“Good sushi and great service”
Review of Sushi Japon

Sushi Japon
Ranked #767 of 3,816 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: St. Johns
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My husband and I frequently visit Sushi Japon. Their sushi is pretty good (our favorite roll is called the "misha") but their service is outstanding. The waitresses recognize us and give us 15% off each visit. We've never tried the Habachi grill but I can tell you their sushi is unique and tasty.

Reviewed November 7, 2010

I always come to this restaurant when I travel to Austin for work. Super friendly folks...even when you come in right before they close. Authentic great food and a good price for sushi. Get the Hirame (Halibut) Nigiri as it is always awesome here.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

We went for lunch, where I ordered the sushi plate with 6 pieces of nigiri sushi and 3 pieces of california roll. I was told they were out of toro and encouraged to order "hamachi toro", which I assumed was the belly piece of the hamachi, for $9. I was told that this hamachi toro was to hamachi as toro is to regular tuna, so I decided to give it a try. My companion ordered the shrimp tempura bento box.

At first sight, I was struck by the tiny size of the pieces of sushi. I mean, grocery store nigiri and California rolls would dwarf these. I was also disappointed that they included fake crab and overcooked shrimp as two of the nigiri. Anyway, the sushi rice was fine, but none of the fish tasted really good. The maguro tuna was the best. The so-called hamachi toro was nothing like toro. It was extremely firm and a little bit oily where toro is soft and tender and spreads around the mouth as you eat it. It would have been ok for $2.50 a piece, but not $9 for two, especially given the tiny pieces.

The bento was ok, with two pieces of tempura shrimp and five or six of tempura vegetable.

There's really no point in dining at Sushi Japon except for the staff. The people who work here seem really warm. On the other hand, when the waitress asked me how I liked the hamachi toro after I'd eaten one of the two pieces and I told her I was very disappointed, she did not offer to take the remaining piece back and not charge me.

Been to Sushi Japon? Share your experiences!