“Behold the power of pine-sol” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Austin I-35

Howard Johnson Inn Austin I-35
Ranked #173 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Coffeyville
“Behold the power of pine-sol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Easy enough to get in, check-in was smooth, heading to our room we passed a couple of housekeepers and their carts, so figured the strong pine cleaner smell was from recent cleaning if rooms. Got to our room and the pine "fragrance" was overpowering. Had to open windows and turn on exhaust fan.

Amazing how tightly everything was arranged. I would stay again, but bring activated charcoal and a fan to get rid of the cleaner smell.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Flower Mound
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

*Check-in was easy though the attendant was more interested in talking to her friend in the lobby than us. Wasn't wearing any sort of uniform (not even a nametag) & couldn't recommend a place for dinner.
*Moldy smell in the whole hotel; within 5 minutes of being in the room my throat became tight and I started coughing.
*Damaged walls by the bed (see pictures)
*Sunflower Seeds on the floor... So, they didn't vacuum.
*We were waiting for bugs but luckily didn't SEE any... I'm sure they're around though.
*Makeup on my pillowcase... Guess they didn't change em from the last guest which means the sheets weren't either.
*Mismatched sheets - come on guys.
*Bathroom door doesn't close easily and there are remnants of past advertising fixtures still on them.
*Teeny tiny sink and mirror OUTSIDE the shower/toilet closet.
*Tub sealants cracked, exposed lightbulb over shower.
*Very thin walls; we could hear everything happening around us.
*Oldest/smallest elevator i've ever ridden in.
*Parking lot feels shady, I was hesitant to leave my car out there.
*In fact the whole place feels shady; we didn't leave any belongings in the room while venturing out during the day.
*Breakfast is less than your typical continental. There are 2 juice choices, 2 cereal choices, a pitcher of milk (just sitting out at room temp), a few instant oatmeal packs, and a handful of frozen muffins & bagels. Yuck.

Website says "recently renovated" and tacky paper signs on the door say they are currently renovating but I see no upgrades or progress. Seriously considered changing hotels for our second night, but with Cinco de Mayo everything was booked up! Management needs to invest a couple mil into this property to clean it up and make it classier. We tried yo give HOJO the benefit of the doubt but they let us down. It is fairly convenient to downtown Austin, just about a 5 minute drive but the next time I come to town I will pay more to be right in the action and to be comfortable in my room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Flower Mound, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

*Damaged walls by the bed (see pictures)
*Sunflower Seeds on the floor... So, they didn't vacuum.
*Mismatched sheets - come on guys.
*Teeny tiny sink and mirror OUTSIDE the shower/toilet closet.
*Tub sealants cracked, exposed lightbulb over shower.
*Very thin walls; we could hear everything happening around us.
*Oldest/smallest elevator i've ever ridden in.
*Parking lot feels shady, I was hesitant to leave my car out there.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Naperville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel is a dive. There are signs taped on the counter, in the lobby, saying watch out for wet paint and pardon our remodeling, that look like they've been there months. The signs are written on with pen and are dirty except where the tape covers it and keeps the paper white. I could see no evidence of the activities described in the signs (painting and remodeling) . Carpeting was old and dirty throughout the hotel. For breakfast they didn't have any fresh fruit at all (not even a simple bunch of bananas). Also no yogurt, which seems to be at every other hotel I stay at. Rooms were just old and in need of update. Shower pointed at my stomach and I had to duck to wash my hair and face. I would never recomend this place to anyone unless it was $20/night and I ran out of money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends