Tripadvisor

“Mongers”

Mongers Market + Kitchen
Order Online
Ranked #177 of 4,446 Restaurants in Austin
Description: We are a local neighborhood upscale-casual seafood restaurant and seafood market sourcing the freshest seafood.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a fun seafood place on Cesar Chavez. The decor is interesting, loved the hanging shell/driftwood. Try Angels on Horseback. They are a different treatment of oysters. Gumbo is excellent. The frying medium on the Fish and Chips could have been 10 degrees hotter as the result was greasy batter on the cod. Service is good, not overly attentive but right for a weekend night. Prices reasonable

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (88)

Reviewed January 7, 2020

We enjoyed a fantastic lunch at Mongers. I ate the avocado toast and my husband had the pompano sandwich. Soooo delish. The fries were awesome too. Also wonderful service and a good vibe inside.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed November 5, 2019

Old friend took us there for supper and it was outstanding to say the least. These people are seafood experts. The puu puus were killer. A great start. Nice choice of wines at reasonable prices if not a little pricey. The fish I had was wonderful. The fish tacos are also outstanding. These can be really terrible but they were fresh and excellent. I have been back twice and the service and food are constant. Salmon steak was some of the best I have had. These people have a fix on high quality.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Stiglitz11
Reviewed October 8, 2019

My wife and I were hosting our son and 16 year old granddaughter for their birthdays; their choice. First time for us and we will return. Arrived just in time for happy hour, which offers great bargains, including the huge peel and eat shrimp (two half pound orders) which were enjoyed by our granddaughter, along with some very amazing twice fried FF. Unfortunately, those arrived late after our entrees were mostly eaten.
Off the Happy Hour Menu, we also had the best Fried Green Tomatoes and a Baby Beat Salad-both excellent.
The announced special fish of the evening was Branzino, which they were out of at 6:30, after I ordered it. Instead I had the Halibut, which was also great, a large portion of mid size pieces, along w baby potatoes; great enough to forget about the Branzino. Our son and my wife had Lobster Rolls, which were just like Cape Cod; generous lobster pieces and great toasted rolls.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank billstl2017
Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

I can't say anything but positive things about their food. It is a bit pricey, but vetty very delicious.

I started with a half dozen raw clams, about $14. This is a rare offering, so I was very happy to order them. They were child and delicious. Even the cocktail sauce was top notch.

Followed with the seafood chowder. It was a delicate broth that was delicately seasoned, with perfect salinity. I added black pepper, because I love that flavor with chowder. I wish there was a bit more fish, in the soup... but I loved that they didn't thicken it. It was really perfect.

Lastly, I ordered the burrata salad. The waitress informed me that the pancetta, which is listed on the menu, is a mistake. I was a bit sad... but after eating it, I'm glad they didn't add it. It was wonderfully balanced in flavor, and a good portion. I wished for one more slice of baguette. I suffered. Lol.

My final bill was $56 with 2 glasses of wine.

I would have given them 5 stars, but the dining room and bar ate too tight, and a bit uncomfortable. I was at first seated at the window bar, by myself. No one came after they gave me water... So I requested to move to the bar which they accommodated immediately. The chairs are those small metal square stools... which are always uncomfortable... and the bar is a bit shallow for looking legs. I wish the was a bit more room.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and would go back, and sit in the beautiful patio.

Date of visit: May 2019

Been to Mongers Market + Kitchen? Share your experiences!