“New Location Great Food”
Review of Sagra

Sagra
Ranked #1,103 of 3,992 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Sagra has reopened in a new location at 1050 E. 11th. Although I liked the old house at the old location I like the bright, airy and modern atmosphere of the new location. The menu has changed with new options but old favorites can still be ordered even if not on the menu. We were greated by the owner/chef's wife and she treated us like old friends. The food is consistantly good. I had the involtini chicken and my spouse had a margarita pizza. Both were excellent. It was a lovely spring evening so we sat outside and enjoyed the nice evening. If you park in the rear of the building, you have a view of the Capitol building - too bad the patio couldn't be back there.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was great from start to finish. I highly recommend trying some of their specialty cocktails and the salumi and house cured pastrami for an appetizer. We both had pasta dishes for the main course and they came out excellent. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall, I love this restaurant. I've had many great experiences there -- for dinner, happy hour, and lunch. The converted house is sophisticated and cozy and located on the edge of downtown. The service is also consistently good. The most amazing meal I've had is the risotto--texture and flavor were superb. The quail egg on polenta was a treat as well. I also LOVE the barrel-aged negroni. If you like Campari, or if you'd like to try it, this is the drink for you! Oh yes, once we had large sliced incredibly favorful yellow tomatoes, with just a hint of salt and olive oil. They were locally grown and amazing.

Our last visit was less than perfect. The potato fennel soup was overly thick and puréed (I prefer to maintain some of the vegetable's texture), though the chewy bits of fennel bulb created intrigue. The bread base of the bruschetta had absolutely no salt, which I found to be a critical flaw. Two of my party had the grilled pork chop special. They reported the meat was flavorful and enjoyed the fig chutney. However, the potatoes mashed with (fava beans?) may have been too adventurous. The resulting dish was purple in color and excessively tangy.

I'm lowering the food score based on this most recent experience, which I trust was just a fluke. The overall score is still high and has been influenced by our many great experiences at Sagra. We'll definitely be back to give them another try soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This restaurant was amazing! I went there twice, it was really near the hotel. The staff is great - mostly unversity students - Bebel Gilberto on the stereo, home made bread and AMAZING seafood pasta!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Sagra is one of my favorite restaurants in Austin. The chef experiments successfully to create consistently excellent Italian food using fresh local ingredients. It's not your typical "pasta house." We celebrated Father's Day there last night with a multi-course menu and good Italian wine.

Been to Sagra? Share your experiences!