“could do better”

Super 8 Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
Ranked #106 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel was fairly close to Downtown, over the freeway and down, throgh not such a safe looking area,but you carn't blame the hotel for that. the room we had,had a brocken headbord,the bed was not too good, TV with just basic chanals, the pool was locked and a 9am breakfast finish, who on holiday gets up that early/ the staff when we got there were ok, but later in the stay, the next shift were less than helpfull, the vending mashines were not fully working ither( only took coins)

Room Tip: Ask for a twin, the double is pocky
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was the worst hotel i've ever tried to check rates and room avail. by calling the hotel. Manager Rasik couldn't understand American English speaking very well. Couldn't repeat back to me the spelling of my name and address much less the credit card number. He coulnd't even get my e,mail address to send me conformation, I told him i saw the price on internet was different than what he was charging is only comment was "Jump on it " pause "Jump on it", he was very very rude and wish i would have changed locations right then. The room was very very poor condition. Toilet wouldn't flush with out holding handle. room refresh second day was the covers pulled up over sheets,,and no coffee or cleaning of anytrhing, so bring your own towels andd cleaning stuff if you dare to save a few dollars by thinkin that your so close to downtown. Austin is a beautiful city and lots of great things to do all day so just pay the 5 dollar parking fee and drive a few more mins from this hotel. There's some very nice hotels all around this downtown area so do your family a favor and just come out your pocket a few more dollars and stay in a better place, On the check out the same manager was arguing on the phone as we walked in to check out so i asked if he was the manager and i told him he maybe needed to hire a front desk person to talk on phone with customers that understand english better,,he then said to me that i must have been the the one calling on saturday and hanging up on him because of his english,. I told him no i was the one from a couple weeks before, so that would show him that he is upsetting potential guest trying to make resivations over the phone. The only thing i can say nice about the hotel was location. I wish the owner or CEO of Super 8 would go on TV show Undercover Boss to this location.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a better hotel. Austin traffic is not bad so drive a little and pay a par...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tom s
Reviewed June 22, 2012

In terms of distance, the location is alright. But this place is located on a freeway that takes 10 minutes to get across, and you really need to walk another good 10 or 15 minutes to reach any kind of civilisation (save for one or two uninteresting places).

They stop serving breakfast at 9am. 9am??? Why so early? Most other hotels serve until 10 or 11am. So, even though I was on vacation - I got up at 8.30am so that I could eat, but everything was usually gone by this time, and the aloof staff were certainly not interested in replenishing anything.

The rooms are dark and ugly, but reasonably clean at least. Thankfully the wifi worked well, so that was a plus. I've stayed in worse, but I've certainly stayed in better for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ross_L63
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is located within walking distance to 6th Street and Downtown Austin. The rooms are very clean and well-kept. You can obviously tell that the hotel is a bit older but this hotel has aged very gracefully. It's a huge perk to have a fridge and microwave in the room. The beds were very comfortable, as well.

The breakfast at this hotel is top-notch for a free continental breakfast. There are fresh hot waffles, cereals, pastries, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, juices, coffee, and milks. This isn't the typical "toast and coffee" type breakfast.

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay close to the heart of all the action, I'd highly recommend this one!

Room Tip: Rooms have outside entrances; ask for a 2nd floor to have a quieter experience.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Pro's: It's walking distance to 6th street.
Con's: Everything Else

I saw a bug run across my pillow and squished it, inches from my face. It popped, and made a bloodstain on the pillow case. I called the front desk, they sent housekeeping and she looked at the bloodstain and asked where the bug's body was, I pointed to his deflated carcass and she said, "oh yes, there is something in there." I was prepaid for one more night, but after the bed bug incident, I just wanted to pack my clothes in plastic bags and head to the nearest laundromat to wash everything! I checked out early and management refused to refund me for the unused night. He said that he had a pest control company look at the room, and that they had found no bugs. I guess the squished carcass I had shown them didn't count.

If bed bugs don't scare you away, and you simply must stay here, do not prepay with priceline because you will have no recourse when things go bad.

Room Tip: Don't let the bed bugs bite!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashleezona
Reviewed March 27, 2012

You get what you pay for with this (somewhat) inexpensive motel next to I-35 (across the highway from downtown). The rooms are clean, and the cleaning staff is top notch. In-room fridge and microwave are nice. The pool is small and not very inviting, and the free breakfast is pretty average (no eggs, but plenty of carbs). The front desk staff seemed overwhelmed when we arrived, and had trouble keeping our reservation straight. They were a little stressed out, and could certainly upgrade their customer service skills. If you don't mind walking, Red River is just a few blocks away, and the major bars/restaurants of 6th street are less than a mile away. Not sure whether we would stay here again, but it's probably the best value for the location. I might be tempted to pay a little more to be on the downtown side of I-35 next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I needed just one night stay and to basically sleep so I didn't really need to splurge at a nice hotel so I chose this one (since all the other ones were 150 and up or were all booked up). It is close to downtown without being right in the middle where it can get congested driving in and out of downtown. It is right on the freeway once you leave the downtown area. Very close and that was the best.

I came during Spring Break week and the start of SXSW. I didn't even know about this event till a few days before heading out there. The place was fully booked but suprisingly, I didn't see the parking lot to be full. I guess they are partying out there. As for the noise level, suprisingly quiet! During this time, that was not expected.

The exterior was better than I thought. Interior was not terrible but you can see the walls and near the door were old and cracking a bit. The beds were a bit hard and the pillows were very flat as one reviewer had said. There was as small cigarette stain on the bedsheets at the bottom but for the price you paid in downtown, that is what you get.

The front desk had ok owners. They were pleasant and she was polite when a guest had to wait for his room since several workers did not show up. She apologized and I thought that was nice. Today, a simple apology can make all the difference.

Overall, if you are not a picky hoteler and just need a place to sleep for one night, then I'd choose this one IF other hotels are booked or are really more .. but if you can pay another 20 bucks, go somewhere else. It served my purpose.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family