“Best italian I have had in the US”
Review of Sagra

Sagra
Ranked #2,144 of 3,737 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
“Best italian I have had in the US”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We didn't mean to come here. We were going to go to a more popular (definitely in trip advisor terms) italian restaurant on 5th Street but a seemingly honest review on another site by a New Yorker with Italian heritage put us off in a big way. We were then going to go to an Indian near Sagra but as there was an hour's wait we tried Sagra. So glad we did. The place was buzzing and had an Italian feel. Our Sicilian waiter brought our calamari, platter of mixed salamis and cheeses(real blue cheeses) with walnuts crisp breads and honey and bruschetta (which was too thick bread and rather average). We then had boar osso buco with saffron risotto (overcooked but tasty) and some pretty good, thin pizzas. This was washed down with a gluggable Nero D'Avola and finished off with wonderful chocolate mousse cake and blood orange sorbet. All the salads, tomatoes, basil etc are grown by the restaurant. The pasta is homemade as is the mozzarella and all the sorbets. They also source ingredients from local farmers and artisans.

As I am of Italian extraction and
know about food I really feel I can rate this pretty highly. All I can say is that I will certainly be back when net in Austin.

austin
“Great spot for a great meal and lovely evening out.”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Sat on the back patio and had a wonderful meal, nice cocktails and a lovely evening. Waiter was helpful and friendly and the food was great. Started with the arugula salad and then shared the fettucini di mare. Had a very nice bottle of wine for $40.
We also like this spot because of the ease of getting in an out. No hassle with downtown parking, and in the past we have enjoyed sitting in the bar while a game was on (muted) the tv.

Austin
“Worst Dining Experience we've had in Austin”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We've lived in Austin for several years, and this is by far the worst dining experience we've had. And I'm including places like McDonalds.

We made reservations for Valentines Day, at 5pm (when the restaurant opened), about a month in advance. A hostess called to confirm our reservation. A week before Valentine's Day, another hostess called to confirm our reservation and ask that we give them a credit card to hold the reservation. Not a problem. However, over the next week we received no fewer than six additional calls asking us to confirm our reservation. We said that we had already been called and had given a credit card, which was met with a giggle and "oh, that must have been a different hostess." No apology.

We arrived at the restaurant, and they didn't have our reservation. They looked at us like we were lying when we told them we had one, but as the restaurant was only half full, they seated us.

The tables in the restaurant were squished together and it was impossible to walk by without bumping into other diners. After sitting, I was bumped into by every single waitperson who came by. The place had the atmosphere of a pizza buffet, not a nice restaurant.

Our waitress asked if we would like a pre-dinner cocktail, and then took our order from the pre fixe menu. Our cocktails arrived at the same time as our first course, along with its wine pairing, giving us no time to enjoy our cocktails. There was no apology for the timing. The waitress mumbled something about the wine she had served us, but when we asked, did not know the brands of the wines she had just served us. The appetizers, Beef Carpaccio, were very good. The dish was seasoned well, with lots of citrus. However, the wine pairing did not seem to go with the food. For the next course, I had the Chicken Involtini. The chicken was dry, and I only had a few bites. The wine was sweet and not a good pairing. My husband had the Alaskan Halibut with lobster risotto. The fish was fine, but the risotto was gummy and tasteless, and was left on the plate. For the last course, I had a Chocolate Mousse Cake. The mousse was heavy and left a bad aftertaste. The cookie underneath was tasteless and the chocolate heart was gummy. The wine pairing (a sparkling) was also awful, and was hardly sipped. My husband had the Strawberry Zabaglione, which while not horrible was definitely not a traditional zabaglione - it had been finished like a creme brulee. His rose wine was awful.

After we finished the meal ($35 per person for the pre fixe menu and $15 per person for wine - including cocktails and tip totalling over $140), we went home and ordered a pizza, because we were still hungry, having eating almost none of the meal.

But our waitress didn't seem to notice, as she was too busy herding us out like cattle. Which was frustrating, because the restaurant still wasn't full when we left, and there was no one waiting for a seat.

We will not be returning to Sagra.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“lovely dinner, lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed October 24, 2008

very tasty bites, but not the greatest wine selection

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“boar osso bucco!!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2008

boar osso bucco!!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Sagra? Share your experiences!