“Excellent in all respects.”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent in all respects.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights leaving on 25th July. The saff were unfailingly polite and helpful at all levels. Breakfast (free) was awesome and you would be hard pressed to beat it in any other hotel, and I have stayed in many all over the world. This hotel is a gem that is very well located for all that you want to see and do in Austin, especially the fun of 6th Street.I was trying to think what the Marriott Residence Inn had to set it above most of the others and then it suddenly dawned on me. The general manager was conspicuos by his presence on the floor from early morning into the evening. Meeting ,greeting and making guests fell welcome and valued. In my experience this is rare and I know that such leadership brings out the best in all of the other staff who were always polite and helpful. All things considered the Marriott Residence Inn is a really good place to stay in Downtown Austin. A lot of the credit for this falls, at least on my observations, to the leadership of Mr David Malmberg. Keep it up David, based on my personal experience of your hotel you are running a very impressive operation

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
RJK010,
It was my pleasure to get to meet you during your visit to Austin. The genuine care that our associates display allows me the time to get to know every guest I possibly can, and they don't really let me do much else in fear that I may goof something up! Again, it was my pleasure to host you at our hotel and we all look forward to having you and the Mrs. visit us in the future.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
North Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We came to Austin with no where to lay our heads. We entered the lobby and it was clean and updated. The staff at the front desk was friendly and quick. The young lady did forget to give us directions to our room, which ends up being a blessing later. We parked in their underground parking garage (There is valet available.) First, I will say the rooms are clean and spacious. The rooms at the Residence Inn are equipped with a lot of features you would find at home (Couch, refrigerator, toaster and coffee pot.) It was quiet on the second floor of the building and the pool was down the hall from our room. The gym is nice and the pool area was clean. There are too many restaurants within walking distance to list. It's downtown Austin..so there is plenty. I want to finish with an encounter we had with one of the staff at the hotel. When you enter into the building from the parking garage its two separate hotels, Courtyard Marriott and Residence Inn. We ended up selecting the wrong building(Courtyard Marriott), but ran into some helpful staff. The gentleman (David) accompanying the young lady who was initially helping us, persisted that he assist us with our luggage, hanging clothes and getting our doors. We explained to David that we were lost and he chose to take us to our room. He could have explained the directions to the room but he went the extra mile and not only helped with our luggage but made sure we made it to the correct building (Residence Inn.) We told him about our weekend getaway which involved an escape from the children to celebrate our anniversary. After locating our room, I introduced myself and inquired about David who told me he was the General Manager of the hotel. We left out later to go out to eat and returned to find a iced bottle of champagne and a card left in our room. Good job Marriott staff!

Everything rises and falls on leadership- John Maxwell

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
John,
I am very proud our team could be part of a special weekend in Austin. Thank you for staying with us and Happy Anniversary!
David
Killeen, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Residence Inn located in Austin Downtown/Convention Center (4th Street) is co-located with Courtyard by Marriot. The location is excellent since the hotel is near good restaurants and the famous 6th Street nightlife. The staff is very friendly and prompt in assisting incoming guests. There are only two elevators that I observed, and the wait for these elevators could sometimes exceed 10 minutes. Checking in was quick and painless, but my friend and I actually waited for the elevator for about 12 minutes just to get to the 3rd Floor. We almost took the stairs if it wasn't for our luggage/bags.

The housekeepers also knock on our doors very early in the morning. They knocked on our room door at 0845 in the morning, which was too early for us two young men who have been partying at 6th Street the night prior. Breakfast, however, was very good with a good variety of cereal, fruits, and pastries. We would have missed breakfast if the housekeepers did not wake us up at 0845, so I guess the early wake up call did us something good in a way.

The room was clean, complete with everything travelers may need for a long-term stay. Be wary of drunken party-goers who may wake you up at 0200 or 0300 in the morning as they hobble their way in back from the entertainment of 6th Street, Austin. The hotel has a "zero tolerance" for noise (as posted in their lobby), but drunk people don't really know how loud they could become as they stumble through the hotel's hallways. Plus, it would take more work to dial "0", speak to the operator, and ask someone to go up to enforce them to be quiet. Then, by the time someone gets there, the drunks would probably be passed out anyway. So... just be aware. Because of the noise and a very early wake up call from the housekeepers, I rated the sleep quality as "poor." There maybe some better nights at this hotel, but until I experience that, I stand by my current ratings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tony M
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Tony M,

Thank you for taking time to post an excellent review. We do our best to head off any loud revelers but often then do get past our security team. A good night sleep is of the upmost importance to us and we will double our efforts to deliver that rest. Thank you for letting us know about your stay I look forward to showing you a few changes on your next visit.
Japan
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed here many times with my boyfriend. We love the comfy rooms and nicely decorated rooms. Best is the hotel location, right off of 6th street. The breakfast buffet in the morning is fabulous!
This is the only hotel we stay in when we go to Austin!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura,
Thank you for making our hotel your go to when in Austin. On your next trip please do not hesitate to let us know how we can make your visit even more enjoyable. We are AT YOUR SERVICE!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I found my 2 day hotel visit to be one of the better hotel experiences I've had. I travel every other week so I get plenty of hotel time. I was at a conference at a nearby hotel but was really pleased with the extremely friendly service of the front desk folks along with the restaurant staff. They offer free breakfast and social hour on certain nights..it was a little odd that it was in the Champion's restaurant but regardless the food was really good. Very close to all of the action on 6th as well as only a few blocks from the jogging trail on the river(which I used once). The room itself was very nice and seemed to be pretty new. I would definitely stay at this hotel again the next time I go to Austin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mark,
It means a lot to get a review from such a seasoned business traveler. I know how hard it is to be on the road as often as every other week and we work hard to make our hotel a home away from home. Thank you for your business and for your review. We look forward to entertaining in the future.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was staying here for a conference in January and my room was provided to me by the society hosting the meeting. It was a really great location, only a few steps from the convention center and only a few blocks from the entertainment of 6th Street! The breakfast was good, and the food at Happy Hour was also good! The alcohol selection at Happy Hour, though, wasn't the best, so I ended up opting for water sometimes.

The staff is very attentive to your needs and goes out of your way making sure you have a good stay. If you have the chance to stay here during your next meeting at the Austin Convention Center, try staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jcrespo21,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Since your visit in January we have begun to alternate our beer and wine selection for the Residence Inn Social hour on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On behalf of all of our associates we appreciate your business.
New York
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at the convention center, which is a very close walk. While staff was kind and gracious, I found myself having to call more than I'd like. For one, the lid of the coffee pot carafe was broken, so the unit needed to be exchanged. Old coffee grounds were under the machine when I moved it to install the new model. There were also no trash bags in the room , and a previous guest had left a half-eaten container of cream cheese in the fridge that housekeeping hadn't bothered to remove. What's more, I requested additional face cloths and it took nearly an hour for their delivery. A housekeeping cart stood in front of the hotel lobby elevators when I came in one evening well after 5PM, and the sound of a vaccuum could be heard in the hall well past what should be standard cleaning hours. The room was also always somewhat muggy no matter how low I set the temperature. I probably wouldn't stay here again; the only plus is easy access to the convention center.

Room Tip: Nearby is one of the best P.F. Changs I've ever visited.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pumpkin73,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with me. Our goal is the be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and we obviously did not execute the second in your room. Such misses are unacceptable and I will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping team and work to eliminate such errors. Thank you for staying with us. I look forward to an opportunity to entertain in the future.