“Bland, tasteless buffet - miles away from true Indian” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #551 of 3,668 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
San Antonio, Texas
“Bland, tasteless buffet - miles away from true Indian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good service can't make up for the bland, flavorless, not-at-all Indian food buffet. If you're a fan of Northern-style Indian cuisine, this is a huge let-down in every respect. Buffet here is the equivalent of getting the 99 cents Jack in the Box tacos and saying you've experienced Mexican food. I mean, where are the poppadoms? Where's the spice and the heat? Why does the chicken Tandoori suck so bad? And why is there a meatball dish in the middle of all the food? I'm pretty sure whoever cooks here couldn't find India on a map - for fans of true Indian food, the fare here is a joke.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“BEST Saag Paneer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We live in Austin and have eaten at the majority of the Indian restaurants around town. We stumbled upon the Bombay Bistro South and we found a new favorite! Everything was exceptional, beginning with the service! Our waiter was very friendly and prompt. He was always there right at the right time without being overly attentive.
The food was amazing as well. The lamb was very tender, the sauce was aromatic and had wonderful flavor. The Korma was the same, delicious! The best part of the entire meal was the Saag Paneer, always a favorite of mine, but with the definitely the best I've ever had!!
You won't be disappointed if you try this restaurant!

“Impressed Again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travel to Austin a lot and when I am sat on the plane I always think of going here on my first night.
After a 24 hour journey from Perth, I can tell you, I'm hungry! And this place never disappoints.
Friendly staff and always happy to 'tweak' meals to your liking.
ICE cold beer. The glasses are frozen and you can feel the ice in you mouth!

What more could you ask for?

Visited May 2013
Austin, Texas
“Really good Indian food and a great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stopped by Bombay Bistro South again. The food was great. Lamb tenderloin is the best lamb dish I have found in Austin. They made an off menu plate for my wife with tandori vegetables and paneer. It is always a pleasure to visit this restaurant.

Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“an Indian restaurant deserving praise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was our third time at Bamboo Bistro up on 183 North. This time we ate at the Sunday buffet. the vegetarian choices were excellent. One thing I dislike about many of Austin's Indian restaurants is the overuse of salt. My husband says after a few bites at other Indian restaurants everything tastes the same. But this place is different. They have fresh herbs and spices, real Indian veggies like bitter gourd and a very pleasant atmosphere. One dish I particularly liked was the Aloo Papdi Chat. It is garbanzos, seasoned with onions and cilantro with Aloo patties. To flavor this they ahve tamarind chutney, mint chutney, peshawari chutney, potaotes onions and yougurt along with other fresh herbs. What a treat. We will be back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Bombay Bistro? Share your experiences!