“Fun place to meet and nibble”
Review of FINO Restaurant - CLOSED

FINO Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Campus
Cross street: 29th Street
Description: FINO focuses on Mediterranean cuisines, with dishes from Spain, France, Greece, Italy & North Africa. FINO offers these flavors using local & seasonal ingredients when available. The dinner menu offers tapas & small plates which encourage sharing & tasting many different flavors. The dinner menu also offers salads & big plates including Paellas. The wine list offers over 100 labels with many Spanish & French wines, plus selections from Portugal, Italy & the U.S. FINO's full bar offers specialty cocktails, nightly happy hour specials & seasonal house Sangria, by the glass or pitcher. At FINO you can choose to dine inside or out on the covered patio. Inside detailed lighting dictates the ambiance for a festive bar scene & intimate dining. The Patio Dining features a smoking area & heaters for those occasionally cooler Austin nights. Please call with any special requests.
Reviewed June 10, 2012

FINOs is a lovely place to meet friends for a glass of wine or sangria and have quality tapas or a meal. They have indoor and outdoor dining and an outdoor sitting area. Located near campus, they are on the 2nd floor with ADA access. It is open, airy and lively. Their food is delicious yet not large servings. It is a perfect place to meet and catch up with a friend.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Traditionally, I really don't want to brag on places that are truly special. It is completely a narcissistic tendency. I don't want folks to show up and create a longer wait than usual. However, I just totally need to update my review of Fino. It's hard to believe it's been almost 5 years since I reviewed them. Since then some truly special and awesome things have transpired.

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor a couple of years back. I got the news on a thursday and surgery was scheduled on the following monday. It was a pretty big deal. Suzie and I really didn't know what to expect, and it was certainly something that life can throw you up the ultimate curve ball.. no-one is expected to hit it and it's your third strike.... We were basically still in shock on friday, after spending most of thursday weeping and wondering if my miss spent youth had created this issue for me. In my usual fashion, I was ignoring the obvious and making plans for death basically. Suzie was petrified and had just returned to town from her fathers 90th birthday party. She had left me with a headache to return to my tumor. I wanted to to have a relaxed dinner, somewhere where it would be intimate and not one of our frequent stops, since we really were in no mood to celebrate. Fino, is just down the street from my office and since I was in my office, being all diligent and crap, we wandered down to Fino.

The location happened to be where I took my now bride for our first afternoon date when it was Granite Hill Cafe. Seemed like we had come full circle. We grabbed one of the little two tops in the main dining area and previewed the menu. Always such wonderful options available. Fried Anchovy Stuffed Olives, yup get them. Hummus if it's on the menu, get it. Their daily specials are usually something you may not have heard of, so get that as well. The lamb burgers are sublime and some of the best calamari with an amazing pepper sauce which I always forget the name of. We got our entrees and some great wine and adverted eye contact since that just brought tears and enjoyed our meals. I ordered some Champagne, why the heck not, and started talking to Suzie about all the things I have in place for her just in case. I was all about being properly prepared. We eventually finished and it was time to go. Our waitress, who happened to be fantastic came over and I asked her to tab us out. She told us the tab was taken care of...

What the... She wished me the best and told us again, the tab had been taken care of. I asked for the manager to come over, that we didn't expect any special treatment. He came over and just simply said, we wish you the best on Monday, get well and come back and celebrate with us... Suzie and I were just dumbfounded... I threw a couple of twenty's on the table for our waitress and we left. Touched and just gobsmacked. Apparently our waitress had overheard our conversation and related it to the management. Yes, I had been coming into Fino for awhile and perhaps they recognized us, but nonetheless, completely unnecessary, but graciously accepted.

This is one of the many reasons why Fino has such a place in my heart. The food has consistently been exceptional and the bar.. well snort down a few Indian Paint Brushes with KK or Holly and it becomes a high end PARTY. The care and attention which the bartenders take in making your drink is phenomenal. Great care and a multitude of different ingredients will make you a unique drink, not found anywhere in Austin. Always plenty of parking. Now that the season is here to be able to enjoy being outside, the patio is fantastic to enjoy our one month of spring. Do it.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I like this restaurant -- it's very comfortable to be there with family or friends.
It's hard to pin down the cuisine but definitely a Mediterranean flavor with an
emphasis on small plates. Also good for lunch with an excellent wine list.
For starters, the pork pinchitos and the anchovy olives are excellent; then the
Texas quail and the fried goat cheese; and the paella is a choice to consider.
Fino is noted for its cocktails, but on the wine selection side, the vina sastre
(ribera del duero) and the rioja (r. lopez de heredia, vina cubillo) are favorites!
After much back and forth, I think that sitting on the bar side is preferable, and
with good weather definitely sit outside.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Very accomodating staff. Our party arrived and departed in stages. Not a problem for the restaurant. Offers full bar and extensive Spanish wine choices. We had paella that was prepared perfectly. Will return.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Had dinner at Fino's last week. The restaurant has a very nice atmosphere. You can sit outside in the breeze and enjoy your meal or just cocktails. I enjoyed our appetizers, really tasty. I was very disappointed in the Paella, the flavor is not at all what Paella should be like. It was very dry and not the traditional spanish Paella.