“Great, but a little pricey.”

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #770 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Austin
Cross street: Mopac & Burnet
Houston, Texas
“Great, but a little pricey.”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The food and the atmosphere were wonderful, and the staff are highly trained, our waiter was good at his sales pitch (informing us of their specialties).

Visited February 2014

Austin, Texas
“No longer a very special place”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

DId you ever notice that when you go to a new restaurant, just opened, the staff is energized, they have an attitude that they are great and they bust their butts to prove it, the food is superb, and the ambiance is as close to perfect as you can get? And then, after some time has past, the staff is still good, the service earns no complaints, the ambiance shows signs of wear, tear and neglect, and the food is, while still very good, not spectacular?
Such I think is the case with what had been one of our top favorites. We went there for a belated Valentine's lunch. We had been to McCormick and Schmick's quite a few times before, and were really taken with the overall top notch quality to be found in every aspect. Alas, the table we were given was not completely clean, there was heavy moisture on it from a cleaning towel that had been rapidly passed over it instead of rubbed on it. The booth we sat in felt more uncomfortable than the pews in the church we had just attended. The waiter was efficient, but seemed mechanical.
The manager did come by twice to ask us if all was well. On his second visit we did talk, but more about that later. The food was disappointing. To be completely clear here, I am used to superior offerings from M&S, but my parmesan crusted white fish was overcooked and browned on the bottom. The whole dish, particularly the fish, needed salt! It used to be that everything we got there was perfectly seasoned, and there was no need to be so gauche as to add salt to it. The portion was a tad on the light side, and the risotto with some sort of summer squash was really quite bland. My wife's salad was surprising, in that it came as a perfectly stacked round concoction with the ingredients piled in layers. She said it tasted good.
I did discuss this with the manager, who was genuinely concerned.
Bottom line: McCormick and Schmick's has slipped a little. I would still go back because it wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite as good as it used to be. Hopefully they will fix that. We'll go back some time, but there are other upscale seafood places that have become more appealing.

• Visited February 2014
Austin, Texas
“High Priced but Average at Best”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Valentines' Dinner with my wife. Made a reservation and was seated within 15 minutes of our 7 pm arrival. Very slow service both from our waiter and in preparation of the food. The petite filet was slightly overcooked and only a very small amount of drawn butter was served; the blackened redfish was anything but "blackened". Wine list and selection was rather limited considering the "higher end" positioning. Nice atmosphere but definitely very overpriced for the quality and barely average level of service. There are far better alternatives in the surrounding area. Most likely will not return.

Chicago, Illinois
“Bad Service”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've dined at McCormick and Schmick's in a few cities around the country, and I have never encountered bad service...until this location.

I was dining alone, since I was traveling on business. The restaurant itself was busy, with a wait for a table, so I took a seat at the bar. It took several minutes to be acknowledged or offered a drink.

I placed my order. The salad came quickly; the entree took forever to arrive. Dirty plates were not cleared quickly by wait staff or the bartender.

I wanted a glass of water and a glass of wine with my main course. I ordered these from the bartender and they did not arrive for 10 min.! The excuse was that one bartender thought the other was taking care of it.

The food was fine -- good salad, well-cooked swordfish and sides.

Overall, the bartenders were so involved in making drinks for tables that they forgot to actually tend the bar -- they barely interacted with any of the customers sitting at the bar, and we were basically ignored until we flagged someone down.

For a meal that cost nearly $70 for one person, that kind of service is not excusable.

• Visited February 2014
“Nice quiet evening”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I got off work a little early and decided to take my wife out to dinner on a Tuesday eveing. The restaurant was not busy at all so the atmosephere was very quiet and pleasant. Our waiter provided excellent service and the meal was very good and well prepared. Enjoyed the lobster bisque as well as the stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer. The entree of shrimp and salmon was very tasty as well. The booths with a curtain closure were also a nice touch for added privacy. This was our first visit but will not be our last

• Visited January 2014

Been to McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant? Share your experiences!