“Good Pizza and Calamari”
Review of Sagra

Sagra
Ranked #2,207 of 3,828 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went there on a Sunday night and it was a bit dead, but it was late. We sate in the bar and ordered some calamari, pizza, and some risotto. All of it was pretty good and had some awesome mint lemonade. I would go back

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We chose this restaurant on friends recommendation base on their old location. This was our first visit ever. Ambiance was very nice, tablecloths, candles, fresh flowers. We visited on a Friday around 8pm and it was only about a third full.
All of the items we ordered sounded great on the menu. The problem was that they weren't very balanced. Bread came with a chickpea spread but both were very bland. Need salt and pepper, but there was none on the table. When I was eating the salad I got big tastes of super salty capers and then bitter ridicchio. The dressing was sweet, but didn't bring the salad together.
Same problems with the entrees - big chunks of pepperoni and too much tomato sauce overwhelmed the pasta dish. The pizza suffered from too much sauce as well and the olives were clumped together leaving some bites unappetizingly salty.
I thought the price was reasonable for the food and our waiter was attentive and friendly.
There are too many other choices for me to return here.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The atmosphere is nice with the white tablecloths and natural lighting. The food doesn't measure up, though. When there's a limited menu, you sort of expect that the offerings will be top notch, but they weren't. The pizza crust was a little burned, and the dishes just weren't packed with flavor like they ought to be in Italian food. I suspect that they didn't use the freshest ingredients, but that's just a hunch. All in all, there are much better choices if you're near downtown and looking for Italian food.

1  Thank Clay56
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went with a group of friends for a girls-night out, and we all picked pasta. Their pasta is homemade, and they put infusions in each one of them. Mine had wine, and I could taste it! But that didn't take away the flavor of the bolognese sauce. Also, we requested a pitcher of Sangria, for all 4 of us, and it was the best sangria that I have tasted in any restaurant in Austin! Very fruity and flavorful For dessert I had the tiramisu and my friends the pear one. They were both really good!
Presentation, food and service were the highlights of our visit. We will go again! Next time we want to see by the windows to get the view of the city.

PS: There is a lot of packing in the back of the building.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Visited Sagra several times for dinner since move to new location. Always satisfied and recommended to friends. Dinner about a month ago was not up to previous standards but we assumed it was just an off night for the chef. Dinner last night was wholly unacceptable. The pork loin dish did not contain the sauce or polenta on the menu. The pork, if that is indeed what is was, was tough and unseasoned except for some unidentifiable red sauce. The single waitperson was as attentive as he could be given handling both inside and patio diners.

An additional distraction was the music which was too loud and contained an irritating mixture ranging from Bing Crosby and Hard Rock.

A sign on the front door gives notice that Sagra has suspended lunch service. We regret this dramatic collapse and will not return.

Been to Sagra? Share your experiences!