Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I typically expect a lot from Marriott and Residence Inn did not deliver this time around. I reported that my bed was broken but nothing was done about it. It was OK for one night. I would not go back. The location is very convenient, however; so I would recommend for anyone who is not looking for exceptional service and top level amenities. The breakfast was great, however; it stated that the hotel had "complimentary" breakfast but I was charged for it. I am still disputing the bill, who knows how long it will take for Marriott to respond to my query.

Room Tip: Go to higher floors, away from the noise on the street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

WorldTraveler0922,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. My sincere apology for the problems with your bed not being addressed immediately. I sure would not want to sleep in a broken bed for the night and more so I would expect some quick action to make me comfortable. We will be sure to use your experience in our training this week to ensure we focus on our sense of urgency. Please reach out to the hotel at 512-236-8008 and we can help square away the breakfast bill. Again, my apology and we will work hard to show you we are the place with the exceptional associates providing exceptional service in downtown Austin.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were great. Kitchen and nice sitting area in the room. Rooms were a comfortable size. Beds were very comfortable. Clean hotel. Excellent location in an awesome city!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Kyndall W
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to Austin. You will always find our associates in the lobby interacting with our guests and working hard to ensure all of our guests are enjoying their visit. They can also help with any reservations and suggestions for all that Austin has to offer just outside of our front door.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I encountered the worst customer service ever when I checked in to the hotel. I was booked in to this hotel by my employer to participate in training and because I wasn't prepared to give them up front money or a credit card for incidentals I was made to feel stupid in front of the entire lobby. When I tried to have a phone conversation with my manager she insisted that I put my phone on speaker so she could again loudly announce to the lobby and my manager that I didn't have a credit card or enough cash. The room is nice enough but I haven't been able to sleep. My family is having to fax copies of a credit card, photo ID and authorization so that I can continue to stay. Nothing on the hotel web site made any mention of this requirement! This hotel needs to work on their customer service!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Kathy F
MarriottAustinDT, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Kathy F.,
Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your experience. Our team takes pride in their customer service and since your experience have been working on addressing those moments that can be awkward to our guests. As with any major hotel, a credit card or cash deposit for incidentals is always required during the stay and the team has worked on better ways to communicate this scenario in the event something similar arises in the future. We extend our sincere apology for the way you felt this request was handled and do hope you are able to enjoy the remainder of your training.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Wonderful location. But the girl who checked me in took a strange dislike to me and was so very rude. Was traveling with my son...He even commented on how awful she was. Checked in Monday, September 30 at 2:00. Wished I could have changed hotel. She was that mean!

Room Tip: Just hope you don't get The Mean Girl!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hates_golf
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

hates_golf ,
Thank you for letting me know about the experience you had with one of our associates. Our guests are the reason we come to work every day and when I read about a poor situation it is very disappointing. I have the honor of working side by side our amazing associates every day and I will help the associate you encountered sharpen her skills. Again, thank you for informing me of your experience and for giving me a chance to work to improve our team.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Marriott Residence Inns are always my first choice when traveling and this property is one if the finest!

The staff is extremely friendly and the guests are greeted morning and nite with a friendly smile and a "welcome" when coming and going.

The General Manager, David Malmberg, is ever present and can be seen in the lobby greeting guests as well as bussing tables in the restaurant at breakfast when needed. I observed him on a number of occasions "high-fiving" his associates. Obviously a great leader.

The property is super-conveniently located across the street from the Austin Convention Center and just 2 blocks from the 6th street entertainment area.

I highly recommend this property when you're in Austin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 4th Street for a quieter venue.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dave R,
Thank you so much for staying with us for your annual conference. Your event is one of our busiest weeks of the year and we all love the interaction and relationships we have built made over the years. Watch out! Feel free to join in on the high fives as our goal is to make each and every guest as successful as possible when staying with us! Thank you again!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed in the Courtyard Marriott side of this hotel which shares itself with a Marriott Residence Inn. It is a nice hotel with cozy lobby and a Starbucks connected with the hotel for added convenience. This is doubly beneficial when you make the mistake of ordering room service as I did. The food comes from the restaurant located downstairs called Champions. I ordered the fish tacos and onion rings. Neither were good. Very greasy and just generally poor quality. The next evening I ventured out for dinner. The hotel is conveniently located near many different restaurants to choose from so you certainly won't feel obligated to order the crappy room service. Other than that, the hotel was clean and comfy. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Chef, at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Andrea G,
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. While I am please that you enjoyed Austin and the hotel I am writing to extend my apology for your Champions 'ToGo' order. I am working with my team today to make sure they are focused at providing the same quality food thru our ToGo delivery as we do in the restaurant. I do look forward to showing you some improvements on your next visit to Austin.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for a weekend getaway for 4 people. With the separate bedroom/living room arrangement, 2 couples had private beds, although the fold out couch in the living room was really small and looked uncomfortable. But I was in the bedroom! Each room is kind of small, so 4 people were tripping over each other. if you don't mind that -- it'll work out fine. The fact there was a full size kitchen made pre-gaming for 6th street easy, although the ice machine was miles away from our room. Thankfully Juana, our housekeeper, offered to fetch it for us. She was a really, really good attendant. The breakfast was over in the Courtyard side. I fail to see why this is 2 separate hotels... but it is. The breakfast was buffet style and very good. Lots of everything. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. Inches from the fun on 6th street and, walking distance to the river, restaurants on Congress Av, and the capital building. Parking was a bit steep, but worth it. I'm not sure why, but I got a better rate at the Residence Inn side than the Courtyard side, hence the choice to stay there... and by my counts, all of the Residence Inns I've ever stayed in have always been nicer than Courtyards. Plus, the Courtyard wouldn't let me use my Marriott points, but RI did. Strange. At anyrate, it was a wonderful hotel and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a high floor. 6th street is to one side of it and if you're low, it could be loud.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Smallwerld,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor Review. Your kinds words about your hard working housekeeper will be shared and celebrate. That is such a challenging job and your comments will be greatly appreciated (especially since it is national housekeeper appreciation week) Thank you again and I hope you have many memorable nights at Residence Inns around the country!