“nice hotel for a business trip”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin
Ranked #53 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Syracuse, New York
“nice hotel for a business trip”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was a nicer-than-expected hotel in terms of appearance. There is a New Orleans feeling in the architecture and outdoor balconies facing the courtyard. I didn't use many of the amenities myself, but I did see many people enjoying the hotel bar and restaurant when we came in at 10:30 on a Monday night. Location is about 15 minutes north of downtown Austin and 25 from the airport, so it isn't in the thick of things, but it was great for the business trip we were on. The warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in offered by Doubletree is a nice bonus. Finally, the price was reasonable as opposed to hotels downtown, and the room was updated with a comfy bed. Enjoy!

Room Tip: ask to be close to the elevator, because it is a strange layout - I had a long walk in the morning t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thanks for the great review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel and your 5 star rating on rooms, cleanliness, sleep quality and value. Our courtyard is indeed very attractive and popular, I hope you have an opportunity to enjoy it on your next visit. The SweetDreams Sleep Experience by Doubletree has been very well received by our guests, I am glad you agree. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

James Prendeville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a disappointment and I feel ripped off on the rates I paid.

First off I have to say the employees are very good and friendly. No complaints at all in that area.

Now to talk about the facility. Its old and has way too many coats of paint trying to cover years of damage and neglect. Holes in walls, exposed wires in lighting fixtures, primer on ceilings, airport style water faucets that sprinkle water. Elevators that are at best scary. Broken down entrance gates to parking garage. I could go on.

The worst of all is the beautiful courtyard of the hotel. What a great place to relax in the sun and cool breezes while you sip a cool beverage and wait for your dinner. Unfortunately the reality is the beautiful courtyard is the "smoking area" and reeks of stale cigarettes. This is a huge courtyard and unusable due to cigarette smoke. What a disapointment.

We won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent experience. I appreciate the kind words regarding the employees of the hotel and the high ratings you offered on service, location and sleep quality. I was of course very disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with the remainder of your visit, please accept my most sincere apologies that your stay was not perfect.

The hotel opened in 1984 and has received multiple renovations and upgrades over the years with a lot of extensive work having taken place in the past two years. I fully agree that the condition of the bathroom in your room was unacceptable, we have located the room in question and fixed the issues you identified. You should not have had to experience this but I want to assure you that it is the exception and not the rule at this hotel, we have very high cleanliness standards.

I agree that the Courtyard is beautiful and it is extremely popular with our guests. At this time, smoking is permitted in the Courtyard but based on the valuable feedback we have received from our guests, this is currently “under review” and we are looking into making both the Courtyard and pool deck 100% non-smoking, a decision on this will be forthcoming shortly.
Your complete satisfaction is very important to me and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail, I can be reached by phone or e-mail and my contact information is below. I do appreciate the feedback and you can rest assured that action has been taken as a result of your comments.

Doubletree by Hilton Austin
james.prendeville@hilton.com
512-374-4850
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed two nights, well worth every dime. Very clean rooms, amazing staff. I checked in after in
More than 24 hours with out sleep and they gave me a fresh out of the oven cookie, just what I needed. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My room had a great outside walkway to an amazing courtyard. It's a great property.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thanks for the great feedback regarding your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable and I really appreciate you referring to our wonderful staff as “amazing”, it means a lot to us. Cleanliness is a top priority at this hotel and I will be passing your comments on to our housekeeping staff.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company on a future visit to Austin.

Best Regards

Iowa
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel over Labor Day weekend and were very impressed. It's obviously an older hotel, but it's been well cared for and renovated. I only mention the age of the hotel because I think it gives it a personality. The layout is a little different from other hotels I've stayed in. The first floor is your normal sort of layout, with a check-in desk, valet, gift shop, restaurant, etc. However, the other floors are layed out in a basic square with a hole in the middle. The pool and courtyard area are in the middle (the pool is actually on the 2nd floor). I didn't have a chance to use the pool area, but it looked very nice and inviting (and clean).
Our room was very clean and comfortable. We'd stayed in several hotels over the preceding week on our vacation and this was the most comfortable bed we'd slept in! The bathroom was good-sized and the water pressure in the shower was great (weak water pressure is a source of frustration for me).
The only meal we ate there was breakfast and it was very good, if a little expensive. You have your choice of two different types of buffet (continental or full) or you can order off the menu. If you get the full buffet, you can get eggs, pancakes and/or waffles to order. We chose the full buffet, but didn't exercise that option. There was enough on the buffet itself to fill you up and like I said, it was very good, particularly for a buffet.
The service we received was very, very good. Check-in and check-out was speedy (and the delicious cookie is a nice touch). We asked the valet guys for tips on how to get to our destination without using I-35 (there was a home UT game that we were not going to) and they gave great advice. The next day, they followed up by asking if we had any problems with their directions. (We didn't)
We enjoyed having a parking garage to park in, though space in there is kind of tight. This is particularly true when you meet a truck or SUV coming at you at 40 miles an hour, but I don't supoose the hotel can be responsible for the poor driving habits of its customers!
Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again if we're ever in town!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. You mentioned great beds, great food, high cleanliness standards and outstanding service as the areas you were particularly pleased with. It is very gratifying to read this as these represent four areas of intense daily focus for the hotel and its employees. I fully agree that low water pressure can be a source of frustration at certain hotels and I am very happy that this is not the case at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Austin.

Best Regards

Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The best thing about this Doubletree is location. You are only 10-20 minutes from downtown, but if you're coming in from the north or east, the location in the northern part of the city gives you great outbound access to 35, 183, or 290 when it's time to head home. You're also conveniently located to Highland Mall (across IH-35) and UT (5-15 minutes depending on traffic). The rooms themselves appear to have been recently refurbished, and the beds and linens are clean and comfortable. I thought the breakfast selection was great, never eaten lunch there, but be aware that the restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch. If you want to sit down and eat dinner, you'll have to go elsewhere, though there's no shortage of options in this part of town (room service is also available until 11 P.M.). Service is warm and inviting, as you would expect from a Doubletree, and I have never had to stand in line at either check-in or check-out.

While my top floor room was spacious, it also has somewhat of an odd layout, in that the TV faces the desk and not the bed. Before you panic about having to watch TV sideways, it does swivel most of the way towards the bed. I've seen a couple of comments about paying for parking, but the few times I've stayed here, while there are signs saying it costs $10 a night, and you have to take a ticket to get in the garage, the booth has always been unmanned and you can just drive right out without paying. Weird. Beware also that the garage has some oddly striped parking spaces; it's possible for two cars to park in such a way that both end up being blocked by each other (you'll see what I mean when you go there - just make sure not to take one of those spaces!).

One thing you'll notice right away is that hotel is showing its age just a little. Nothing looks worn or shabby by any means, but you can definitely tell this is an older hotel. It is still very functional, though, and you get great value for the price (much cheaper than downtown hotels, but only a few miles away).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay, we appreciate the kind words regarding our warm and inviting service, it’s an area of continuous focus for us. I did want to point out that we do serve dinner each evening in our Lounge form 4pm – 12am and we also serve a late night food menu from 12am – 2am.

As you probably noticed, the hotel has an “old-world” Spanish Colonial style of architecture that is quite popular with our guests. We have done a lot of upgrades over the past two years including the completion of our guestroom remodel, renovation of our pool and fitness center, major upgrades to our Café and Lounge, a lobby refresh, addition of 42” LCD TV’s and new ergonomic desk chairs. We are looking forward to more exciting upgrades in the near future.
We appreciate your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Was there for a conference. Front desk was cordial and efficient - what more can you ask for? 1st room was right off the hot tub and smoking area (I declined); when I asked for a different room, they were very understanding and gave me another room which was in a nice quiet section. Great bed and great linens. Good restaurants are in walking distance; I did not try the hotel offerings.

My pet peeve - Parking is not free and this just seems excessive outside of a dense urban area - I mean, this is Texas, not New York or California! No shortage of land...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the great review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our wonderful beds and linens and had an opportunity to sample some of the great restaurants that are within walking distance of the hotel. We do have a parking charge of $8 per night but bear in mind that we have a covered garage with direct access to the guestroom floors and the charge is far less than hotels in the downtown area, most of whom are well over $20 per night.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company on your next visit to Austin.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Ok so when I booked the doubletree I thought it was gonna be great. Not!!!! I got in late and got cookies which were amazing but then was told I had to pay for parking I have never had to do that at a hotel and I was never informed I had to do that. Now the gentleman at the front dest treated me ok but I didn't feel comfortable. He made it seem like he was surprised at how young I was and treated me like a little child. Now the room was great and the shower was amazing. Now the horrible I was woken up at 8:00 am when I arrived at 12:00 am the same day. I was woken up by housekeeping! They didn't knock or warn me and they turned on the first light in the room. This is crazy! I had an ok experience but that housekeeper waking me up ruined my view of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Strikezone
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay, I appreciate the 5 star ratings on rooms, service, cleanliness and sleep quality and the 4 star rating on value and location. However, it appears that your overall impression was tainted by the charge for parking and particularly, the housekeeping department knocking on your door at 8am.

With regards to parking, I sincerely hope that you were aware of the charge in advance of your arrival and were not surprised by it, we list it on our website and our reservations agents are also trained to mention it. If we failed to tell you in advance, you have my most sincere apologies.

While I understand your concern, bear in mind that for your convenience, comfort and security, the hotel has a covered parking garage with direct access to our guestroom floors rather than a surface lot that is exposed to the elements. Additionally, our charge of $8 is significantly less than our counterparts in downtown Austin, many of whom are well over $20 per night.
As many guests depart early, our housekeeping department starts at 8am on Monday – Friday and at 9am on Saturday and Sunday. Check out time is noon so if a guest wishes to stay in their rooms for the morning, we recommend using the do-not-disturb sign on the door. Our housekeeping staff will never knock on a door with a do-not-disturb sign.

If your plans bring you back to Austin, I hope you will give us another chance, please feel free to reach out to me and I will handle the arrangements personally.

Doubletree by Hilton Austin