“Basic value”

Ranked #93 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Basic value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed here for one Saturday night on a tour of Texas from the United Kingdom. The hotel is about 20 minutes walk to 6th street. Our room was pretty much as expected for this standard of hotel - pretty worn and could have been cleaned a bit better. The pool was clean and breakfast just about adequate. Staff were a bit indifferent but we were not really demanding of them and I certainly would not have wanted to meet up with the general manager as stated in another review.
In all a pretty basic experience and I am sure there must be better hotels in the area, even on a Super 8 budget.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Well worn room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

The general manager named Rasik at this hotel is the rudest human being I have ever encountered in all my travels. Do not stay at this hotel!

My first interaction with him was when I called the hotel directly to try and extend my stay. Big mistake! He yelled at me and started bad mouthing the operators on the Super 8 toll free reservations line. Completely unprofessional. I figured he was just having a bad day so didn't cancel my reservation. On my day of arrival, when I was trying to check in, he started yelling at me again and calling me a liar. He wouldn't honor my reservation rate that I had been promised from the reservations line and he told me he had already charged my credit card, waving the receipt in the air and laughing. Needless to say, I left the hotel and went to another down the street. I called the reservations line and got all my money back after a few weeks.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Mesquite, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

I can almost guarantee you'll regret it if you go here!!! It's not worth it, trust me! We were originally booked for a 1st floor room, but they goofed and put us in a smoking room, when we had clearly specified non-smoking when we booked it online. So they had to relocate us to a 3rd floor room, which is a pain b/c it involves lots of walking up and down stairs (or you can brave the stinky elevator). Also, the carpet was FILTHY. You couldn't walk from the bed to the bathroom without getting a layer of black gunk on your feet. It even got on the bottom of my pajama pants! Also, it was so very noisy. There was a dog in a room near ours that barked throughout the night. The staff didn't take care of that problem until the 2nd night, when we called several times until it was taken care of. That, combined with the sound of the traffic, and the teenage girls that kept running up and down the breezeway, was enough to keep us up all night. We were so tired the next day, that we had to skip going to Barton Springs so that we could take a nap! It sucked! Next, the air coming out of the a/c unit had a very distinct musty smell, which was very unpleasant. Finally, we couldn't communicate with the cleaning woman because she didn't speak a lick of English. I'm not normally a picky person, but the quality of this stay was ridiculous. Will never, ever go back. The trip would have been alot more enjoyable if we'd been able to sleep! If we had been staying more than 2 nights, I would have gone to another hotel!

• Liked — location was good
  • Disliked — location was the ONLY good thing. service, cleanliness, etc was not good at all!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

Hotel clerks were very unhelpful and borderline rude. We had a horrible room right next to a maintenance room that people were in and out of all night so we were awoken several times and we were right across from the ice machine that we could hear people at, including a maintenance man at 4:30AM that was filling a cooler, yea, it was so loud in our room we got up to see what it was. The pool was full of the motel staff's family/friends, so no way was there any chance of swimming.
Rates not worth the misery!

• Liked — It was next to Baby Acapulcos
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

We just returned from our first visit in Austin and we must say the Super 8 was the perfect fit. We needed an inexpensive option close to the airport and after reading the reviews on this web site we rolled the dice and booked with the Super 8.

We booked a king bed suite directly through the hotel. At a rate of under $100 a night we we're hesitant but we felt so lucky to have taken the chance. I read that people had difficulty finding the hotel but we had no issue. Check in was very quick and smooth. The lobby though small did have as advertised, DVD's for rent, 2 large screen TV's, couches to sit on, a counter for evening snacks, and a shoe buffer. Our room was spacious and very clean with plenty of drawer space, a mini fridge, microwave, DVD player and not to mention a 52 in big screen TV. The couch wasn't very comfortable but the bed more than made up for it with nice linens and an incredibly comfortable pillow top. Another nice touch was a radio/ipod dock. The bathroom had all the basics, marble counter, hair dryer, shaving mirror, hot water. The shower had a curved rod so the curtain bowed out which was nice because the curtain wasn't pressed against us. The one negative was the upper portion of the tub wasn't so clean.

Breakfast was on par with most hotels in this category, nothing special but enough to get your day started. Other nice touches were the free wi-fi and business center. Overall we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel and we see no reason to spend $60- $100 more to stay at a similar Courtyard or Hampton Inn.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

This was easily the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. I have stayed at hotels all over the world too. I'm not a prissy snob who has to stay at the Hilton , and I've stayed at Super 8 hotels as well.

I only ended up here because I wanted to book a last minute trip to Austin and the alternative hotels were upwards of $300 a night. This hotel charged $89/night + tax with a AAA discount. I was surprised to see that the hotel was asking for $200 a night to people who came without a reservation. Frankly, this is highway robbery.

The first thing that will strike you when you enter the hotel room is the smell. Its a combination of smoke, mold, mildew. I noticed a candy wrapper next to the bed so it's obvious it's not cleaned, and I can only imagine the filth on the bedspread and under the bed.

There was NO HOT WATER any morning after 10 AM. That is just absolutely intolerable.

The breakfast is just plain bad. Better off spending $5 at McDonalds for a hot breakfast.

The location is pretty good. Its walking distance to 6th street. However, the walk along the way is quite sketchy. I saw drug deals going down and there are tons of unsavory characters hanging about.

In the future, I will never stay here again. I would rather stay at a comfortable hotel a few miles out of town and take a cab. Especailly if you are out late, you need a good night sleep to have the energy to party some more.

To summarize, the biggest rip-off I have ever experienced. but hey, it made for a great story. Oh and don't even think about if if you are with your family. There are too many drunk people making loud noises.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Can't fit it all in this space. Dirty, Rip-off, Crime.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelSpicy
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed at the Austin Super 8 for three nights in October 2007. While this is not a 4 star location, it was perfect for our needs.

Our itinerary centered around hitting the bars on 6th Street and watching a football game at the University of Texas. From the Super 8, we were about a 15 minute walk to the heart of 6th Street, and to football stadium. This meant we didn't have to mess with traffic, parking, or cabs.

The exterior is nothing fancy, but the interior had newer furnishings, was clean, and the microwave/mini-fridge combo was a nice bonus. The continental breakfast was the standard doughnut, cereal, toast fare, but was better than nothing.

If you want a shorter walk or a nicer hotel, then pay the extra money. Also, if you don't want to be bothered by loud partiers coming back from the bars, you might want to look elsewhere (our neighbors were having a lot more fun at 2 am then we were). Otherwise this is a good hotel that won't empty your wallet.

• Liked — The location was walking distance to the 6th Street bars and UT's football stadium
  • Disliked — The water in Austin (city-wide) tastes like dirt.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends