“tiny room, but good value.”

Days Inn Austin/University/Downtown
Ranked #133 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Richmond VA
“tiny room, but good value.”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Our room was pretty small, but the price was right, and the location was great, near downtown and UT. They also had a free breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
TX
Reviewed August 28, 2009

After finding the hotel I realized that the location to UT was actually very out fo the way and you would have to walk through some bad parts of town along with crossing heavy traffic flow streets. I was not pleased by this because the desciption made it seem like UT was a lot closer. Technically it is since it is near the corner of the campus but everything you would be wanting to go to is about a 30 minutes walk away and I do not want to walk around this area.

Check in was simple and a breeze and we were off to our room. I really don't like the parking here. It is a vey tight no matter where you park and it made me paranoid that my rental car was going to get hit.

We got in our room and was surprised as to how nice it was. I was in a 1 King Size non-smoking room. Very roomy and looked very clean. It came with all the ammenities that I would need and found myself enjoying the room a lot. Only bad thing was the safe that was in the room didn't work.

We did not go in the pool but it looked dirty from the quick look I got passing by it.

When night came I tried to get a good nights sleep because I had a 6 hours drive ahead of me in the morning and was up until 4:30 in the morning. Turns out we got put 2 doors down from some stupid drunk college kids who were fighting in the parking lot, yelling all night, and banging there door to the room relentlessly. I called twice to the front desk for somebody to come out; my first call was made around 2:00AM and nobody answered and the second call came around 3:30 in which the guy who answered said somebody was going out to check on the situation because they had gotten a couple complaints from other people. An hour later one of the workers FINALLY came out and got things settled down.

After finally going to sleep I was awoken at 7:30 by their wake up call, but it was the wrong room. I'm starting to get very furious with this place at this point. Our check out was 11 and I had planned on getting up at 10. I started to receive phone calls that check out was at 11. I got not 1 not 2 but 4 YES 4 calls telling me check out was at 11. And it was barely 10:45.

The complimentary breakfast was simply a microwave breakfast burrito that was very stale and those cafteria cereal bowls. There is a resturant next door for breakfast but it looked run down and not clean.

Overall this place was one of the worst places I have stayed at. I would seriously just fork over the extra money for a nicer hotel that is actually in the downtown area that you want to see. Overpriced for what you get and a shady desciption of its surroundings.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Irving, TX
Reviewed May 23, 2009

The Days Inn- University was selected primarily for its convenient location to the Bob Bullock Texas State Historical Museum and the State Capitol...both about 1 1/2 miles south and about a five minute drive from the motel.
Easy location off I-35. Some noise from the freeway but the rooms seem to be fairly well insulated from the noise. Convenient parking (some covered) close to most rooms. Room was fairly large, roomy and well appointed.Refrigerator and microwave . All facilities appeared to be well maintained and housekeeping satisfactory. Small pool was well maintained and reasonably clean.Very courteous staff . The adjoing Star Seeds Restaurant was a little seedy...in need of some maintenance and had loud music...food and service was otherwise satisfactory but just so-so..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2009

We stayed at the Days Inn Austin (3105 North I-35) in December 2008. We paid $59.00 + state tax $3.54 + city tax $5.31. A total of $67.85 for a double room, 2 beds for 2 people.

The room was big and clean. The beds were very comfortable, with 3 pillows each. Now, that is nice. The location is good for visiting the LBJ Library. There was free wifi and probably free breakfast, although we never take advantage of this.

The only thing against the motel is that it is near the interstate and ramps. It wasn't noisy though. It is just that the view wasn't very appealing. That doesn't change the fact that we still recommend the hotel and would go back if in Austin.

• Liked — big comfortable beds, ample rooms, good location for visiting LBJ library
  • Disliked — location by the insterstate ramps
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Missouri
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Ran into a problem with our trip and wasn't able to go. The front desk staff and manager were very helpful and courteous and helped me get my room cancelled.

• Stayed October 2008
Littleton, CO
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Days Inn has recently renovated this property, it is clean, the beds were comfortable. It has an outside pool. The breakfast was adequate. The staff, young but professional. They have paid valet parking of $12 a day, but it is downtown what else are you to do with your vehicle? The location is why you stay at this motorhotel. You are two blocks from the State Capital. Eight blocks from the University and the LBJ Center. Stubb's BBQ is around the corner and 3 blks away. Best of all is the bus system that accessible right out front your hotel. They have a free "Dillo" that takes you all around the downtown area. Get a map at the capital visitor's center. If you want to get further away, the pay bus system is $1/day all the rides you want. You can't beat that! This is the cheapest, nicest, best located hotel in Austin you can find.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paid Valet Parking
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I have never been so disgusted in my entire life! After this stay, I'll never darken the door of ANY Days Inn ever again!

I'll just start with the nastiest stuff and work my way down:

Pubic hair infused wash cloth - How gross! I'm not talking about a stray hair that was woven into the cloth, I'm talking about 20 + I'm glad I noticed it before I used it. NASTY!

Blood stained wash cloth - It appears to be blood, that's the only I know that can stain like that. Even if it wasn't blood it shouldn't have been added in with the other clean towels. Now one nasty wash cloth is fairly easy to overlook, but two? And that's just in our room in 2 days.

Filthy carpet - I can't stand dirty feet and often wear shoes or socks instead of walking barefoot, with the exception of carpet. That's the only time I'll go barefoot. While packing and walking around the room for about 20 min. I noticed that the bottoms of my feet were getting dark. That's when I took a white hand towel, and wiped my feet very thoroughly on it. When I stepped off of it, there were black streaks. It was like I had just walked around the parking lot barefoot but I wasn't, this was on the carpet in the room! Disgusting!

Dirty pink chair - There was a small love seat that appeared to be newish and fairly clean but the pink chair across from it was not anywhere close to that. Most of it was blackened from years of use and shouldn't have been in the room at all. Neither my husband or I would even touch it because it was so gross.

Now to the annoying things:

There was a fist size hole in the bathroom door.

You had to hold the handle down to flush the toilet.

Since this Days Inn is right at an intersection, you can not only hear traffic from Hwy 35 but also cars, trucks and motorcycles stopping for the red light and then starting up again when it turns green. The only reason I mention trucks and motorcycles is because the are the loudest. We didn't get a good nights sleep either night.

The smoke detector decided to beep every 30 seconds at about 3:30am which woke both of us up. We called down to the front desk and instead of replacing the battery, they just removed it completely. I'm pretty sure that not having a working smoke detector is a fire code violation.

The microwave only worked if you held the plug into the socket.

I think that's all I can remember which is pretty pathetic as this list I've given is pretty large.

Stay away from this place! It was filthy and disgusting!

• Liked — I was only there for 2 nights and not longer!
  • Disliked — The disgusting towels!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family