“The Hotel is lovely...The Desk Clerk...The. Worst!”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #45 of 200 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indiana
“The Hotel is lovely...The Desk Clerk...The. Worst!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Wonderful location. But the girl who checked me in took a strange dislike to me and was so very rude. Was traveling with my son...He even commented on how awful she was. Checked in Monday, September 30 at 2:00. Wished I could have changed hotel. She was that mean!

Room Tip: Just hope you don't get The Mean Girl!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hates_golf
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
hates_golf ,
Thank you for letting me know about the experience you had with one of our associates. Our guests are the reason we come to work every day and when I read about a poor situation it is very disappointing. I have the honor of working side by side our amazing associates every day and I will help the associate you encountered sharpen her skills. Again, thank you for informing me of your experience and for giving me a chance to work to improve our team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Marriott Residence Inns are always my first choice when traveling and this property is one if the finest!

The staff is extremely friendly and the guests are greeted morning and nite with a friendly smile and a "welcome" when coming and going.

The General Manager, David Malmberg, is ever present and can be seen in the lobby greeting guests as well as bussing tables in the restaurant at breakfast when needed. I observed him on a number of occasions "high-fiving" his associates. Obviously a great leader.

The property is super-conveniently located across the street from the Austin Convention Center and just 2 blocks from the 6th street entertainment area.

I highly recommend this property when you're in Austin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 4th Street for a quieter venue.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dave R,
Thank you so much for staying with us for your annual conference. Your event is one of our busiest weeks of the year and we all love the interaction and relationships we have built made over the years. Watch out! Feel free to join in on the high fives as our goal is to make each and every guest as successful as possible when staying with us! Thank you again!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed in the Courtyard Marriott side of this hotel which shares itself with a Marriott Residence Inn. It is a nice hotel with cozy lobby and a Starbucks connected with the hotel for added convenience. This is doubly beneficial when you make the mistake of ordering room service as I did. The food comes from the restaurant located downstairs called Champions. I ordered the fish tacos and onion rings. Neither were good. Very greasy and just generally poor quality. The next evening I ventured out for dinner. The hotel is conveniently located near many different restaurants to choose from so you certainly won't feel obligated to order the crappy room service. Other than that, the hotel was clean and comfy. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Chef, at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Andrea G,
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. While I am please that you enjoyed Austin and the hotel I am writing to extend my apology for your Champions 'ToGo' order. I am working with my team today to make sure they are focused at providing the same quality food thru our ToGo delivery as we do in the restaurant. I do look forward to showing you some improvements on your next visit to Austin.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for a weekend getaway for 4 people. With the separate bedroom/living room arrangement, 2 couples had private beds, although the fold out couch in the living room was really small and looked uncomfortable. But I was in the bedroom! Each room is kind of small, so 4 people were tripping over each other. if you don't mind that -- it'll work out fine. The fact there was a full size kitchen made pre-gaming for 6th street easy, although the ice machine was miles away from our room. Thankfully Juana, our housekeeper, offered to fetch it for us. She was a really, really good attendant. The breakfast was over in the Courtyard side. I fail to see why this is 2 separate hotels... but it is. The breakfast was buffet style and very good. Lots of everything. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. Inches from the fun on 6th street and, walking distance to the river, restaurants on Congress Av, and the capital building. Parking was a bit steep, but worth it. I'm not sure why, but I got a better rate at the Residence Inn side than the Courtyard side, hence the choice to stay there... and by my counts, all of the Residence Inns I've ever stayed in have always been nicer than Courtyards. Plus, the Courtyard wouldn't let me use my Marriott points, but RI did. Strange. At anyrate, it was a wonderful hotel and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a high floor. 6th street is to one side of it and if you're low, it could be loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Smallwerld,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor Review. Your kinds words about your hard working housekeeper will be shared and celebrate. That is such a challenging job and your comments will be greatly appreciated (especially since it is national housekeeper appreciation week) Thank you again and I hope you have many memorable nights at Residence Inns around the country!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night at the downtown residence inn during our road trip round Texas. We arrived late afternoon & check in was smooth & easy. We'd booked a 1 bedboom suite as I couldn't find any prices for 2 bedroom. When we arrived in the room it was a 2 bedroom so I called down to reception. They'd actually upgraded us which was great. This suite was smaller than the one we'd just stayed in San Antonio however the amenities were the exact same, queen bed, TV, ensuite, large wardrobe. Our suite had 2 air con systems & the only downside was my side didn't seem to cool as much as it said on the thermostat.

The residence inn & courtyard are in same building so the receptions are separated but you got to use amenities of both hotels. There is a Starbucks in the courtyard & the sports bar had the free buffet breakfast. In the sports bar you can also order breakfast from menu for a price but the buffet has enough choice you don't need to pay.

The best thing about hotel is location, 6th street is 2 blocks away, the Capitol a 10min walk & flagship wholegoods about 15mins.

All in all another great, clean hotel by marriott.

• Stayed September 2013
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Scot_in_Aussieland,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for the Austin leg of your trip. Each and every associate appreciates your business and applaud your very informative review for future visitors. As always we will be ready to be of service when you return.
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were in Austin to check out some of the great local BBQ restaurants and to visit the city for the first time. I've always enjoyed my stays at other Marriott Residence Inns and Austin was no exception. As everyone has mentioned the hotel is very nicely located, there are bus stops around the area and a metro train stop right across the street.

If you're traveling with a pet, like we were, there is a nice dog park one very short block over from the hotel. Very nice and unexpected.

As many restaurants as are in the area, it's still nice to be able to just pop downstairs for a quick coffee or a drink. There is a Starbucks accessible from inside the hotel and Champions Restaurant & Sports Bar for a drink and a bite to eat. (Breakfast is served there as well)

For the most part valet was timely with our car considering the small area they have to work with and the amount of people that were there for the Labor Day weekend. A bit of jockeying around with all of the cars but we never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes. Great to not have to worry about finding parking.

Overall we had a very nice stay at this Residence Inn and would stay there again the next time we’re in Austin. Definitely recommend it if you’re traveling with a pet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Tearitup,
Thank you so much for choosing our pet friendly hotel. As you mentioned the dog park is just across the street from the hotel and the 'leash free' dog park is only a few blocks away along Lady Bird Lake. Also, thank you for recognizing our thoughtful associates as they make our hotel special. We all look forward to hosting the next time you are in Austin.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel has a new, clean feel. Staff are very friendly and well trained. Location is great, walking distance to restaurants and bars. Free wifi is available, breakfast was included and about what you would expect. The only catch is the parking is a little pricey.

• Stayed September 2013
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
rnally,
Thank for posting a great summary of our hotel on Tripadvisor. Every associate here at out hotel appreciates your business and looks forward to entertaining in the future!