmart next to and an apple bees infront

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Dallas
Reviewed August 13, 2009

One of the cleansest hotels in Austin that I have stayed in. Courteous staff, quiet and very nice breakfast with tasty cookies in the evenings. I make it my business to stay here whenever I come to Austin.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business