“2nd time stay, so must be good”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Downtown/Town Lake
Ranked #46 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I last stayed here 4 years ago and really liked the place, the location, the rooms, the staff and the breakfast. This year the price seemed to have gone up quite a bit but as we knew what we were getting, we booked again.
I would have given 5 out of 5 but I don't like the times of the breakfast. At weekends, breakfast runs until 10.30am but during the week it's 9.00am. We were on holiday, so we don't like having to set an alarm and on just one day, I arrived downstairs at 9.15am and I'd seen someone being served as I jumped in the lift, so thought there must be some flexibility. I expected them to be clearing up but everything was gone. I asked the chef if I was too late and he said "yes, sorry" (I don't think he was). I didn't want much and he probably still had some things behind the counter, he certainly hadn't cleaned the grill yet but he wasn't going to budge. That's my only criticism. I think 9.00am is a little early when it's 10.30 at weekends. Also a little confusing when you are on holiday and stay there for a week, like we did. Sometimes we weren't sure what day of the week it was!
Apart from that, the hotel appears to have been updated since we last stayed and it's still good. I'm sad to have to criticise anything.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor, if you are quiet and want to avoid the noise of the ground floor. If you are...
1  Thank Katrina S

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I should have taken into account all of the extra services at this hotel and stayed here for each of the days of my trip. Fantastic staff, great room, and lots of extra amenities made this a great hotel, not to mention the fantastic location.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I came to austin for one night with some friends to meet a friend and have a night out on 6th street. The Hotel was Clean and everyone was friendly. There was plenty of room for everyone (6 of us stayed in one room). The rooms were very clean and decorated really cute, and the beds were sooo comfortable! It was hard to get up for breakfast! (It might have also had something to do with the drinks though haha!) They had shuttles that ran every 10 min to the 6th street area, but they stopped at 11pm. The walk back was not bad at all and there were a ton of pedi cabs available to take us back if we wanted. The next morning they had a great breakfast available in the lobby with a chef that cooked your eggs to order for free! I didn't use the pool or anything but I saw it and it looked very nice! Had we stayed another night, we would have definitely used the pool! Overall we had a great time and I would without a doubt stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2014

great rooms, but breakfast was too crowded and not enough available seating. we had to sit on far away couches. the rooms were very clean, but no coffee machine in our room.....always need coffee machines in all the rooms...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here several times. This is the best location to stay in Austin..Right on the lake, right next to Congress, right near Austin City Limits...by far my favorite place to stay.
one word of caution, there are a few rooms that are real close to the elevators..?Ask for something away from the elevators if at all possible...they can be noisy. Otherwise, saddle up for a tood experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here 5 nights in December and had a great room on the 9th floor. Embassy provides a great location and value considering the shuttle, free drinks and snacks at night and the morning breakfast. Close to the Lake, restaurant area, bats, running trails and SoCo is a few blocks south. The 2 room set up is nice for kids. Lots of families at this property during the holidays. The pool and hot tub area was very nice and one of the few indoor pools in Austin area. Will stay there again when in Austin.

Room Tip: Try to get a 9th floor King and a room not facing Congress as it can get loud if police are going do...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great location on the SoCo side of Congress Street, and right across the street from the famous bat bridge. Embassy Suites are always great if you like a fresh, cooked to order breakfast. Omelettes were great ! We had a nice room on the 8th floor overlooking downtown Austin for two nights in January. They have a shuttle and we got a ride both to and from the Amtrak station, and also a ride to/from a restaurant downtown. We walked one day from the hotel to the State Capital. Staff here was very nice. This ES is a bit more subdued (decor wise) than some I have seen, but still very nice. Ask for a blanket. The bed was made with only sheets and duvet (with cover), so it was either too warm (w/ duvet) or too cold (with sheet only). Weather was really COLD when we were there. Housekeeping was wonderful and prompt.

Room Tip: High floor facing downtown.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Travelers also viewed these Austin hotels
Hyatt Regency Austin
Hyatt Regency Austin
#16 of 201 in Austin
Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown
Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Downtown/Town Lake? Share your experiences!