“Adjacent to the Convention Center and 6th St.”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This hotel was recently renovated and is attached to the Marriott Hotel as well. They share a common area and dining facility. I thought the room was nicely decorated and it was a plus that our room had a full fridge, sink, and kitchen area. It was nice to just park and walk to the convention center across the road or a couple of blocks to 6th street to enjoy the night life. The hotel has a small indoor pool as well as a hot tub and fitness area. I thought the areas were clean and comfortable. We did get a breakfast buffet with our room as well. That was nice not having to leave. I only had one complaint and that may have been our room in particular. It seems, that our closet doors rattled often throughout the night. (You know, those long glass ones). I am not sure if it had to do with a neighbor turning on the water or what but it woke me several times. I did let them know and they offered us a free Starbucks certificate (one in house) and she was apologetic. She said they would get engineering to look into it. Overall I think this is a nice hotel, especially if you plan on enjoying the nightlife on 6th St and not having to drive anywhere. My husband surprised me with this trip to get away from the kids. How sweet is he?!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Kager727,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience during you recent visit to Austin. I am pleased our, larger than normal downtown, rooms and service were a perfect fit for you needs. We did look into the rattle of the closet and were able to tighten a up the rails so the rattle would be eliminated. Thank you for letting us know and giving us the chance to quickly address the noise. We all look forward to your next visit to Austin and hope to remain your hotel of choice when visiting. Thank you!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had a recent conference in Austin, and as a Marriott elite member I try to stay on property.

I've grown disappointed with Courtyard's.... though they are supposed to cater to the business traveler, I just don't get that feeling anymore with lack of complimentary services for frequent guests.

This time around I chose the Residence Inn (which is connected to the Courtyard Downtown), and glad I did. It has been a while since I've stayed at a Residence Inn versus a full-fledged Marriott, but I have to say this has re-opened my thoughts.

Service was nothing but extremely polite. I was delayed arriving by a day due to flight cancelations. I had called the night before, and everything was sorted appropriately with my reservation.

I arrived at 9:30 AM, and the very helpful front desk woman got me checked in right away. My room on the 6th floor didn't have an amazing view, but I was facing north (I think) towards 6th street.

I passed the front desk a bit later, and though there was a sign up saying visit the Courtyard front desk, the same woman gladly helped me with my question.

Breakfast buffet is included when staying at the Residence in Champions restaurant. Not with Courtyard.

Also a nice happy hour from 5-7:30 for Residence Inn guests. Had some nice salad fixins, frito pie and some wings along with chips/salsa. Red and white wines available. My only slight issue is the sole beer choice is Bud Light.... not that pleasant a beer. I'm not knocking free..... I stayed with wine. Would be great to up the game slightly to bring the beer choice in line with the great vibe of the hotel, versus a budget beer.

Walking distance to lots of great stuff including 6th street.

They also have a decent fitness center.

This was my first visit to Austin, and I strangely find myself headed back in a couple weeks. Guess where I chose to stay on the upcoming trip?

Definitely recommend it based on the hospitality and the room quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

PHLflyer S,
Thank you for your review and a huge thank you for trying out the Residence Inn brand once again. Here in Austin we try to offer as much comfort and service and full service Marriott brands and we are all glad you were able to enjoy our efforts. We have taken your tip and will try to rotate our beer selections a bit quicker so our guests have the options to try some different offerings! Thank you very much for staying with us, see you soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Austin is for walking. This gem is located within walking distance of, um, …er, …every neighborhood worth walking to. The hotel is just plain comfortable. It is clean, spacious, genuine, and they feed you breakfast, too. We came for the weekend out of the frigid Midwestern air to listen to music. This was a good idea. I chose Marriott because they never disappoint. We will be back this winter and we will return to the same room if we can. The Residences are an obvious choice in most cities, but this venue is at the top of the charts.

Room Tip: just show up
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Jeff1313,
I hope the music and vibe of Austin helped you to un-thaw at least for a few days! Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you saw the genuine care that our associates display while taking care of each and every guest. They wake up every day and aim to please. Keep watching the listings for the next great music weekend and we will be here to help you warm up! Thank you.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Check in was easy. Our room had fresh decor and was clean. The bathroom was functional but a little on the small side. We didn't use the kitchen. Ask for a corner room. The bed was comfy and breakfast was extensive. The location is central and it's easy to walk anywhere in downtown Austin. Stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Suzanne W,
Thank you for taking time to post your Trip Advisor review. I am very happy that we were able to surprise you during your visit! We work hard to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town and the provide you with the best location to start your exploration of Austin. We will continue to work hard so we are ready to wow you on you next trip to Austin. Thank you!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The quality of the Residence Inn is pretty standard as is the Champions Bar on the first floor, it's clean and fairly basic so I can't really say anything bad about the hotel itself because I got exactly what I paid for. So it's pretty good value. The location is the best part, especially if you're planning to hit the town on 6th St. or walk over to UTs campus or the capiol.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

ee978,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel during your visit to Austin. Having such a central location we are always ready and able to help each guest get the most out of their time in town. We all look forward to the opportunity to entertain in the future and helping you explore more of Austin's culture. Thank you for taking time to post your review! See you soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We checked in for one night to attend a concert at Frank Erwin and were treated like honored guests. Front desk attendant recognized our reward status and escorted us to the elevators! (Nice touch!)

This property is modern and is either new or recently updated. Our queen suite was large, modern, clean, and had everything in working order. Our city view on the top floor was lovely.

We had a full kitchen, small dining table and a lovely sofa area. The room was very comfortable for relaxing as well as sleeping.

When we went to catch a cab for the concert, the bellman remembered us from check in and quickly got us a cab. (Another very nice touch!)

The hotel was very quiet when we returned from the concert and the only noise I heard was bus street noise. This is just part of city dwelling and was lessened by us being on the highest floor of the hotel.

The hotel is adjacent to the sister property, Courtyard, Champions grill (See my review.), and a Starbucks.

The breakfast in the restaurant was complimentary and a delicious version of the Residence Inn breakfast fare.

Valet parking was pricey but convenient (that's downtown hotels for you) and all was good.

I would not hesitate to stay here on my next visit to the area.

Room Tip: I would book a high floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Lermis,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for you weekend of fun and great music! I shared your review with the team yesterday and they were truly excited to hear your kind words. There small enhancements, like the escort to the elevator, are all part of each associates genuine care. They work hard each day to make our guests feel comfortable. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when your return to Austin for your next concert. Thank you!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent two nights in Austin and were very pleased with the experience. It is a strange setup in that it is attached to the Courtyard, which appears to be just as good. The restaurant, Champions, is in the Courtyard but all guests in both hotels get a great free buffet breakfast until 10:30 AM. There are food stations so you do not have to line up behind all others. The food is very good and there are plenty of wait staff around to see to your needs. We also ate dinner one night at Champions and it had some good bar food and exotic beer choices. The front desk staff was fantastic and helpful. The rooms appear to have been renovated recently and are nice and clean. We were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite so we had tons of space. There are stainless steel refrigerators, microwave, dish washer, and range available for cooking needs, if you wish to do so. The living room area has some nice sofas and there are TV's in all three rooms. The Residence Inn has a nice large sitting area with sofas and tables and is a cozy retreat. The price at $108 was very good for a nice downtown hotel, also. The hotel is near the Capitol and other downtown attractions, including the infamous 6th Street bar area. We will stay again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Sliphorn,
Thank you so much for taking time out to post your informative review. I greatly appreciate the fact that you mentioned the service and attention the associates of the hotel provided. They work hard to make each guest feel at home.
As you mentioned our hotel was renovated 2 years ago and the team takes great pride in keeping it looking sharp. Also, we have welcomed our new Champions General Manger and along with Chef they are getting ready to role out their new menus and beverage program, be sure to stop by for even more Craft Beers in 2014!
Thank you for choosing our hotel. We will be ready to host in the near future.