“No. Just, no.”

Wok On Fire
Ranked #2,676 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have hesitated writing a review about this place because I believed that maybe they were good people trying to run a business and start-up. Up until the owners (or managers) were straight up RUDE. We received rotten chicken in a to go order, called back and the lady owner yelled out loud "Well if you don't like it, don't buy it!!!" Without even letting us talk! Very hostile. Previously, the delivery driver received a $3 tip, we're literally down the street from them and was all the cash we had so we said we didn't want any change and to keep the rest for tip, his response "HA what tip?!". I've experienced a COUNTLESS amount of bad service here but am very passive. Now, enough is enough. Rotten food and rude behavior is passed my breaking point with this place. I will never be eating here again. Here are some things they have done:
-Gone to our table one time throughout meal
-Charge unexpected charges
-Thought they could fool me by putting sesame seeds on 'General Tsao' chicken to make it look like Sesame Chicken after getting my order wrong
-"Accidentally" over charging
-Extremely rude and arrogant attitudes
-Bad untrained waiters
-MULTIPLE wrong orders

1  Thank Alexis O

Reviewed January 14, 2014

On Dec. 24. 2013, my wife placed a delivery order with Wok on Fire. When the food arrived, she was surprised to find that, despite the website's claim of "free" delivery, there was a $4 delivery fee. This brought the total bill to $30, which she paid with her debit card. When she signed the receipt, she added an additional $2 tip, to bring the total tip (including the delivery fee) to $6 (20%) and the total charge to $32. Her surprise at seeing the delivery fee was nothing compared to our surprise when, on Jan. 2, we saw the charge on her bank statement--instead of $32, she was charged $50!

She called the restaurant, and the manager rudely informed her that the ticket was correct--she was charged $26 for the meal, $4 for the delivery fee, and a TWENTY DOLLAR tip. When she told the manager that she had tipped $2, not $20, he curtly replied that she had signed the ticket, which, according to him, clearly showed a $20 tip. Because the manager was being very rude and because my wife was having a difficult time understanding his broken English, she asked if there was someone else she could speak to. He put on a member of the wait staff who informed her that, while the tip did appear to show $20, someone had scratched out the $32 total and written in $50 instead. My wife asked if that looked kosher, and the waiter agreed that it looked suspicious. Still, the manager refused to refund the difference over the phone and insisted that she come in to verify the receipt.

On the advice of our bank, my wife visited Wok on Fire the following day, to verify the receipt. When she saw the receipt (see my photos), it was immediately clear what had happened--someone had added a zero to her $2 tip (making it look like $20.00), had scratched out her original total of $32, and had written in a new total of $50. My wife told the manager that she wanted a refund, and he told her that this was a matter between her and the delivery driver and that she could wait outside for the delivery driver if she wanted to ask him for her $18 back. HE ASKED A TWENTY-FOUR-YEAR-OLD WOMAN TO WAIT OUTSIDE, AT NIGHT, TO CONFRONT A MAN WHO HAD SUPPOSEDLY STOLEN FROM HER!

My wife informed the manager that her problem was not with the delivery driver but with the restaurant that had billed her debit card, and she told him that the appropriate response, given that she had been ripped off by a member of the restaurant's staff and forced to drive over to verify the receipt, would be to refund the full cost of my meal. At this, the manager became irate. My wife then suggested that if he wouldn't refund the full cost of the meal, he should at least refund the full tip ($24) because it didn't make sense that someone who'd tried to steal from her should keep ANY tip. The manager became even more irate, and his wife joined him in yelling at my wife. When my wife pointed out that this was a CRIMINAL matter, the manager told her that she was the criminal and that he was going to call the police and report her for trying to steal from him. He then picked up the phone and dialed 911.

My wife later found out that he had only pretended to call 911, but she didn't know that at the time, and she didn't want the police getting an uncontested call saying she was trying to rob a Chinese restaurant, so she called 911 herself and let them know what was happening.

The police arrived about ten minutes later, and to make a long story short, the manager finally admitted that HE, not the delivery driver (who, by this time, had shown up), had changed the tip on the ticket. Just to be clear, THE SAME MANAGER WHO TOLD MY WIFE TO WAIT OUTSIDE TO CONFRONT THE DELIVERY DRIVER WAS THE ONE WHO CHANGED HER TIP FROM $2 TO $20. He then tried to pretend that he'd been confused by the ticket and had thought my wife meant to tip $20. The cops clearly weren't buying this explanation but apparently didn't feel like writing a citation for petty theft, so they focused on trying to reach a mutual resolution.

While all of this went on, my wife endured a ceaseless torrent of insults from the manager's wife ("you very rude lady," "you bad tipper"). With the police there and the truth finally revealed, the manager said that he would make the driver give me back the $18. Although the driver was apparently the one who received the additional $18, he wasn't the one who chose to rip off my wife, and my wife didn't feel right about taking money out of his pocket, so she told the police to just forget it (obviously, the manager and/or the restaurant should have coughed up the money, but that clearly wasn't going to happen). My wife and I can live without the $18. We hope the manager and the restaurant can live with the bad publicity (and the complaints we'll be filing with the Texas Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau).

Anyone who wishes to verify these details can check the police report. My wife called 911 at approximately 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2014.

4  Thank Scott L
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Seriously, if the wait person is like that everyday, it'd be a real problem. She just didn't say much, didn't ask how our food was, or did we need anything else, didn't refill our glasses, didn't ask if we wanted dessert, didn't ask if it was together or separate, just brought us two tickets, didn't say thank you, didn't tell us to come back and on and on. We were the only ones in there until another gal came in by herself. There was only this one wait staff and someone who looked like a manager sitting there. If you don't care about customer service, this would be a good place to eat.
We had the lunch, broccoli and chicken, which included a small spring roll and soup. The portion was adequate, definitely a lunch size, not enough for take home. Everything was very tasty and hot and cooked to order. I might go back there because the food was good and it was only about $6.50 for the lunch. It was just sort of a weird experience. After reading the other reviews I may not.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Watch these guys when they "deliver" fliers... I watched them as they messed with items on the porch / in the yard... they had no business touching anything of mine!!!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The best Hot & Sour soup in Austin. The make your own bowl is kind of interesting but have found most of the sauces to be rather bland. Always good service and you can eat with your dog outside

Been to Wok On Fire? Share your experiences!