“Good-on-a-budget”

Ranked #93 of 199 Hotels in Austin
NEW YORK
“Good-on-a-budget”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

15 mins walk into town center--and worth it rather than paying $200 a night in most hotels there. Prices here were as low as $55 and as high as $90 for the same room, depending on the night. Courteous and helpful reception staff. A little noisy at night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I made a reservation a month out and later called hotel to add a day. I did not find out until day of arrival the manager messed up my dates on reservation. I then received the run around as they denied all responsability of the mistake. They charged me for night I was not hotel and am currently in process of getting charges removed. I was told even though reservation was messed up I still had a place to stay first night. After arriving late the first night they told me they gave my room away to a internet sell. This was the most horrible experience and the most awful treatment I have ever received. It is worth paying as much as possible to not stay in that motel. I found lodging at another super 8 further up interstate. It was dirty, fridgerator did not work, drains stoppers were broken. It ruined my trip:(

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jennifer m
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Do not recommend staying here. Their rooms are unhygienic and have bed bugs. But the worst part was managements vehement denial of the bed bugs and immediate dismissal of a pest inspection or refund. Their strong defense suggests I wasn't the first victim.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Jlee-steere
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2011

After staying at a fantastic Super 8 in St. Roberts, Missouri, it was hard to imagine that this was a part of that family. But since they are all separately owned and operated -- and region really matters, I guess that it isn't so odd.

This motel sees a lot of traffic, given that it is so close to downtown Austin and is one of the few motels that is affordable around there. The well-worn establishment is often packed on weekends, especially holiday weekends. We wound up there because of an unsatisfactory experience at Baymont Inn & Suites not too far away. Someone had actually walked right into our room in the morning and management did not have a clue as to why. Add to that the bed bug bites we found later - and, well, let's just say we're glad we left that hell hole.

And now back to our program. So we found this place at a decent rate to wait out the rest of the trip so that I could get a decently priced flight home on the 4th.

College students abound here - so if you like a lot of peace and quiet, this ain't the place for you. They do have a policeman stationed there when it is busy, which is nice - so your car is probably safe. But beware - that parking lot gets packed.

The young woman at the front desk who checked us in gave us a very stinky smoking room, despite our request for a non-smoking room. I mean, this place not only wreaked to high hell, but it was right next to the freeway noise and so dark and gloomy, I don't think even a desperate smoker would want to stay in it.

We then got Room 218 which was right in front of a part of the building so that there was barely any light in the room. The airco was revving up and it seemed like it would be okay, which it was. Drab and warn, it's the kind of room that you'd expect in a high-traffic, low price motel. It seemed clean, however, and there was a micro and fridge, which was nice. There is a washer and dryer to use, too. We called to report a huge hole in the wall from the door handle and were promptly told by the front desk woman that it's good we called, or they might have charged us for it. The hole was so deep that it was obvious that many people had banged into it. The TV was placed across from one bed -- they really should have put it in the center of the beds. The Internet worked just fine the whole time we were there - several days.

Cigarette butts and beer cans laced the premises - most likely due to the holiday weekend. The pool seemed just a tad refreshing (which is really all it could be when it's over 100 degrees outside) until my brother discovered a condom wrapper floating in the pool, which sent him running in disgust.

There was a handy CVS right across the street and a pretty good Mexican restaurant called Mexitas where I got some food right next to that. Not far by car is a great little Wendy's for those late nite munchies.

The sheets on one bed were so threadbare that they had pills all over them. I would have just had them make the bed, but those sheets were nasty so I had them changed the next day. Housekeeping is hit or miss. Sometimes they'd replenish soap, sometimes not. Despite flipping the tag requesting housekeeping service, and the fact that I left a tip everyday -- we were skipped over our last night and had no clean linens. Boo. This really surprised me since I saw housekeeping before I left at 1pm and had been leaving money daily. I'm fairly certain that none of those kids were leaving any money, that much is for sure.

Given the location of the place, it is a bargain for anyone wanting to be close to downtown without spending a small fortune. Just a 15-20 minute walk to downtown Austin.

Room Tip: Take a look at the room before you get the key.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank commercesd
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My friends and I travel to Austin pretty frequently to float the river and what not, and we ALWAYS stay at this Super 8. The staff at times isn't the friendliest, once when our room wasn't ready yet, I asked to use the bathroom, and the man working the desk ( I think he owns or manages the place) told me I couldn't use the bathroom even though we'd prepaid for our room! However, the prices are always spot on, and we can get a room with three queen beds! Not only that, the place is walking distance from 6th street. Yes you have to cross a bridge that crosses over the highway, but there IS a SIDEWALK for this purpose. I feel bad for the reviewer that too afraid to walk over a sidewalk.. but the world takes all types... The one time we were too intoxicated to walk back we hailed a cab and it cost us $5 dollars to get back. (Yep, it's that close). This place does in fact have a pool.. I'm not sure how that other reviewer missed seeing it. It's in front of the building, pretty much in the parking lot... I've only had the breakfast once, and it was what you would expect, some box cereal and fruit. Whatever its complimentary, I love cereal! All in all I'd recommend this place to anyone who doesn't need over the top bells and whistles. If you need a clean place to sleep, close to everything downtown, with extremely reasonable prices, this is it. If you want champagne service on a beer budget, you probably are not going to find that in Austin.

Room Tip: Join Wyndam free rooms!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank d4whatver82
Lake Luzerne, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Easy check in and out with friendly personal. Very clean room with comfortable beds & plenty of towels. WiFi available but didn't use. Easy on and off Hwy. Nice outdoor pool. Continental breakfast was ok for a quick start. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank wanderer696
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Average motel. Expect to spend a while waiting when checking in/checking out. After approx. 8pm the staff speak to you through a bullet proof window, which doesn't inspire much confidence in the safety of the area, although we didn't experience any problems.

The rooms were an average motel size, clean enough with standard amenities. Be prepared to wear some kind of footwear at all times though, as the soles of our feet turned black after walking around on the carpet for only a short while.

In the immediate area there is a Walgreens and a Mexican restaurant which is convenient. Triple Crown Tattoo is only a couple of blocks away which is an awesome shop. Would also recommend trying the Hot Dog King on 8th & Red River Sts - great veggie dogs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple