“Perfect but for one problem” 4 of 5 bubbles

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin
Ranked #53 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Perfect but for one problem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

The Doubletree (6550 I-35, there are 3 in Austin) is a refurbished beauty of a hotel. The only problem is the internet service. They charge $10 per day AND the service ends at midnite. So, if you check in, as I did, at 8:00 PM, you have four hours of service before paying again. I have not seen this before and I don't appreciate it since I always get up early the next morning to check my emails... $20.00 for a single night stay is too much for internet access!

2 Thank RedSpyder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2005

Just returned from a stay at the Double Tree Hotel in Austin. Our stay was pleasant with just a few negatives to mention. We were there because of a conference.
Check-in went very smoothly with friendly employees welcoming us with the traditional cookie! My 3 kids loved the children's gift bag that was given to them. It was a back back filled with various things -- a blow up beach ball, deck of cards, squishy soft ball, sheet of "tattoos", etc. It was amazing how the beach ball helped the kids make friends at the pool. Instant volley ball games!
The beds were wonderful! Big fluffy pillows and bedding and lots of it. Plenty of towels, etc.
The negatives we experienced were with housekeeping. Our room was straightened, but not really cleaned. The table where we had eaten was not even wiped off.
The other issue was with security. While we did not have any trouble, it could be a problem. Our door did not shut well and we had to make sure it closed well each and every time. Also the doors coming in from the parking garage were supposed to be opened only with room keys, but several of the doors did not work properly and stayed unlocked. The first night there I was looking for the ice machine and found the door to the parking garage open, as well as an outside door. I am going to mention this to the hotel, and hopefully it will be addressed.
We did not use room service or the restaurant, but my husband was served a continental breakfast at his conference. One morning it was burritos and fruit and the second morning it was muffins. Both were made on site, I think and were quite tasty! (He shared!)
Over all we had a very nice stay. My kids enjoyed the pool area and so they were happy.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
4 Thank MelO
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

We had a group of 15 and just returned from a convention in Austin and stayed at the Doubletree Hotel Austin for one night.

Check-in was a breeze and very welcoming, as was the entrance and general areas of the hotel. The staff always had a smile and was extremely attentive to any requests. There was a Doubletree hotel care line (ext. 1111) which was there 24/7 for your whim's desire.

The rooms, however, although under a recent renovation, seemed like the new makeup of the hotel was just stuck on top of the old. Each room had a minor quark which was definitely usable, but noticable. All of the shower curtains were shorter than the height of the bottom of the shower so the bathroom floor would be constantly damp after shower use. The pressure of the shower was less than desired as well. Also, the elevators seemed like their cleanliness was constantly neglected. It was always a reminder to be careful of wet substances, food items or empty glasses which would stay in the same spots for long periods of time.

On the other hand, the beds with the "Sweet Dreams" pillows were heavenly. I actually didn't notice a difference between the beds at this Doubletree and the signature Westin Heavenly Beds or Sheraton Sweet Sleapers. It was definitely a pleasure.

Overall, the Doubletree Hotel Austin was definitely a nice night's stay in comparison to other Ausitn hotels in the same price range. Expect friendly staff and prices with a few, slight quarks.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank jml3188
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2004

I don't understand how this Doubletree is rated so much lower than all the others. This shows the limitations of the scoring. It should be at least as high as the other Doubletrees. Get a room that looks into the courtyard rather than out a window. Every door opens looking onto an amazing interior pool that is lush with greenery and the sound of waterfalls.

I had to write a review to try to bump up one of my favortie hotels in Austin, and I have stayed at many.

5 Thank Advocate2000
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

We are living in Houston but visiting from the UK and we looking for a cheap deal in Austin for the weekend. 40 bucks a night on Priceline seemed very cheap and we thought what the hell we can afford to loose out, but were surprised when we arrived. The staff were friendly and the offer of a hot chocolate cookie at the front desk was very welcome after our journey. The carpark was oddly arranged and why you have to pay an addional $7 a day for parking next to a freeway was a surprise. The garage elevator and corridors may put you off but the room was clean and not too small even if it needed a bit more dusting in those hard to reach areas, and the cables for phone and internet etc were like spagetti. On the whole I would say it's certainly ok and for the price hard to beat. The beds were comfortable and bathroom well stocked with towels etc.

Pros: V cheap especially with priceline and clean.
Cons: Corridors and public areas a little tired.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2004

I stayed at this hotel last weekend (June 2004) and was met with no major surprises—--good or bad. The staff was courteous but not overly attentive, the room was clean but a little shabby, and the property itself had a worn, comfortable feel about it. I booked through Priceline and got a King smoking room for $50 a night. Not bad, considering the best Internet rate offered through Doubletree was $89. The nightly rates go up to about $120, but the rooms at the Doubletree are essentially the same...I don't believe Doubletree Austin features two-room suites. I wouldn't dream of paying $100 for one night's stay here simply because The Doubletree doesn't offer the service level or room accoutrements to make it worth my while. However, Austin hotel and motel prices can soar outrageously high due to a steady tourist flow, frequent conventions, and Austin's many family/friend visitors of UT students. Even a Motel 6 can easily set you back 50 pops a night, so again, if booked directly through on online discount site the Doubltree may exceed the budget traveler's expectations.

This location is not directly downtown, but is less than 5 minutes from the Capital and downtown attractions (Guadalupe, 6th Street, etc.) The location was one of my favorite things about this hotel...closest to the action but not directly in it.

My check-in around 5PM went quickly and smoothly. The desk clerk didn't explain any hotel policies or help familiarize me with the property. I asked all my questions up front and although he was courteous he wasn't exceptionally helpful unless I asked specific questions. Parking is $7.00 a day with in and out privileges. The garage is easy to navigate and thankfully I didn't have any nightmare experiences with bad keycards. You must use your keycard to access the garage and to maneuver around floors and gain hallway access from the (very beat up) elevators. The room smelled musty, but Austin can have high humidity and the odor was not overwhelming. The room was clean (to the eye) and the AC was on full blast. A good AC is important for an Austin summer day and my room managed to stay cool but still produced that danged drip, drip, drip from condensation (which seems to be the rule for motel ACs). The room showed signs of age and wear and the TV was set up in the worst possible location for any comfortable viewing from the bed. The bathroom had free coffee/tea, a hairdryer, and the standard features for this level of room.

Room service rates are typically outrageous, as is their PPV. Room service hours and menu are limited, but will do in a pinch. I didn't sample any of the Doubletree fare.

The room was quiet (even though they put me next to the ice maker vestibule) and I slept comfortably on a very, very firm mattress. (Might have been off-putting to some sleepers.)

Two nights later my check-out went as quickly as my check-in, even though a reservations clerk was squabbling with an unhappy guest at the next counter. (The unhappy guest was not reimbursed for her stay and no one agreed to take responsibility. A lot of buck-passing, but hey, it's not trying to be a 5 star hotel. But I was glad it wasn’t me with the complaints.) The clerk was not going to charge me for my parking (her oversight) so I did the honest thing and I told her I KNEW I owed her money. Austin folks, especially the natives, dance to the beat of a very specific drum....so expect some healthy doses of flakiness from the staff. And all of Austin for that matter.

All in all I would give this property a 3 out of 6 and if I could ensure a similar rate on my next stay in Austin I would book there again.

PROS: Clean, good location, quiet and safe.
CONS: Most rooms open to an outside hallway, musty odors through room and hotel, limited service

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member