“Good Value, Walk to Downtown, Thin Walls”

Super 8 Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
Ranked #100 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Good Value, Walk to Downtown, Thin Walls”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Ok for a couple nights. Great location, very near 6th street downtown and capitol building. Cheap cab ride to airport. Complaint: baby crying in an adjacent room for about 3 hours in the dead of night, walls were very thin.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Colorado
Reviewed October 27, 2009

The general manager of this hotel might be the worst thing about an otherwise terrific town. My friend and I were in town for a chartiy bike race, flying in from different cities. But his flight was delayed, and he had booked the room. So he tried to add my name so I could check in, which led to the manager berating me, yelling at me, and insulting me. A customer rep from an online travel site (where original reservation was made) called him to try to resolve it, and the manager yelled at her. Things finally got resolved. But when I checked out the manager went back at me, in front of other customers, yelling at me and being as rude as you could possibly imagine a hotel manager being. All I ever wanted to do was check into my damn room, and provided a credit card and ID in doing so, but the guy was relentless, disrespectful, and outright rude. But for the fact that it was one of the few remainig places with rooms that weekend, I would have left in a heartbreak. Super 8 should fire this guy and put someone in there who actually wants paying customers. Next time I'm in Austin, I would rather sleep on a park bench than stay at this joke of a motel. On top of all that, the place is ridiculously overpriced. For a few bucks more, you can stay at the Embassy Suites or Radisson, closer to downtown and SoCo, without getting yelled at by the hotel manager.

The motel (it is a motel) is about what you'd expect, but it's overpriced

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank mfdco
Liberty,Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We booked a "Suite", 3 QS beds - what a disappointment ! The carpet, furnitures were old and dirty, the room smelly and the bathroom stinky.
Pool was green and could not be used.
A/C rattling loud and all night noise from people hollering and cussing on their cellphones right in front of our door and window - it was TERRIBLE !
We cancelled the next night we have booked and "fled" this nightmare.
If you want to stay at a SUPER-great Hotel check out Springhill Suites (by Marriot), 10936 Stonelake Blvd.,Austin,TX 78759 (if you don't mind driving about 7 min. to downtown Austin).You can go online and book this Hotel for almost the same price than what we paid for the Super 8 dump.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed February 3, 2009

When we went to check in we found out that my friend had accidentally hit the "submit" button twice on the reservation and we had 2 rooms. Before we could even say that it was a mistake the manager came out screaming at us telling us we have to pay for 2 rooms, no refunds, waving a piece of paper in our face. I tried to calmly explain that we made a mistake and as the hotel looked empty they didn't lose out on another reservation. Once the word "mistake" came out of my mouth he went on another rampage. "No mistake, no mistake, this is not my fault, you are paying for 2 rooms." Rude, evil, mean, rabid.... his tone of voice was not professional at all. So we called Super 8, they said they would look into it. As we hadn't checked in yet my friend decided to cancel his card so the room could not be charged and we were going to another hotel. The manager quickly charged 1 room but the card was cancelled before he was able to process the second charge. He threatened to sue and called us horrible people. So, we paid for the 1 room and got it. Dirty and disgusting. The lock on the door was held on by 1 screw instead of 4. Hole in the bathroom wall patched with yellow putty with finger holes in it, brown disgusting rot on the baseboards. We didn't pay much, but I've stayed in much nicer Super 8 echelon hotels. The next day Super 8 called back to say that it was a mistake and we would not be charged for the room, or sued for that matter. Why couldn't the manager be so kind? Or at least patient. Possibly the rudest human being I've ever encountered.

• Liked — The girl at the front desk who was polite and stood up the the evil manager and told him to shut up.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, manager
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cantfindaname033
bryanandmeg
Reviewed January 23, 2009

The owner/GM of this hotel is very rude - he is not accommodating at all! The young woman I initially called and spoke with on the phone was very kind and professional. When I called to change my reservation a few days later and spoke with the general manager, this man was rude and was YELLING at me on the phone! He LIED about their 1-800 number representatives, saying they could help me and that he could not. When I called them they told me it was all up to him! I wasn't even asking for my money back! All I wanted to do was change the date and I told him I would pay the difference - I'm not unreasonable. He was VERY RUDE and yelled again at my husband when he called. There was a no cancellation policy on the room I booked, and I was aware of that. The 1-800 representatives told me that he was able to change the reservation as long as there was no refund. Well Rafik - the general manager - would NOT change it and hung up on me. So now I can't go the nights I booked and he is keeping my money - while it's legal, it's very unethical seeing as how he could easier switch to the date I need (because the 1-800 number representatives told me so). TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE - I would not introduce this man to my worst enemy!

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bryanandmeg
Kuala lumpur
Reviewed October 12, 2008

The hotel is ill maintain. I am having real hard time to open the room's door. It is quite noisy during the nite. The front desk lady by the name Halen is very helpful. She came up to help to open my room's door twice. Very professional young lady.

• Liked — Front desk service
  • Disliked — Poorly maintained
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed here for one Saturday night on a tour of Texas from the United Kingdom. The hotel is about 20 minutes walk to 6th street. Our room was pretty much as expected for this standard of hotel - pretty worn and could have been cleaned a bit better. The pool was clean and breakfast just about adequate. Staff were a bit indifferent but we were not really demanding of them and I certainly would not have wanted to meet up with the general manager as stated in another review.
In all a pretty basic experience and I am sure there must be better hotels in the area, even on a Super 8 budget.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Well worn room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple