“Great place w/ some MINOR issues”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #61 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We wanted to check out the famed party/art scene in Austin and based on other reviews, this sounded like a comfortable place right in the middle of the action. It is both - very comfortable and extremely close to all the 6th St fun!

Things started off perfectly when we found a prime parking spot (metered) right out front, and the girl at the front desk advised that if we paid the meter thru 5:30pm it would be free for the rest of the weekend. So, we didn't have to pay for the valet or the garage! Score! We actually didn't even pay for the room, we used our Priority Club rewards points, so MEGA-SCORE!

The room was a very good size, big kitchen with full-size fridge and attractive cupboards (also a dishwasher). There was a nice desk with free internet, a couch and chair, TV, comfy bed, big closet, etc. The sink area is separate from the bathroom, which is nice so one person can get ready while the other takes a shower. The water took a LONG time to get hot, I don't know if it was because we were on the 7th floor but it literally took at least 15 minutes for the shower to get hot! It did get hot, though, so no harm no foul.

As another reviewer mentioned, you can hear the music from 6th St if you're in a north-facing room, but we didn't find it especially loud or annoying. It was actually kind of a nice bit of melodic white noise, we liked it! We liked being able to walk to and from all the fun stuff that was going on up there. There was also a sports bar called Champions right inside the hotel (on the Courtyard side) that had stellar cheese fries and lots of great beer options. Plus they let us watch our home team play in the Stanley Cup finals, even after a very popular UFC bout had started and they were charging all the other customers a $10 cover!

The breakfast is pretty amazing: anything you could ever want! From cold cereal & fruit up to sausage, bacon, eggs, and freshly made belgian waffles shaped like Texas! Also they have a little "store" right across from the front desk where you can get anything from a Q-tip to a frozen pizza. I wanted a Coke Zero and the cashier couldn't make change, so she just let me have it for free!

On our last night there, some hooligan pulled the fire alarm at 3am and a loudspeaker urged everyone to evacuate the building! After a few minutes (the time it took us to get dressed and go to the bathroom) the alarm turned off so we figured it was not a real emergency. In the hallway we met some other tired/irritable guests, and overheard someone say that some frightened guests had run outside naked! After a few more minutes, they sounded the official "all clear" and we went back to bed. Management slipped a written apology under everyone's door and the girl at the front desk apologized sincerely when we checked out. Hey, it wasn't their fault - people are idiots sometimes.

Also on our last day, the elevators started going REALLY slow. The front desk knew it was a problem and advised some alternatives, saying that someone was on the way to work on it. Sort of inconvenient for checkout from the 7th floor, but overall wasn't that big a deal for us; we only had a few duffels so the stairs were a faster option.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jeanniepep

Reviewed March 11, 2008

I wanted to write this while I was currently a guest, but the Internet at the hotel wasn’t working. ALL WEEKEND. DURING SXSW. Seriously, an interactive conference comes to town and they don’t have your ducks all in a row?

Anyhow, while I enjoyed the comfy bedding and thought the breakfasts and fitness center rocked, there are other problems with this hotel that need to be addressed. Namely SECURITY.

First, my room key got switched with someone else’s in the fitness center. When I went downstairs to see if I could get my key remade, the person at the desk said, “This isn’t for room 123 it’s for 321.” So, she effectively told me that I had a key to someone else’s room. Great. Maybe she has better snacks in her fridge. So I took the key back to the fitness center and straightened out the mess. Of course, then my key didn’t work, so I went back down to the front desk to have it remade. I told the woman I had no ID, but would be happy to have someone from security or the front desk follow me to my room to check my ID. She waved that off, saying it wasn’t necessary. I figured I didn’t want to be any later for breakfast than I already was, so I moved on.

Truthfully, stuff like that happens to me all the time. I get really paranoid about that, as I usually travel alone. But oh, it gets better.

My dad came from Houston to visit me on Saturday. I gave him my room number and the name the room was under so he could valet the car. Around noon, I hadn’t heard from him so I sent him a text asking where he was. He said he was in my room. Yep, IN MY ROOM. The person at the front desk gave him a key to my room. Now, I certainly didn’t ask my dad to do that, and didn’t give him permission to do that, and I didn’t get mad at him for doing that, but that isn’t the point. You should not give keys to people who are not registered to the room! Period. End of sentence. Yes, he was my dad, but how did you know that? He could have faked the email from me. I found the manager over at the adjoining Courtyard and requested that he change my room to allow only me, and me with ID to get keys. He agreed that what happened should never have.

I certainly have other complaints:

No one reset the time on the automated wake up calls, so the call came 1 hour late.

Breakfast got taken away at random times (9:37) so you never knew if you were going to miss it

There was no microwave popcorn in the room. A Res Inn trademark. And the front desk had none.

All in all, I can forgive most things, but a security glitch is unforgivable. I’m not happy, and suggest that anyone staying here, or frankly in any hotel, take steps to assure that the front desk staff doesn’t allow people to socially engineer their way into your room.

I’m leaving Austin today, and I just couldn’t be happier. I certainly won’t find myself at this hotel again if I can help it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank elleinthecity1
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed there for a couple of months as an alternative to a hotel. Management negotiated a much, much cheaper rate than that posted online on the hotel website and arranged for me to be refunded the state tax each 30 day cycle.
The kitchen includes a microwave, dishwasher and stovetop but no actual oven and they provided clean dishes and cutlery which were in fairly good condtion.
The location was very close to 6th street so you could hear music but it wasn't overpowering. Lots of great restaurants in the area to choose from if you aren't in the mood to stay in or cook. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from an amazing Whole Foods and is less than 5 minutes from the I-35.
They don't clean the floors all that well but the beds are extremely comfortable but the TV in my room was a flatscreen, decently sized with good reception. The wireless internet was a little iffy sometimes but the staff were pretty friendly and the morning breakfast choices were fairly decent.
The only reason I switched over the to the Courtyard (on the other side of the building) was because I wanted to earn more hotel points. (What can I say? I was financing my vacation fund)

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank FlyGirl25
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel during the weekend of the marathon. Rooms were hard to come by that weekend. We loved the room and found it very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. We were on the 6th floor near the elevator and had no problems with noise.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iamamy1968
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I am from Austin and go back to visit as much as possible. When this Marriott first started out at this location they offered some very affordable rates (affordable for my budget) and my husband and I had the opportunity to stay here on four seperate weekend trips. Now, however, the rooms are way to pricey for us but all four of our previous stays were wonderful! Be warned though that the street noise is loud, you are downtown. The room was always clean, spacious and always ready for an early check in. Take a look at the view from the roof - very nice. It's great to be in Austin and this place is close to everything! We walked to town lake and jogged the trails there, swam at Barton Springs pool and walked to the Elephant Room at night which is only a few blocks away on Congress Ave. The breakfast was always hot and fresh and the staff kept the breakfast area re-stocked and very clean. Checking in and out was never a problem here. I truly wish this hotel would still offer rooms at an affordable rate but I am just happy we got to stay when we did.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank chopepper
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Stayed here for a weekend in late October. The location was perfect. We were able to walk to dinner and then walk to 6th street after. The room itself was very nice, comfortable bed and lots of room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is a little odd that it is attached to the Courtyard. We didn't have any problems with noise, but we were on the 8th floor, that may be why. Overall it was a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed here last month during the Austin City Limits Festival- what a lovely hotel, and so convenient as it was a five minute walk to the shuttles. The rooms are awesome- spacious and comfortable. The little kitchen was really nice to have too. The free WiFi was a big bonus to have in the room. The staff is friendly. The continental breakfast was one of the best hotel continental breakfasts I've ever had. I'd definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends