“care about the guest”

Ranked #125 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Corpus Christi, Texas
“care about the guest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went there to drop son to UT.read the prior reviews and was hesitant to stay there. Booked due to the proximity to campus.Once I arrived I was pleasantly surprised.Daniel was extremely helpful. the entire staff was attentive to all my requests.room had adequate amenities and was perfect for the purpose that I needed. I highly recommend this hotel for any UT event.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Location is ok- room wasn't bad- the area can be a little scary- fridge and microwave were in the room- easy to get to and get back on the interstate- right next to UT and across from St David's hospital- (you could walk over to St David's).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Beautiful Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Selected for a one night stay based on location, price and Tripadvisor reviews. Room was dingy with a stained carpet, the exterior wall next to our door had a large brown smear on it, no idea what it was but not appealing. Internet was exceedingly slow and must have kicked out at least 7 times in the 30 minutes I tried to use it. Breakfast was bagels, toast, pastries, or 2 cereal selections, pretty meager. Wasn't expecting a lot @ $73/night for 2 double beds(AARP) but really felt let down here. Would almost certainly look for an alternative next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Campania, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

The front desk staff was incredibly helpful. Multiple staff members actively sought to ensure my needs were met. One staff member escorted me to my room with my new room key to personally verify that the problem with my previous key was fixed. He also worked with the manager to extend my stay past my reservation and give me a lower rate through the weekend. Another staff member helped me to jump my car's battery with his own car. Every member of the staff was helpful, friendly, and informed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Anatolia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Room was dark, and smelling moisture (no windows, except a tiny one next to sink)...
Bath tube was clogged.

It was okay for one night sleep only. Nothing more should be expected.

Room Tip: not sure if it would make a difference.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
South Boston, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

3 nights during SXSW 2012. Expensive for a motel, but good for the conference/festival. $120, 140, and 160 a night through the first weekend, the film-part, of conference. Everyone said that after we left, the music part fo SXSW was really crazy. it was pretty darned busy while we were there! We're two of a quarter-million people who descend on town. We're part of the "Olds," people in our 40s, in a swamp of 20- and 30-something hipsters. We wear black and neutral colors, rocking them like we're the advance crew for NIN. Hotels are at a premium. Huge name celebs are in town (Jay-Z, Springsteen, 50 Cent, Seth Macfarlane), and it's filled with enough "interactive/digital" businesspeople to be like a consumer electronic trade show in Vegas. Biggest two weeks in Austin. Getting bigger every year. The line for a cab at the airport was 100 people long. We took Super Shuttle. TRAFFIC!

I booked back in August/September, and this was as close as we could get to the Convention Center on 2nd Street. We're around 30th Street, a 12-minute bus-ride up from 10th/Congress on the 37 Bus route, which costs a buck each ride, or a 2-dollar pass. I recommend this. Just tell the driver that is what you want and put in two singles. I brought 25 dollars in singles and used them throughout the trip to grease the skids during this film/digital/music festival that literally swamps the city. The younger people are there working for every web site, platform, and software developer out there, and then some you've never heard of before. They have booked all the downtown hotels, and this two-star motel is as close as you can get to Austin. I don't like staying at motels and I don't like two-stars. I tell myself, "It's gonna work"; that's all I can say. Read on. Here's a video: http://youtu.be/Mbdh6jNnGR0
This is a two-star motel (doors on the outside) in a four-star world, but here (in a 3-star Tripadvisor world) it gets a third star for cleanliness, convenience, price, and a number of pleasant surprises. If it's a football game or SXSW, stay here. If you can do better, go downtown and get into the city.
The Days Inn Downtown/University has a very nice and helpful staff. The buffet breakfast is good--yogurts, breads, and good coffee with half and half.

The Star Seeds Cafe, right next door, is open 24/7, managed very ably by and frequented at all hours by Richard Linklater types. Food and service are great. The northbound, or coming home, bus stop is right in front of the motel. The southbound one is across and down the street a couple of hundred yards. The area is cool, safe, like everything else in Austin: no-drama. Use your iPhone to chart the routes to get close to the Convention Center, when you exit the 37 at 10th and Congress. No problems. Same thing coming home when you need to transfer to the 37 at 10th and Congress. That's four separate bus rides at a buck a pop (or a single needed each time), which is why I recommend the day pass for two bucks.

Your iPhone will show a second Days Inn north of here. That's not you. Be careful. You are at the "Manor Road Days Inn," if you are on a bus or in a cab. I used the Star Seeds Cafe as a destination spot for my google maps app. We did a cab the first night from downtown: 10 bucks, 15 with tip. the dude driving was local color: said he could get us after-hours booze and so on. Somewhat similarly, an American pick-up driving down Congress carried a man who yelled at a crowd of us, "Go back to California," which is funny since we are from the East Coast. I yelled, "I wish." People looked at me. Don't bother with cabs or shuttles--the 37 comes along and gets you downtown best during SXSW.

Ask for a quiet room and hope you get 101 or one of the first floor rooms that is shielded from the I-35, which is nextdoor, by the Star Seeds Cafe building. We never heard the sounds from the highway in 101 on the corner. You can see it at the aptly named room-review video on youtube under JeffHfromOxford.

Inside, the rooms are clean. We dropped a couple of singles every day for the housekeeping staff. Everything was more than satisfactory. Mattress was comfortable; amenities were acceptable. The bath towels had an unpleasant odor, and the WiFi was a little sluggish, but everything else was fine. No workout facility, which was a disappointment, but walking around downtown was workout enough for us.

Tip: on the ride home on the bus, keep to yourself. The new-to-the-city, rural-male U-Texas students get liquored-up and are noisy on the buses. Otherwise, the drivers keep everything nailed down tight, and, like everything else in Austin, it's a very chilled out place to go. Dudes rock beards here like its the 1890s; it's that much of a slackers' paradise. Food is excellent all over the place. We recommend the sushi place, Imperium, on 2nd (quite expensive and quite good), and the Thai place on 6th (affordable, fun-loud, and big portions). We loved the death metal at Dirty Dog on 6th.

Room Tip: Ask for #101, shielded from I-35 noise by the Star Seeds Cafe.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MyLifeInYur P
Chapel Hill, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you're expecting a fancy place, this is NOT it. If you're looking for an affordable place that's clean and has a friendly staff, this is the place. Although it's right on a very busy interstate, the noise did not seem all that bad to me. There is a 24 hour restaurant next door that serves good food. It's also right on several bus lines.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business