“Great hotel, location not so great”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Central
Ranked #86 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel, location not so great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel is 5 miles from the 6th St/Congress area where I usually like to stay in Austin, but it does have a free shuttle which is great. I gave the location an "average" ranking instead of poor because the shuttle helps negate the distance from downtown.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Gibsonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

The setup is typical of most ES but I think it is time for a makeover. The furniture in the room was frayed and the place smelled of old smoke. The bathroom seemed clean until I happened to glance at the bottom of the soap dish and found a layer of soap scum and mildew. Great beds. The TV auto opens to the "lets sell you a movie" screen which I find highly irritating. Location is not bad but not easy to see the drive on a very crowded road. Food at the restaurant was excellent. I suggest the filet mignon.

• Stayed November 2013
Granbury, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed there for a business trip, which I brought my three boys along for. They were in awe of the atmosphere. It was amazing. The glass elevators, to the fish in the indoor pond...I would recommend it to everyone. If i ever return to Austin, I will stay there without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

GMAus, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Central, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Bob,

What great comments on the hotel! It is wonderful to hear such positive comments and to be able to share these with my staff. Thank you for taking the time to write the reveiw and I hope you and your boys get at chance to stay with us soon!

Frisco, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Frequent traveler enjoyed another stay at this Embassy Suites location. I generslly stay at Embassy Suites and this is a regular location. Nothing like a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast to start your day. If there was one negative is the quality of the apples ! breakfast. They are almost never good. Convienent, clean, friendly, great bed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Douglas,
I just wanted to thank you for your great comments on my hotel. I am very grateful you choose to stay with us and I hope to see you again soon.

Jim Reist
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I'm not a hotel snob and have never written a review, but here goes... Staff was great at check-in but overwhelmed at night. Sheets on couch bed were stained and dirty...took over an hour to get sheets late at night. Had to walk down and get my own towels at the front desk...in my pajamas. Woke up next morning....no plumbing....for over an hour (in their defense, it was in a city water main break over a 3 mile radius). No water in vending machines either (and in fact the vending machine took my $1.50!). We went down to the conference room restrooms in the lobby because we couldn't use the restrooms in our room. Also couldn't take a shower b/c we had a 7am engagement and had to leave early. To top it all off, we had to NEGOTIATE for a late checkout (we asked for 2pm...they told us we could have 1pm....we finally settled on 1:30pm) so we could actually WASH UP. We received a partial credit on the room at checkout but won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, check your room first to make sure sheets are clean and you have e...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GMAus, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Central, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I am very sorry you had the difficulties you experienced when you stayed with us. Whether the probelms wer of our own making or the city government's it really doesn't matter. I hope you give us a second chance and I am glad that the front desk adjusted your bill and gave you as late a checkout as they could.

Best Wishes,

Jim Reist

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Jacksonville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is tired...The decor it's dank, the entire hotel smells moldy, and the furniture in the rooms is awful...The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is great, but it is WAY overpriced and not worth the pretty penny they want for a night here...

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. I do appreciate your positive comments about the staff and location. Best wishes on your future travels. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss futher.

Richardson, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Mostly good experience. The breakfast food was good, although the cook-to-order line was a little long. I was approached by a stranger in the parking lot asking for "help" after I got out of my car; I immediately went back to move my car, as he sort of parked his car in the middle of the parking close to mine. Also to make sure to ask for non-smoking room as they could not get rid the smell, and there were no other rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Lin,
Thank you for your hotel review and overall comments on the hotel. My staff do patrol the parking lot and will escort off anyone who is soliciting if we find know about it. I am sorry that the person made you feel uncomfortable.

I hope you return soon and get a chance to enjoy Austin some more!