“A Very Pleasant Surprise”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Trinity Street
Description: Fogo de ChaoR (fo-go dee shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, FogoR began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 16 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet salad bar, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had no idea what to expect when we first went to Fogo-Austin. I had eaten in The Brazilian Cowboy in Plano once before but this had it beat, hands down.

We got there about a half hour before they opened for dinner and were sitting on the wall outside waiting for the doors to open when one of the waitstaff came out and invited us in 15 minutes early. We had no reservation, but they were more than accommodating. We were seated just as the restaurant opened and then it began - attention, attention, attention. We felt like royalty. Of course we were inundated with meat selections after the salad bar (which we'd like to go to on its own sometime). We could hardly finish a plate and it was gone-replaced with a fresh one before we knew it. Drinks were refilled well before the halfway mark, and we received three visits from management, asking how we were liking the "experience".

This is a carnivore's delight. Granted you pay top dollar, but the "experience" is well worth it. This is one of our new "go-to" places for special occasions - even though we have to drive 70 miles to get there . . . makes it even more special.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had a party of five and did not have a reservation on 8 June around 6pm. The restaurant wasn't that busy and we were seated right away. Only one person in our party had been to a Fogo de Chao; the rest of us were newbies. Everything was clean and everyone was friendly. We all grazed on the salad bar and side items and ordered our drinks. The selection of meat was plentiful. As soon as we turned our card to 'green', we were provided with a large selection of every type of meat. Most of it was pretty good but next time I will avoid the lamb (just did not like it).

Overall I had a great time. As someone mentioned earlier, this isn't a place you would want to go on a first date. The staff is very attentive and always replacing plates, filling your drinks, serving yummy rolls, or offering up different assortments of meats. This is more for those looking for a fun-filled, different dinning experience. Top notch service!

I will definitely go back for special occasions. I would give this place a 4.5 stars if I had the option because I do feel it is overpriced for the quality of meat. I love a good melt-in-your-mouth steak and didn't get that here. For two people with drinks (2 wines and a lemonade) and two deserts, our bill was $155 before tip. Overall, two thumbs up and I'll be coming back. Don't forget to wear stretchy pants because you will leave here full.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have been to quite a few restaurants of the chain in the US.
This is probably the best in the chain.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Took my parents here to celebrate their birthdays, and take advantage of Austin Restaurant Week special.

The service is outstanding, people coming at you from all sides, either bringing food, clearing plates, refilling water, you name it. Top notch.

The salad bar is beautiful, the only sad part is that you're here for the meat, and pretty much need to leave this with but a tiny sampling. I'm mostly vegetarian these days, saving meats for something of high quality or for special occassions, so the every day eater in me would have loved just this salad bar alone.

Not unlike the salad bar, you aren't coming here for the sides. which is good because they were unremarkable. Except for the cheese bread, those are addicting.

The meats were mostly terrific. I didn't try the lamb chops, but my parents were not impressed. The leg of lamb was good though. The rib eye was very good, but I actually enjoy those I cook myself at least as much. The picanha was a bit disappointing as I've had better at other venues, just not a ton of flavor. The filet was outstanding, not so much the one with bacon as it was lost in the bacon flavor. I skipped the chicken and pork loin altogether, and I'd skip the linguica in the future, just not worth the stomach real estate with so many more special options. The standout to me was the fraldinha, I had several wonderful slices of this, tender and perfectly flavored.

The special came with dessert, and we sampled the cheescake and key lime pie, which were both really good, despite being so full already.

I really think after being both here and Estancia in Austin, I'd be more likely to return to Estancia for both fair and unfair reasons. First, I live much closer to Estancia. Second, parking. Third, if memory serves, I do feel that I enjoyed Estancia just a little more, that the meats overall were a bit better. The high level of service was the same, and I think the sides and salad bar (although not counting for much in my book) were just a little better at Estancia. I'll have to try and hit Estancia in the near future since it's been a year now, in order to have a fresher comparison.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We liked everything about FDC.......hope it comes to our town!!
It's a little pricey, but it is such a nice dining experience......the food & service is excellent!!

Been to Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse? Share your experiences!