“Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
colorado
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I used to live in Austin in my college days and always enjoyed the funky vibe the area exudes. Robin's Nest is no exception--if you are looking for funky and quirky, then this is the place. However, the funky and quirky bordered on dirty (our room was full of knick knacks that hadn't been dusted in ages) and unaccomodating--the large oversized tub had no shower attachment so we were given a garden type watering can (!!) to use. How difficult is it to purchase a bathtub shower attachment from your local hardware store to upgrade this room?? Our private deck felt like it could collapse at any time and then AC didn't work properly so we spent nights covered in a layer of perspiration. I had requested decaffinated coffee ahead of time but when breakfast came they only had made the high octane stuff and Robin's only response was "sorry". I had to insist they take the time to provide what I had requested since we were paying $250 a night to stay there. Later in the stay, Robin apologized to all the guests for things that gone wrong but I have a feeling this is her M.O. Treat your guest shabbily and then apologize and say circumstances were unusual towards the end of their stay. We won't be back.

• Liked — location--it was close to Lake Travis activities
  • Disliked — room, service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worknplayCO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Antonio Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We read the review from the obvious disgrutled person and cannot believe what she said.....sorry to all but she must have been from New York City.....there is no way Robin would ever say what was stated!!! We love this place and have returned over and over for 5 years!! Robin isn't your average Innkeeper and we love her for that. When you walk in the door, she treats you like her family. If you are looking for 5 star hotel, then do not go. But if you are looking to go to a B&B and enjoy yourself, meet some wonderful friends that return over and over and be treated great by wonderful, true people then give Robin's Nest a try. Hey, the coffee may be in a baggie but it isn't used, she may tell you not to be in the kitchen but that is because she wants you to be outside and relax and she will definitely tell you about "being fired as a waitress" but we promise you, you will love her! Her staff (Tom and Kelly) are wonderful and they care about your happiness while there! We go to Robin's Nest 5+ times a year and love it!
Thanks Robin for making us a "Happy Nester"!!
Mike & Kari Thurman

• Liked — Relaxed atomosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Happy to hear that Lake Travis is back after a years-long drought, we started planning our trip by surfing the web for accomodations. Robin's Nest looked promising, so we followed up with a phone call to Robin and liked her welcoming and warm attitude. Robin's Nest proved to be very versatile. It is located at about the 14th mile marker from Mansfield Dam, in a deep protected cove. There is a private boat dock for our ski, runaround boat. You can swim or fish right off the dock, which is just a couple of easy steps to the rooms. This was important to us because we are too lazy to climb up and down steep steps to the Lake. The rooms were comfortable, the porches huge and shady, and breakfasts were brought to us in a basket (very convenient and fun). The accomodations also seemed very private, like we were the only ones there, but then we were there in the middle of the week (T-F). We were happy to have cable TV service so my sports freak husband could watch NBA finals and the French Opens. Robin's is right around the corner from a Yacht Club where we luanched the boat for free. We boated up to their restaurant, Aunt Tilly's , for dinner one night. On Thursday night we walked back for Open Mike Night. It had a great funky Austin vibe. Anyway, even though this live music venue is just next door, you couldn't hear a thing from inside the room, but if you sat out on the porch it's like your own private concert. On our last night, a young couple with a child about 5 checked in to the room above us. They fished off the dock for hours using bacon and hotdogs for bait. So cute! I definitely recommend this B&B. It is easy for me to imagine that any group or individual will find what they are looking for in this versatile place. Oh, the Lake Travis water quailty was fantastic too. Temp about 77 and after 3 days in the water, the boat didn't have even a trace of a water line. Thanks and good luck to Robin's Nest!

• Liked — Easy access to the Great Lake Travis
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
georgetown, tx
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I just spent my 1st anniversary at the Robin's Nest, and I can't stop telling people about it. First of all, my husband didn't plan anything, so I called on Wednesday before Memorial Day Weekend. No rooms, duh. But wait... I get a call back on my cell phone 30 minutes later from Robin herself, telling me that she has upgraded another couple, moved people around and carried the 1 to end up with a room for me. Perfect!

We were greeted on arrival, shown the lovely green grounds and beautiful private lake cove, and were settled in the quaint, comfortable, eclectic Boat Room in no time. We ate at Hudson's On the Bend (best wild game for my hubby/ gourmet vegetarian dish for me that we've had in a long time), just a mile or so from the B&B, and had our dessert comped for staying at the Robin's Nest.

Back to the room, where we relaxed on the patio with gorgeous trumpet vine overhead, then were invited on an evening boat ride by our neighbors, a pair of regulars at the Robin's Nest.

The next morning, we shared breakfast with 6 others under a gigantic vine covered patio. Fabulous blueberry pancakes, fresh squeezed juice, herbed eggs and jimmy dean sausage for my carnivore husband. We were going to have our breakfast delivered to the room, but opted for the social setting with our new found friends.

As we were leaving, I commented to Robin about how lovely some of the plants on the grounds were, and at her insistence, I left with a bag of cuttings to take a piece of Robin's Nest back to my nest.

If you want the Hyatt (stuffy rooms, stuffy staff) go there, but if you want a casual, friendly, relaxed feel in a gorgeous eclectic garden setting which is TRUE AUSTIN, come here. We'll be coming back for many more anniversaries.

• Liked — the proprietor
  • Disliked — no internet
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We stayed at this B&B in conjunction with a conference and were looking forward to a pleasant stay as it was advertised as a lakeview room for $250 a night. We found a few things lacking in such an expensive place, but probably would not be writing this had things not gone downhill in a hurry. When we checked in, we were not told when or where breakfast was to be served. As were were attending an event that started at 9:30, we went to the office to check on breakfast after 9:00. The owner was in the adjoining kitchen. She first ignored us, then told us impatiently the coffee was outside. When we inquired about breakfast, we were told it would be up shortly and by the way, "get the hell out of my kitchen." We have stayed in many B&B's over the years, but have never been treated this way. Other problems were:

1. Used towels were not replaced.

2. The coffee served in the room was grocery store coffee in a used baggie. Teas also seemed old.

3. There was no hair dryer. We asked for one, and promised one, but it was never furnished.

4. The view of the lake was miniscule.

5. A loud party occurred on the outside deck below us on the second night. It went on into the night and was advertised by signs posted around the B&B. Most B&B's are quiet couple retreats, so this was very unusual.

6 . The breakfast served was scrambled eggs with undercooked sausage and dried up jellies served in little containers like you get in cafes. It was unspreadable. The fruit was mushy and appeared to be serveral days old. Most B&B's serve elegant, delicious food.

7. Light bulbs were missing.

When we asked for a refund, we were given token refund and a gift certicate for a future stay, which we don't intend to use.

• Liked — The location close to the conference. Gardens wer nice.
  • Disliked — Rude innkeeper, terrible breakfast, substandard service.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank bedandbrkfastfan
Louisiana
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Last week I spend a marvelous three nites at Robin's Nest on Lake Travis (near Austin,TX). Our group shared two units and had great fun. The place is charming, clean, neatly decorated, and Robin is a fantastic host. She is caring and charming. I will be a repeat guest every time I want to get away to a secluded place on a nice lake. Thanks Robin!
Sinclair Dameron
Port Allen, LA

• Liked — Proximity to beautiful lake.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 18, 2007

My wife & I stayed for 2 weekend nights, then came back just a few days later for a 3rd night. Robin's Nest is a cool little spot tucked away by the lake, the staff is friendly and accomodating, and the rooms and funky & artsy. This isn't the 4 seasons though, so if you want to be waited on hand & foot or an immaculate spa or seared foie gras from room service at 10 p.m., don't stay here. If you want a funky, eclectic getaway where you can't imagine where the the room decor came from, you can have a glass of wine by the lake with the owner, and have breakfast brought to your room in the morning, you're good to go. The other reviewers who gave Robin's Nest a bad rap are clearly the high-maintenance types who were expecting double airline miles for their stay. You can bring your dogs too (call ahead first), and that's even better. Hang out, swim in the lake with your dogs, have a good time.

• Liked — Accomodating staff, quiet getaway without crowds
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SMUJD07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
Sonesta Bee Cave Austin
Sonesta Bee Cave Austin
#1 of 2 in Bee Cave
Casa del Sol Bed and Breakfast at Lake Travis

Been to Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!