“Great hotel -- internet was terrible -- big problem for working in room”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #43 of 204 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 13, 2009

The upside: nice hotel in perfect location, very clean, spacious well designed rooms, nice downstairs lounge area, good breakfast. Staff were very friendly.

Downside: their internet was very unreliable. Worked OK sometimes -- other times was so slow as to be nonfunctional. My husband and I both had work to get done during our stay, and the poor connectivity made it *extremely* frustrating.

At one point husband had a work crisis, and had to sit on the phone with his boss fuming while he waited 30+ minutes for his email to download. Yeah, that's fun.

Sorry, but when I pay almost $300/night for a hotel (we stayed almost a week), I expect *all* the utilities (hot water, electricity, and internet) to be adequate.

I loved this hotel but I can't risk staying someplace where I'm unable to get work done. So I may or may not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2009

Using my birthday as an excuse my DH and I "won" the Residence Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center on Priceline for $95.00. The hotel was easy to find and the underground parking was great. Check in was smooth. The clerk overheard my husband say to me, "I hope we get a room on a high floor", so she was sweet enough to give us a room on the 12th floor. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The bed was soft with nice linens and my husband loved the lounge chair in the room. The room included a full size fridge, a microwave, cook top, and dishwasher. We only stored a couple of soft drinks in the fridge, but if you needed those kind of amenities they were there! We were just a short walk away from 6th St. and just down the road from the Capitol. We really enjoyed our stay @ the Residence Inn and would happily stay there again!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teacher91
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel during SXSW for the last 3 years, the services is amazing, the location is great and the rooms are wonderful. The only problem I have ever had was that one night the elevator was not working and they had to take us to the service elevator, but it was fixed by morning. This hotel is amazing and is highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2009

My laptop was stolen while i stayed here. i stayed about 3 months on business. the hotel itself is very new and clean but i would try to find another if i were you. like others have said the staff is clueless about security. they believe that someone from the homeless shelter down the road stole it. i was in the food area. but i am not so sure it wasnt an inside job. they said they didnt see anyone on their cameras for the night it was stolen

also the noise from 6th street can keep you up at night.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Stayed at the Residence Inn for six nights and loved it. The service and employees were first rate. My room was very comfortable and clean. Good housekeeping staff. Nice kitchen area in the room. The hotel in general was very clean and well kept. Decent breakfast. One block from 6th St. so close to the night life. Congress street bridge is a nice walk if you are into watching the bats fly at dusk. The things that were less than stellar: a bit pricy; they only serve Bud Light at the light dinner, which is kept in a pitcher...not great beer served a little warm and flat; food at the light dinner is only okay (the cookies are good); if you are super sensitive it might be a bit noisy if staying in a room that faces toward 6th St...even if you are on the top floor. I don't include it in my rating but be forewarned the Champions restaurant attached to the hotel was not good. Possibly the worst chicken ceasar salad I've ever had, mediocre service. But there are PLENTY of good placed to eat close by. I'd stay at this hotel again and will recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank picgla
Reviewed September 4, 2008

This was my first time in Austin, and after doing tons of research I decided on the Residence Inn. First of all the staff was absolutely amazing, from the bright cheery front desk staff to the amazing bar staff in the restaurant! I was travelling alone and they were more than willing to help me find the best places to go to make my trip more enjoyable.
The room was fantastic! Beautiful contemporary decor, with all the amenties of a small apartment. I wasn't missing anything! The room was exceptionally clean as well. The only thing is, that it is located quite close to the 6th St. district so it can be a little noisy at night, but excellent location for those looking for a good time.
I would highly recommend this hotel, and I plan to visit again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank reverend2
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed 6 nights in late June 2008 for a conference. Hotel is like new. Our studio room was large and comfortable. The hot breakfast was above average, good selection including healthy items. Great location, one block from convention center, one block from the Hilton (our conference was at Hilton). Bar/restaurant in the adjoining Marriott Courtyard was comfortable and pleasant. Bell staff and front desk service at the Residence Inn was particularly warm and helpful.

Hotel is near the rough and rowdy end of 6th. The upscale part is several blocks to the west (near Whole Foods) and you'll want a cab for that. Many good restaurants within walking distance of hotel including Stubbs BBQ.

Fun restaurants and upscale clubs on 4th are an easy 5 minute walk. Try the Ginger Man pub for a mellow darts evening with 100 beers on tap.

Hotel neighborhood is very safe, lots of foot traffic at night. The "bat bridge" viewing area on Lake Austin is easy ten minute walk. Access to the hiking/biking trail is just two blocks from the hotel, and it is wonderful. We rented bikes from Mellow Johnny's for the week and rode all over the terrific trail system.

Our studio room was big enough for us, all our stuff, and two bicycles. We had no trouble at all getting up and down the elevators with the bikes.

The indoor pool is small but clean. The exercise room has good quality machines.

We liked this hotel, would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank sedmai
Travelers also viewed these Austin hotels
0 mi away
#26 of 204 in Austin
1 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!