“A hidden gem! Lola rocks!”

Nubian Queen Lola's Cajun Kitchen
Ranked #1,475 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Neighborhood: East Austin
Neighborhood: East Austin
“A hidden gem! Lola rocks!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

This is like eating dinner at your Louisiana grandma's kitchen.....if you have a grandma from Louisiana! Lola is a wonderful lady. She welcomed us in, cooked us a great meal, then sat down and visited with us for awhile. I would go back in a heartbeat!
The fried chicken is stellar, the yams sweet and tasty just like the ones I had in NOLA!!! Spicy ettoufe, smokey greens.....yum!!!!

Visited April 2014

“Bit Bizarre”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I went there last week around noon, and the door was locked. There was a message taped to the door saying that if no one was there, to call the cell number listed. I did, and was told that she was getting her car fixed. Won't rush back, or if I do, I'll bring some spark plugs & a wrench.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank MaromeroInsonable
Elgin, Texas
“You can judge this book by its cover.”
Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

It was noon and she was supposed to be open at 11. She was walking in from a trip to HEB. There was a screaming baby in a crib in the diner. I asked for something quick and she heated up a bowl of gumbo for me. There was an old oven sitting on the counter. The place was filthy and trash was just laying in the hallway. After eating half the bowl of gumbo which was okay and some microwaved corn bread I found a dead fly in the bowl. I stopped eating and decided to leave. When I went to pay she said that she did not have any change. My bill was $11.85. I had 4 ones and a $20. I had to give her the $20! I should have just gave her the $4 and left! You can judge this book by its cover.

1 Thank mln6613
Austin, Texas
“By far the best Cajun food in town!”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Queen Lola's is my absolute favorite restaurant in town. Queen Lola herself serves the most authentic & DELICIOUS Cajun food in Austin, (if not all of Texas)!
Upon enjoying the cuisine at this restaurant, one is not only indulging in delicious flavors, but supporting her efforts in providing to much needed nourishment to members of the homeless community. As the founder and primary chef at this restaurant, Queen Lola is truly a saint in her altruistic dedication to serving hungry members of the homeless community.

• Visited January 2012
“What an Experience!”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Lola's Nubian Queen Cajun Kitchen Is the closest thing to Mardi Gras without making a trip to New Orleans. From the moment you step into the place it is a unique experience. From Lola herself to the food she prepares the spirit envelops the visitor as they cross the threshold.

Gospel music and the smells of soul food fill the intimate space. Gumbo, etouffee, chicken wings and pork chops are among the menu items that have built a loyal clientel. A friend commented," It's like eating in someone's home!" For a dining experience that lifts the spirit and body the Nubian Queen is not to be missed.

Recently reviewed in Southern Living. Closed on Sunday to feed the homeless.

3 Thank roadtaken