“Just Average, If Even”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at the convention center, which is a very close walk. While staff was kind and gracious, I found myself having to call more than I'd like. For one, the lid of the coffee pot carafe was broken, so the unit needed to be exchanged. Old coffee grounds were under the machine when I moved it to install the new model. There were also no trash bags in the room , and a previous guest had left a half-eaten container of cream cheese in the fridge that housekeeping hadn't bothered to remove. What's more, I requested additional face cloths and it took nearly an hour for their delivery. A housekeeping cart stood in front of the hotel lobby elevators when I came in one evening well after 5PM, and the sound of a vaccuum could be heard in the hall well past what should be standard cleaning hours. The room was also always somewhat muggy no matter how low I set the temperature. I probably wouldn't stay here again; the only plus is easy access to the convention center.

Room Tip: Nearby is one of the best P.F. Changs I've ever visited.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Pumpkin73,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with me. Our goal is the be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and we obviously did not execute the second in your room. Such misses are unacceptable and I will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping team and work to eliminate such errors. Thank you for staying with us. I look forward to an opportunity to entertain in the future.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a good and free breakfast, a good location in downtown. Our room was very clean and spacious. The only disappointing thing in the 203 room was the bed that needs to be changed ; it seems that its springs are broken, so we were not comfortable all the night long. That's a shame for an hotel like this one, don't you think ? Too bad !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Isabelle F,
Thank you for staying with us and for letting me know about the spring in the bed. I will have my team address this first thing. Again thank you so much for your review and business.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were in Austin just for a stopover-driving home from the coast with our dog and toddler. We wanted a place near the Austin Children's Museum, wanted to be able to walk to dinner, wanted free breakfast and wanted a place where our dog was welcomed. These were the criteria and we were glad to have chosen the Residence Inn. Because of other reviews, we knew to ask for a room on a high level. The noise was a factor, especially so this weekend because of a motorcycle event. They offered earplugs at the front desk. But because we were on a high floor, it didn't keep us up all night. My 2 year old slept through all the traffic noise.

The pet fee was $100 and they do charge it. (Other places we've stayed say they have a fee, but don't implement it.) That is expensive, but not that much more expensive than the pet fee at other area hotels. The pet fee at another hotel we considered was $75, but didn't offer free breakfast, and wasn't walking distance to the places we wanted to go, so we figured it was about even.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. It was free for Residence Inn guests. For people not staying in the hotel, it's $13 per person-it's in the Champions restaurant. Tons of selection, lots of fruit, eggs, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, etc etc.

I would stay there again. The rooms are clean, comfy, and big.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor-the street (traffic, people partying on 6th street) can get loud. We m...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Patricia T,
I am glad you and your family had a great time in Austin and we were able to be a part of it. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for many visits to come!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am in town for 3 weeks staying at the Residence Inn Austin Downtown. I can't say enough about this hotel and the staff. Susanna has gone over and above "exceptional service". She has pointed me in the right direction for recreation, made sure I stayed hydrated, lets me know about all hotel services and amenities such as baggage storage and complimentary Tide and Bounce for laundry. She even took the time to FaceTime with my daughter at home. Being away for 3 weeks was scary, but staying here has made me feel very at home. Thank you Residence Inn and Susanna! - Becky

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. South faces the lake and north faces the city.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

rlopanec,
Thank you for taking time to post your review and for sharing your kind words about our amazing associates. I have shared you comments with all of them and especially Susanna! Thank you letting us make you feel like family!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past Friday night, celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. Upon learning about our anniversary, the gentleman helping us congratulated us and offered to upgrade our room! We thought that was very nice, and when we came to our room later - we found a handwritten card congratulating us, 2 bottles of wine and some chocolate. The wine was in a plastic bottle so nothing too expensive, but I was pleasantly surprised that they went out of their way on a busy Friday night to recognize our special night. The room was clean, and spacious and very quiet. This is the most reasonable downtown Austin hotel that is close to downtown without a lot of walking. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

moparfamily,
It was our pleasure and may you enjoy 15 more special years!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

A well equipped room in a great location for us going to a concert a short walk away. We stayed on a weekend, and due to its proximity to the entertainment district they have large signs up in the lobby about tolerance to noise after 11pm. We did have noisy neighbours - clearly the room next to us was the gathering place for a few rooms near us. On mentioning this to the staff, they explained that they have a strict policy about this, and if there is a complaint about noise after 11pm, the room are advised. If this continues there is a no tolerance policy and people will be asked to leave. On the second night we did have more noise in our room after midnight so rang reception and could hear a visit to the room very quickly after this. So were impressed with how quickly they responded, and attended to the issue. This was let down a bit by the reception staff in the morning who when we mentioned the night before they said that being in the entertainment district - this is what you can expect. Other staff had been very good, but unfortunately this attitude did let it down somewhat. Apart from this, the room was great, and the breakfast buffet was very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emma-Tsultrim W
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Emma-Tsultrim W,
Thank you for spending your weekend with us in Austin. While we are right in the entertainment center of Austin we do take late night disturbance by others very serious. I am sorry for the poor response your recieved in the morning. I will be sure to work with every memeber of my team to better handle similar situations going forward. Thank you again and we hope to be your hotel of choice the next time you are in Austin.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a great time at our last visit at this hotel. We also took 2 little dogs with us and we put them in the soft crate when we were out on the 6th street. Room looked new and clean with a great city view. The location was the best if you plan to go to 6th St. The staffs were really professional and friendly. The only we didn't like about this location was that it was kinda expensive to park there but not too bad considered being in downtown. There is also a grass area around the corner if you travel with your dogs and they need a place to relive.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

All About Happiness,
What an appropriate Tripadvisor Name! We love it! Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback with future guests. We are dog friendly at the Residence Inn and the park that is right next to the hotel is a great spot for our 4 leg guests. Also, the walking trail and off leash area on the water are favorites. Parking at all the downtown hotels will be around the $25-$30 range depending if you prefer to park on your own or utlize valet services. We are happy to offer both options for standard size cars and trucks. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to entertaining in the future.