“Excellent!”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 4,241 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Trinity Street
Description: Fogo de ChaoR (fo-go dee shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, FogoR began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 16 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet salad bar, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
Reviewed November 4, 2014

We first visited this restaurant a year ago and on this second time around, it's still a good eating experience. We were lucky to get in as we didn't make a reservation and Austin was busy because of the F1 event at COTA. Despite it being very busy in the restaurant the service was prompt and the wait staff were very helpful. The meats on offer are very tasty and you should try as many as possible before you are stuffed. The best strategy is to drag the meal out for as long as possible. The wine list is extensive although some bottles are priced outrageously (we saw one for $210 - seriously?). Great salad bar as well. Make sure that you go hungry before entering this place!

Reviewed October 31, 2014

Call me over analytical.

I've been dying to try a Fogo de Chao for a while, so was excited when we were visiting the daughter and SIL and found out they'd made reservations.

We were seated promptly at our reservations, and took our time with the salad bar, which, while it was nice, was not anything like what I'd expected thanks to the raves I'd read about on the reviews. Everything was crisp and fresh, but there wasn't a ginormous selection like I'd been led to believe.

Then.....we turned over our markers from red to green, and promptly got swamped with meat. The service was very speedy, and as I said, we got almost overwhelmed with meat right away. However, over time we noticed it was the cheaper cuts of meat that got circulated first, and more often over time.

If there was a specific cut of meat we wanted, they went out of their way to find it for us - in our case it was the lamb and the filet mignons (both with and without bacon).

I'd say the meat was fine. We tried everything they offered meat-wise. The only thing they had on the menu that we didn't try (because we didn't see it) was the ribeye. Everything was definitely flavourful, and almost a little salty at times. My favourite was definitely the filet without bacon.

We finished things by splitting a couple slices of cheesecake, which were quite good.

Why three stars? Well, we finished our meal in about an hour. For someplace that's a special occasion place, the whole process felt rushed to me. Granted, you do have control over the marker and when the meat comes, but it comes at such a pace when you first turn it over you can have a full plate in no time. That's when it occurred to me that really, particularly when it's busy, this is a high volume business. It's designed to be that way. And if you're looking for that, that's great. It just wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm glad we went, but I wouldn't go to a Fogo de Chao again. We had the good fortune of going to the Capital Grille the next night for dinner, and while yes, it was more expensive, the experience was much more of what I wanted in spending a night out with family.

YMMV.

Reviewed October 17, 2014

I felt unwell the day after I ate here, and several of my colleagues who also ate here at different times the same week also reported feeling unwell afterwards. Staff expected you to fit into their way of serving, rather than vice versa, which isn't great if you're there for a business meal.

Reviewed October 5, 2014

We came here with my out-of-town parents, and enjoyed every minute of it! They have a great salad bar to start you off with, offering a variety of different fruits/vegetables as well as pasta/potato salad, beans, rice, some seafood and scalloped potatoes. Be careful not to fill up though, you want to make sure you have plenty of room to try out all the different types and styles of meat!

Once your ready for the main course, some young men will come by and offer you different types/cuts of meat on skewers. There is an endless supply of meat!! We were so stuffed, but everything looked and tasted so delicious it was hard to say no! In addition, there is an endless supply of little cheese bread, mashed potatoes, and sweet banana.

The service here was exceptional!! Our sides and beverages were always refilled, without us having to ask anything. All the waiters were very friendly and attentive to our needs. My parents enjoyed themselves greatly, and I will definitely be coming back!

1  Thank chrissy6547
Reviewed October 1, 2014

Exceptional service!!! Exceptional food!! Excellent wine list, even by the glass. Pleasant surroundings. A good overall value (Not cheap, but well worth every penny).
Anyone who has ever eaten at a Brazilian restaurant knows that the concept of “all-you-can-eat” is replaced by “much-more-than-anyone-ought-to-eat,” but that the food is so good, you eat it anyway. The food at Fogo de Chao is top quality and excellent in every way, from its 16 varieties of meats right down to its 14 dessert offerings.
Our waiter cautioned up to go lightly on the extensive salad bar offerings and to relax and stretch out the evening, eating slowly, which is great advice to anyone eating at a Brazilian restaurant.
The salad bar consisted of numerous fresh and delicious items, and I especially enjoyed the unique, prepared-on-site salad dressings. Offerings range from wonderful and fresh Bibb lettuce to potato salad to asparagus and many other items. A number of hot items including rice, mushrooms, and potatoes add to the huge variety available. I could have feasted on the salad bar selections alone, but that would have pretty much defeated the whole reason you would go to a Brazilian restaurant, the meats!
Servers roam the restaurant offering diners any number of servings of the wonderful meats ranging from filet mignon to lamb served fresh from huge skewers the servers carve right at the table. While we enjoyed the beef offerings, all of the various chicken preparations especially get our rave reviews. The lamb and pork items were likewise wonderful.
While eating these delectable meats, corn muffins, garlic mashed potatoes, plantains and polenta sticks and placed on the table by the ever attentive waiter and make a pleasant taste and texture complement to the continuing parade of meats that crossed our plates.
If you can survive all this and have somehow left room for dessert, 14 are offered, but we were too full to try any of them. However, the flan I saw on the next table was too large for two to share and looked highly inviting.
Brazilian is much more than a great dinner (or lunch); it is a real dining experience and a treat for anyone, particularly for someone who has never tried it before. Kinda’ makes me want to move to Brazil!

3  Thank L6953YVpaull

Been to Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse? Share your experiences!