“Wow”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed June 21, 2013

As you drive along the very busy 1st street you'll pass a number of food truck areas and the only reason we stopped here is that it had a built-up covered area to sit. Little did we know we'd find such a neat place to eat that we came here twice during our week in Austin.

This is a fabulous little place to get tacos and seems like it is a local favorite. They have breakfast tacos all day (which I had both times) while my wife got what she described as "one of the best things I've ever eaten" - a fried avocado taco. The food was excellent and very fresh and we found it to be a great place to stop to eat. Both times we planned our trips to the sites downtown around stopping in for lunch and loading up on the good food while we toured Austin. There are a variety of tacos available to you with any number of toppings and salsa, so there is pretty much something for everyone.

One other thing, they have a deliciously rich desert - fried cookie dough covered in powdered sugar. Rich, decadent, completely unhealthy and....absolutely a necessity to have if you go there!

Another nice part of the taco-truck area is that you have several other nice places to chose from but there is a shaded sitting area (under the trees) and a built covered area for you to sit as well. There are bathroom facilities (nice enough) on site which makes it a great place to stop and eat at.

One other note: It seems the lunch hour gets busiest most days a little later than you might think (1-2) so if you can stop by ahead of the lunch (11-12) you should be able to get in and out.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My daughter heard about this place through a friend from California so she insisted we eat here. Our first experience to eat from a trailer, but we have been return visitors a number of times. Eating under the shade trees is not bad even in the summer. Although there are other Torchy's, this is the original and worth the experience. We try different tacos each time and are never disappointed. I personally love the guacamole and chips along with my taco, and my husband likes the queso. Each time he asks me if I want to meet him at Torchy's, the answer is a resounding, "Yes!" It is very Austintacious!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a popular chain, and I was taken there by a group of 7 or 8 locals who swear it is their favorite place, and I can see why. My fried avocado taco, delicious with an entire avocado dipped and lightly fried, was so good that I went back and had another taco stuffed with a salmon filet and a mound of veggies.

I will definitely be back to Torchy's next time I'm in Austin!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

After riding all the way around the town lake, Torchy's just hit the spot. Don't miss the chile con queso with taco chips. We also had salmon tacos which were just delicious. And sitting outside on a beautiful day people watching was the best.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I read about Torchy's in the Southern Living magazine. Glad I did. Great food and casual environment under the shade of a large oak tree. Queso and chips were delicious as were our tacos. A must try if you are in Austin.