“Middling at best”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Tx
“Middling at best”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

There are so many things to dislike about this hotel, even with the $53 price I paid on priceline. Where to start? The horrible parking attendants who are never around (and getting to spend $14 a day for the privilege of waiting for them). The absolutely awful room design (an old tube tv that is facing a wall, so that neither the couch nor the bed face it). The overpriced internet service. The air conditioning that had me mildly sweating the entire time.

Worst hotel experience I've had in a while, as even the budget options next door would have provided more for much less (with taxes and parking, the price was close to $90). I'd never stay here again if given an option.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeflan1970
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, November 6, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of the Doubletree Hotel Austin, your feedback is very valuable and greatly appreciated. You have my most sincere apologies that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as we would have liked and my assurance that I will be following up on the availability of our valet parking attendants and the air conditioning concern you raised. Although we do charge for internet service in our guestrooms but it is provided on a complimentary basis in the Lobby, Café and Lounge.

I am disappointed that we did not fully meet your expectations during your stay with us and I appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention so we can follow up appropriately.

Best Regards,

Doubletree Hotel Austin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
los angeles
Reviewed November 1, 2009

stayed for one night. The hotel building is nice, Spanish style. Lobby area is nice. Rooms and elevators are old.

There is parking fee!!!

There is internet fee for the room!!! Internet access in lobby area is free though, but it's slow.

If you don't care about the internet and parking, it's a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I appreciate the kind words about the lobby and style of the hotel, we are very proud of it.

We do charge a fee of $9.95 for internet service in our guestrooms but offer free wireless internet service in the lobby, restaurant and lounge. Speed of internet service is very important to us and we continually monitor bandwidth usage to ensure our guests are receiving a quality experience, I apologize that the service was slower when you used it. Our parking fee is $8 per night but we do offer a fully covered parking garage.

We appreciate your business and thank you once again for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor

Best Regards,

Doubletree Hotel Austin
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We arrived early and were able to check in to our rooms. We had a huge room with a mini fridge and seating area. The bed was WONDERFUL! The linens felt great and the mattress was so comfortable. Wolfgang Puck Coffee in the room. No flat-screen television and limited channels. Unfortunately, our view was of the roof of Papacitas's Mexican Restaurant next door -but the room was so nice, we really didn't mind the (lack of ) view. All of the staff members were very friendly and helpful. We had a the breakfast buffet and it was good... We ate at Papadeaux's next door - great cajun seafood! The pool area was lovely with a hot tub - unfortunately, didn't get to try it out! I would definitely stay in this hotel again. Hint: Remember to put your "do not disturb" sign on the door or housekeeping will be knocking at 8:30AM - this happened to my co-worker and me-

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, October 7, 2009
Thank you so much for your kind comments, they are greatly appreciated. We do take a lot of pride in the quality of our Sweet Dreams beds and bedding and in being able to enjoy a great cup of coffee in the comfort of your room, thanks for recognizing this.

We work very hard on providing friendly guest service at the hotel and I am happy that you were able to experience this firsthand, I will be sharing your comments with our staff.

The area restaurants within walking distance of the hotel are a big hit with our guests and I agree that Pappadeaux has great Cajun seafood.

Hope to see you back again in the future

Kind Regards,

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel had a friendly staff. It's situated between two Texas chain restaurants, so you won't go hungry if you tire of the hotel food. The grounds are charming, with split-level fountains and the pool on the second floor of the hotel. The hotel is somewhat Spanish villa style with rooms looking over a central plaza.

My few complaints: On the second day, the cleaning staff left some of their products in the room. The patio door was left unlocked; I was lucky that no one entered and took anything. A few areas could use a spot of paint.

In general, however, the staff was helpful. They suggested places to eat other than the hotel. They offered refills without prompting; even meeting me by the elevator to refill a ice tea after I left the bar. Other than the problem with my hotel room, I found the place to be secure. You need your hotel key to enter via outside doors, but once in, you can use the stairs and traverse the hotel with little problem. The Fitness Center was great; I used it twice. The pool is secured with a locked gate after hours; parents don't have to worry about their kids.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, August 27, 2009
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Austin. I sincerely appreciate the positive feedback you have given us on our location, staff interactions and hotel facilities, it is greatly appreciated. You have my assurance that I will personally follow up on the cleaning products that were left in the room and the open patio door.

Thanks again for taking the time to write about your stay and I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Bathrooms were clean and spacious. For my stay, I slept on a king size bed. It's a soft mattress and their were plenty of pillows. The A/C was a little weak, but my girlfriend thought the room was always chilly.

Room size is fairly standard. It had enough room to fit both the king size bed, couch, and a coffee table without feeling cramped. There was no mini fridge in our room.

Since their were lots of kids at the hotel during our stay, the noise level was a little high during the day time, but that was expected since it was the 4th of July weekend. You can hear them through the doors of the hallway.

I read about complaints about the craftsmanship of the renovations to the rooms. I didn't see any of these problems in our room. I did not see cracked walls, torn up upholstery on the office chair / couch, etc. However, the extra charges for parking [$8] and internet [$10] are true.

The parking is in a garage with some low clearance. If your car has a bunch of stuff on the roof, I would recommend calling ahead to make sure you can park in the garage. Garage is not attached to the hotel lobby. You have to walk outside from the garage to the hotel briefly, about 10 ft. - 15 ft. of concrete pathway outside. By no means a long walk, but i thought it should be noted.

Internet connection was via wireless 802.11b. During the day, transfer rates lagged a bit, however during the evenings, things picked up quite a bit. I had to transfer about a megabyte of files to a server during my stay, which took less then 3 minutes during the day time. Not bad all things considered.

Location was good, as it was right by 183 and I 35. There are also lots of restaurants in the area. Pappadeux / Pappasito's, Cafe Japon, and Fudrucker's are within walking distance. There was also a Denny's, gas stations, and Burger King nearby.

Overall, recommended and two thumbs up, especially if you're looking to stay in the North Austin area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Austin. I am happy to hear that on an overall basis you were satisfied with your stay and that our location, accommodation and service met your needs.

You are correct in that we do not have mini fridges in our rooms but if you are staying with us again, please know that we would be happy to bring one to your room without charge.

Thanks again for the feedback

Austin
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I had a courtyard room, which you should avoid. Loud music was played until late hours around the pool. On the level below me, there were tables and people talked loudly until 2AM. The room was not well cleaned. There is a big charge for internet and parking is $8 a day (at all of the nearby hotels it is free). In general, you are better of with any of the nearby hotels which are similarly priced but have free internet and prarking.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyguyAustin
California
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times during business trips to Austin, Texas. I find it to be one of the better of the reasonably priced hotels in this area. It has a secure parking garage and relatively good access to I35 and 290. The rooms are clean and modern with hi speed internet access. The breakfast buffet is quite good and the service is adequate to good. The bar is comfortable and reasonably priced and has that Texas hospitality that none can complain about. The shuttle service is flexible and very handy for trips downtown at night. The staff is also friendly and eager to please. I highly recommmend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business