“Different from midwest BBQ- but I like it!”

Micklethwait Craft Meats
Ranked #4 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 18, 2014

First, I have to say MCM was the first BBQ place I have had a chance to evaluate in Austin. I will try to get to Franklin, John Mueller, and La BBQ. J Mueller was sold out this Saturday, and the lines were totally unacceptable at Franklin and
La BBQ.

I don't see how the meat rewards will outweigh the frustrations of waiting hours in line.

ANYWAY..... here I ordered the 3 meat plate- and shared the plate so as not to get over-full (I saw the portions of the other plates). I had brisket, pork shoulder, and sausage.

I am not used to the oak smoke, as it is much stronger... more woodsy than the hickory that we use in the midwest. The stronger oak smoke works well with the beef brisket, as beef has a more pungent/heavy flavor of its own when compared to pork. I noted the sausage was rather lean, as it was noticeably grainy in texture- not that that is bad... it was not dry, just didn't have lots of fat to hold it all together.

Maybe it is because I'm from the midwest, but I preferred the pork shoulder. The rub on both meats was very nice, however I think the pork took the flavors of the rub better than the beef.

The meats were all flavorful, moist, and yummy. I definitely recommend the place. Especially since the lines were rather reasonable. This place definitely breached the line/payoff ratio.

2  Thank bradb5300

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We wanted to go to Franklin's, but they were sold out, so this place is about a mile down the street from Franklin. I was blown away by the flavor in the brisket. Sides were just ok.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you're tired of waiting in line at Austin's more famous BBQ stands, come here for the same (or better) quality at more reasonable prices. First, the brisket here is everything it should be - fatty, juicy, smokey, with a great bark. Moreover, they have great sausages that they rotate daily. I had a great thai beef version. The sides are also worth your time, especially the jalapeno cheese grits. The seating is outside, and if you like beer, you'll have to bring your own.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've been a barbecue hound most of my life. I've tried every place in Lockart and Elgin. It doesn't look like much but the brisket and sausage at Micklethwait's is better than all that. It's just a trailer and the parking situation is bad and sometimes they run out. It's still worth it. The brisket is done but not overdone, juicy not dry, cut thick but tender. Just excellent. I'm pretty sure they use a salt rub because it is a little salty. Outdoor tables, no amenities. Just great food. The sides are awesome as well. Jalapeno cheese grits, yep grits, killer. Good potato salad, a different kind of cole slaw, very mild and not too sweet. Didn't have room for beans. Had the 2 meat plate and was stuffed. Home made bread too, not the usual packaged loaf. Definitely worth a try.

1  Thank milburn289
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

The line was annoying, 30 minutes at lunchtime, but that is usually a good sign. I have not eaten at every BBQ joint in town, but this was the tastiest I have had recently. Nice moist brisket, great jalapeño cheese grits, delicious beans. Get there early if you want ribs from any animal...