“Nice conference facilities, so-so guest rooms”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin
Ranked #54 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice conference facilities, so-so guest rooms”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I attended a three-day conference at this hotel. The conference rooms, service, and amentities were very nice. The guest rooms, however, are a little worn. The guestroom furniture needs to be replaced, and the walls desperately need some paint. A couple of very minor complaints: There is a charge to park in the hotel's parking garage, which seems unnecessary given that the hotel is not downtown. (It's not like parking space is at a premium in that area of Austin.) My second complaint---get ready to roll your eyes or laugh---was the pillows. The pillow cases seemed too small for the pillows! (I'm reaching, I know...) If you aren't careful, you end up laying on the bare pillow, which somehow seems unsanitary. These absurdly minor complaints are easily made up for by the fresh, warm Doubletree cookie that greets you when you check in. Overall, this is a very good hotel for a conference; and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We do a lot of meetings and events at the hotel and our banquet staff does a great job, thank you for recognizing them. Regarding your guestroom experience, we had two floors at the hotel that were past due for a re-model and I am very happy to report that these have now been completed and they look great! I am confident that the room you were referring to was on one of these floors.

I will have to admit that the comment regarding the pillow case is the first time I have heard it but I will certainly look into it.

Our guests really love the cookies at check in, glad you enjoyed them. We hope to see you back in the future, in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of service.

James Prendeville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
san antonio, tx
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I attended a medium sized (250) conference here. I did not stay in this hotel because I stayed with a friend. The meeting rooms wre nice and big. My only complaint was that other people were using the ballroom next door and when they cheered Friday night it made it difficult to hear our speaker. The hotel charges $8 for self parking but we were able to park for $5 a day with in and out privileges. The courtyard and lobby are beautiful. I would consider this hotel for a conference although the lack of free parking is a minus.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write, your feedback is valuable and greatly appreciated. We do a lot of meetings, conventions and social events at the hotel. Our banquet staff have been together for a very long time and they do a wonderful job in meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests.

When we block groups, we do look at any possible noise transfer from one group to the next and work very hard to try to avoid these issues, I apologize that your meeting was impacted by noise from another group. I appreciate the kind words regarding the courtyard, it is definitely the focal point of the hotel and our guests really love it. I do understand the concern regarding the parking charge but bear in mind that it is a covered garage connected to the hotel which is a nice feature during those long hot Texas summers. We hope to see you back again in the very near future.

Best regards,

san francisco, California, USA
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Austin is always my favorite place in TX. It reminds me a little bit of CA, unlike most of the other places in TX - flat, big, and hot.

This hotel is located in a convenient location. Room was nice and the services were good too. Food was decent. I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for the great feedback on our location, rooms and service, it is greatly appreciated and I will share with the team here at the hotel. Hope to see you back in the near future.

Port Arthur, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Initially, this looked like a nice hotel. I attended a seminar and the open courtyard looked great. However, they claim this is a non-smoking hotel. All the smokers hang out on the veranda surrounding the courtyard and smoke. The AC sucks the smoke into your room. Please note, when you check in, you sign an agreement to pay additional moneys to the hotel if you smoke or bring a pet into your room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience, your feedback is very valuable to us. I do appreciate the kind words about the courtyard.

We have 350 rooms at the hotel and just 6 of those rooms are considered smoking rooms. These 6 rooms are located in isolation from the rest of the hotel and have doors that open to the outside rather than being accessed through an interior corridor. This keeps any “secondhand smoke” out of the guestroom corridors so that our non-smoking guests are not impacted. We currently do allow smoking in the exterior courtyard of the hotel.

The hotel charges a $150 “room recovery fee” for guests who choose to smoke in a non-smoking room. We charge this fee to assist with covering our costs in the cleaning and odor elimination process that must take place and also of course to discourage it from happening to begin with.

I am happy to report that it is very rare that this happens anymore and on the few occasions where it does, we react very swiftly to ensure our non-smoking guests are not impacted.

Again, I do appreciate the feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Dallas TX
Reviewed September 17, 2010

The reviews on here scared me! Got here on Priceline bid, and was pleasantly surprised! Room on 6th floor was big and clean, bed was comfy, staff was real nice....had a 2nd door that looked out at the pool, courtyard area...very nice to have that.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Thank you very much for the feedback, it’s greatly appreciated. The hotel has recently finished the renovation of its last two floors and I am happy to report that all rooms are now up to the high standards that one would expect from a Doubletree Hotel.

We appreciate the comments on the work we completed and I am glad that you found our rooms to be large and clean with great beds. It’s always nice to read great commentary about our staff and I will share it with them.

We hope to see you back in the very near future.

Houston
Reviewed August 18, 2010

My daughter is a UT student and I have been to Austin so many times. I normally stay further out but wanted to see if there was a hotel closer to her house that could meet my needs. This was not it!

My first room was remodeled and looked good UNTIL I was ready to get in the shower and found the bath mat soaked - with the soap neatly displayed on top of it. Either the maid had not cleaned it or the room had been used after. I tossed the mat out and prepared to use a towel on the floor as my mat. I opened the soap and tossed the wrapper into the trash to find that the trash was NOT empty - it had DIRTY DIAPERS in it. That was it for me! Oh - did I mention that this hotel is a maze and I was as far from the elevator as I could possibly be? I actually had to get a floor map from the desk when I couldn't find my first room.

The clerk was very apologetic and moved me to a different room. This one had not been remodeled. It needs it. However, it was comfortable so I showered and went to sleep. I woke to a bathroom full of bugs! Gnats. The desk clerk seemed unconcerned - they seem to be everywhere and the hotel is having a hard time getting a handle on it. Oh my.

I was unable to change or alter my reservation in any way as I had used hotels.com and the Doubletree has a policy to not allow changes without a forfeit of a rooms fee. Well, I had to tough it up and stay one more night. They did give me free breakfast that I didn't use since I had plans with my daughter. My normal hotel has a nice hot breakfast FREE and FREE parking - this one didn't.

I left something behind and I have contacted housekeeping - I am still waiting for them to call me back..Still waiting.

I will stay where I normally stay. I won't use this place again. There are some fine hotels in Austin. This is not it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank mumziepooh
Thank you very much for providing me with feedback on your recent stay. I will have to say that I was very disappointed to read about your experience, we failed in multiple areas and I am truly sorry. Guestroom cleanliness is at the forefront of a great hotel stay and what you experienced is unacceptable both our housekeeping staff and I. Please be assured that we have sat down as a team and discussed your stay in detail and we have taken action from the comments you made.

I am happy to report that the renovation to our guestrooms is now complete so you can expect the same consistent high standards throughout the property.

I would certainly like to have the opportunity to demonstrate to you that this was an isolated incident and that we are capable of far better. Please reach out to me personally when your plans bring you back to Austin and I will personally ensure that your stay is flawless.

Best Regards

Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I have used this hotel for conferences ranging in size from 300 to 800 people. Their staff is the best I have ever dealt with in the conference business. They have nice rooms and wonderful conference space, but their greatest asset is their staff. I can't say enough about them.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent conference experience. We do a lot of meeting and events business at the hotel and consider the delivery of an exceptional meetings experience to be one of our core competencies.

Certainly the quality of meeting rooms and guestrooms is a large part of that equation but without doubt, it is out employees and the service they offer that truly sets us apart. I am very proud of our banquet and kitchen staff, they do a great job and many of them have been with the hotel for 10+ years, in fact, there are only a handful that have been with us less than 5 years. We consider this high rate of retention to be the key to our success.

We hope to see you back in the hotel in the near future for another successful conference.