“Good value (you get what you pay for), good location”

Super 8 Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
Ranked #98 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Brisbane, Australia
“Good value (you get what you pay for), good location”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The room and bathroom were clean and spacious and the motel is in a pretty good location. It's much cheaper to stay here on the edge of downtown rather than a central downtown location where you would also have to pay for parking. On the downside, the room is not soundproof so you can hear the traffic from the I-35.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzieLee71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2010

So, the staff were actually kind of nice. But the door to our room didn't close very well, you had to pull up on the door handle in order to get the door to securely latch. The room was overall dingy, but kind of clean. One blanket did appear to be washed, but was a static rich material and had hair all over it. We pulled it off the bed and used sheets only. The location is sort of close to downtown, easy enough walk ~ 1 mile. But, you have to cross the interstate. Traffic did not keep me up at night, the room did get plenty dark, the a/c (when turned on) did get cold. Not romantic, not a get-away, not recently updated or on par with newer Super8s. Low quality, I would pay no more than 60 bucks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
austin
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I woke up about 3 minutes till checkout and decided I wanted to sleep in. So I decided to get the room for another night. I called the office at 12:01 to see if the room was available. The front desk/manager started yelling at me because check out was at 12:00! So as rude as he was, I went to pay for the room anyways, and he yelled at me for so long I changed my mind! He was absolutely out of line and insulting. There was nobody else staying at the place anyway! He obviously hates anyone who wants to give him money for doing his job! This man should be fired and never allowed to work in costumer service again. I feel sorry for his daughter (who checked us in the night before), she seemed too sweet to be spawned by that man. She should take his job... I bet the place would do a lot better.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed December 14, 2009

So, this a motel, right? This a motel in TX, ok. But I have to say, that while I did not experience the terrible customer service that others were ranting about, this place was a little scary when staying there alone the first night. Walls are thin, agreed. And the locks on the doors seem easily manipulated. Also, I definitely went through the effort of removing all of my valuables from the room before I left each day because I was concerned about thievery. Nothing was ever taken, but the rooms were barely cleaned at the end of the day, anyway. A great place to crash for a night - great walking distance from 6th street, cheapest and closest place to stay in Austin, free wireless and continental breakfast from 8-10. But don't you dare enter alone!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Conovela08
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Ok for a couple nights. Great location, very near 6th street downtown and capitol building. Cheap cab ride to airport. Complaint: baby crying in an adjacent room for about 3 hours in the dead of night, walls were very thin.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed October 27, 2009

The general manager of this hotel might be the worst thing about an otherwise terrific town. My friend and I were in town for a chartiy bike race, flying in from different cities. But his flight was delayed, and he had booked the room. So he tried to add my name so I could check in, which led to the manager berating me, yelling at me, and insulting me. A customer rep from an online travel site (where original reservation was made) called him to try to resolve it, and the manager yelled at her. Things finally got resolved. But when I checked out the manager went back at me, in front of other customers, yelling at me and being as rude as you could possibly imagine a hotel manager being. All I ever wanted to do was check into my damn room, and provided a credit card and ID in doing so, but the guy was relentless, disrespectful, and outright rude. But for the fact that it was one of the few remainig places with rooms that weekend, I would have left in a heartbreak. Super 8 should fire this guy and put someone in there who actually wants paying customers. Next time I'm in Austin, I would rather sleep on a park bench than stay at this joke of a motel. On top of all that, the place is ridiculously overpriced. For a few bucks more, you can stay at the Embassy Suites or Radisson, closer to downtown and SoCo, without getting yelled at by the hotel manager.

The motel (it is a motel) is about what you'd expect, but it's overpriced

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank mfdco
Liberty,Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We booked a "Suite", 3 QS beds - what a disappointment ! The carpet, furnitures were old and dirty, the room smelly and the bathroom stinky.
Pool was green and could not be used.
A/C rattling loud and all night noise from people hollering and cussing on their cellphones right in front of our door and window - it was TERRIBLE !
We cancelled the next night we have booked and "fled" this nightmare.
If you want to stay at a SUPER-great Hotel check out Springhill Suites (by Marriot), 10936 Stonelake Blvd.,Austin,TX 78759 (if you don't mind driving about 7 min. to downtown Austin).You can go online and book this Hotel for almost the same price than what we paid for the Super 8 dump.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family