“Another Standard Stay_DvB”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Another Standard Stay_DvB”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Previously, I have stayed at the conjoined property and the location is clearly unchanged. My review addressed the convenient location a mere two blocks off of the active 6th Street. The downside seems to be that the mere 100 foot closer proximity to the music venues results in more noise presence than the conjoined property. Much like Beale or Bourbon Streets, the more convenient and walkable the distance, the more music noise that will be present. Still, it did not seem that my stay at the conjoined property was as noisy. This was not enough to disturb my sleep, but enough to delay it as I wondered “what song is that?”

Additionally, the room was clean but I still discovered a clump of hair embedded in the sheets. This does not impair the cleanliness, but it does show a lack of attention to detail. A competent maid would have seen this I am sure, and removed it… anyone with a wife or girlfriend knows what I mean when you “know” that articles have been cleaned, but still have residual hair.

These negative comments aside, and to be fair only the first is a likely recurrent/non-instance restricted occurrence, this is certainly a property I would stay in again. Particularly if you have a family or are in a group, the full sized refrigerator, normal coffee maker, and layout of the room and bathroom are all aspects of this group-friendly hotel. The lounge furniture could easily and comfortably accommodate two sleepers or probably six people watching preliminaries on the large screen prior to walking over to the UT stadium for a game.

The front desk staff, or at least the two lovely young ladies I encountered, was quick, capable, and wholly helpful. Overall, I would recommend the property to others and will very probably stay again. You're always going to find something amiss in a hotel stay if you pay attention, but the positive outweighs the negative here.

Room Tip: A higher floor offers a better view, but the view facing 6th Street is better while being joined wit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Kaiser D,
It is always nice to see return guests posting reivews. First, we will be sure to talk about the details a great length this week with the entire team. We believe in the details, like you experience from the ladies at the front desk, make the experience. I do look forward to entertaining in the future and thank you for recommending us for friends and family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Atlanta
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This place was amazing! It is like a mini apartment with stainless appliances. The furnishings were high-end and I felt like I was in a top rated hotel. I also had free breakfast each morning! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2012
Michele R,

We are so pleased you loved your stay with us. We strive to make raving fans at every check-in. We will be ready to recived you next time you are in town!
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel is worth a return visit. Awesome experience. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. Champion bar staff was very helpful. The room was clean and fresh smelling. Business Center is centrally located. Exercise facilities worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2012
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Eastvale92,

On behalf of all the associates here at the hotel, thank you. For your business, for your comments and for enjoying your time in Austin. We look forward to being your prefered hotel in Austin for years to come!
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I can't help but rave about the great things about this hotel. The location is prime -- right in the center of downtown and near the all the action. The amenities are great -- recently refurbished rooms are clean and comfortable with good space...and the added bonus of a full kitchen is fantastic! The staff is friendly, helpful and accommodating. The attached sports bar and its huge breakfast buffet (included in room price) is something you won't find in the bigger hotels, giving this downtown property a LOT of bang for your buck!

But it would be impossible to look past a few incidents. Upon arrival (our convention group had three rooms), we discovered that our bathroom sink obviously had a drainage problem. There was thick, black residue covering 75% of the bowl of the sink and it had a definite line...it had obviously backed up, filled the bowl with dirty water and slowly drained. It must have happened AFTER housekeeping had taken care of the room, as the rest of the room was very clean, and there was simply no way to miss this mess. We immediately called down to the front desk and they sent the concierge up with keys to a new room, two doors down from the first. Great customer service, but an awful sight to begin with!

The following day, a member of our group had problems with the door to her room. She could exit her room and allow the door to close behind her, but noticed that if the door was pulled tightly shut, she could re-open it without her key. If she allowed the door to close only lightly (with a tap, versus a bang), it would lock, but it LOOKED to be still open and anyone could have come by, given it a tug and been able to access her room. Upon arrival of the maintenance crew, the problem could not be recreated.

Finally, as we were all in one of the rooms one night, we heard a key in the door and it opened up. A man entered the room, bags-in-hand, obviously as shocked as we were. He had been given our room! Thank goodness he seemed to be a nice man and that there was a group of seven women in there. What if one of us had been alone or changing or in the shower? What if he hadn't been a "good guy?" I shudder to think.

The man retreated to the front desk and I got on the phone, expressing my anger. The front desk was very apologetic and told me, "I don't see your reservation anywhere here in the system." He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and said, "Oh...I found you. The desk agent who helped that man just wrote down the room number wrong on the man's card envelope." That didn't make much sense to me, since his key had worked. He offered to take the valet parking fees off our room, give us late check-out the next day and provide Starbucks beverages for everyone in our party. We obliged, but all slept with one eye open that night (and with our interior locks set -- lesson learned!).

In all, this hotel provided great service, but the great service was necessary because of a few pretty big mistakes on their part. These are some serious security issues that travelers should be aware of and consider before booking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
EPruetz,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I truely appologies for the clog sink and problems with the door. I am happy our team was able to fix these issues quickly for you as soon as you told us. I hope that we have a chance to entertain again and show you a perfect stay on your next visit.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We usually stay at the Four Seasons when in Austin. But, they were sold out so we looked for a Marriott to earn some points. The newly rennovated Residence Inn was a great find- conveniently located only 2 blocks away-with an adjoining Courtyard Marriott . Take that Four Seasons- they don't charge for wi fi at Marriott. Our room had a lovely large window, sectional couch, big flatscreen, full kitchen, large desk and kitchen table and chairs all open to the bed area. There were double sinks in the dressing area and a separate compartment toilet/tub. While I wish the bed were a KING instead of a queen, the room was very comfortable and quiet.

M-Th there is a staffed complimentary manager's happy hour (free beer, wine and taco buffet which very easily could serve as dinner) AND every day includes a large breakfast buffet including fruit, yogurt, cereals, muffins, toast, eggs, bacon,sausage, tacos, french toast, waffles, juice and coffee. If you NEED espresso there is a Starbucks next door. I chose to sit in a comfortably upholstered circular booth outside the restaurant and watch the Olympics on my own private flat screen each morning. The manager and servers came by to freshen my coffee and offer daily papers. The staff Could not have been nicer or more helpful.
There is a nicely equipped gym open 24 hours (and a tiny indoor pool with a small outdoor balcony if that's important.) The lobby of the hotel has several conversation areas and tables with outlets for meetings or computer surfing. A very nice and quiet space for meeting or working.

The Valet Parking was quick and efficient. The additional parking fee includes multiple in and out (Hampton Inn down the street charges for each entry). On street parking is free after 6pm if you are leaving early in the am and metered during weekdays.
Easy and safe walking distance to all areas of downtown.
Very comfortable stay and pleasant staff, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Amy,

Thank you for taking time to submit your review of our hotel. All the associates are extremely proud of thier hotel and strive to each and every guest feel like they are staying with family and loved ones. We look forward to providing the same genuine care on your next visit to Austin.
New York
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived in Austin as the last city on my Texas tour and wow, the city of Austin is a big time party city. Heard so much hype about it all week and was surprised that it actually delivered.

LOCATION

The location of this hotel is right in the middle of downtown Austin, which is perfect if your plan is to party on 6th street. We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the 6th street night life and it did not disappoint. We were two very short non-NYC blocks away from 6th street and had a great time. Had to take the valet garage parking at $27, which was very high, but make sure you get the right one. There are two services, one where your car cannot be retrieved until the next morning and one where you can have them get it multiple times. Of course the overnight parking is about $5 cheaper. Valet is not very organized. They never answer the phone, then when someone does, they say they will get the car but when you go down there 25 minutes later the car is not there and nobody knows what you were talking about. We had a plane to catch so we had to wait another 15 minutes and race to the airport. It is better to have your car sit and rot instead of having to wait for it. Make sure you call for your car 30 minutes before you want to leave.

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $260 (without tax and with my AAA discount), but we got the biggest suite they have. We got a three (3) room suite where the middle room consisted of a full kitchen, small dining table, a sleeper sofa, a couple of lounge chairs, and a TV. Off to the right was a separate room (with door) containing a queen size bed, dresser for clothes, desk, chair, nightstand, and bathroom. Off to the left of the middle room was another separate bedroom (with door), containing a queen bed, desk, chair, TV, and full bathroom. One bedroom was smaller than the other, but we technically had three separate rooms, which was outstanding.

The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were spotless also. The queen beds were very comfortable, but the sleeper sofa was your average sleeper sofa (not very comfortable). The A/C has two zones. One A/C zone controlled one bedroom and the living room, while the other A/C was strictly for the other bedroom. The A/C worked great and had no problems. The only knock on the place besides the valet, was the price. I thought $260 was a little too steep for a Marriott hotel even though we had a three (3) room suite and that was with my AAA discount. Maybe because it was Friday night in the summer in Austin, but I think around $220 would be a fairer price for that room. Each room had its own window that overlooked the city of Austin which was really nice.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

Breakfast was included in our room price and actually took place at Champions Restaurant which is attached to the hotel (you do not need to go outside to get there). They take your name and room number, look you up and then give you a seat. Usually I hear it is packed, but we woke up with about 20 minutes left in breakfast so we did get a table. Full buffet with everything imaginable. They do not cheap out on breakfast, plenty of hot food, cold food, drinks, etc. Anything you would think of eating for breakfast was there and they constantly replenish so even if you get there with 10 minutes left, there is food for you. One of the best free breakfasts I have ever had at any hotel in any city. The breakfast was that similar to the food at the Old Country Buffet.

I would not hesitate to use this hotel again if going back to Austin. Easiest location to get around, plenty of action, and plenty of good places to go...if you are looking to be close to the 6th street action. To give you an idea, 6th street is maybe a couple of miles long that is filled with all sorts of clubs and bars. The great part about it is that they close off the street so everyone is outside walking in the street similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Mulberry Street in NYC's Little Italy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
NRP
Thank you for choosing our hotel to wrap up your amazing tour of Texas. While our parking prices match all the hotels and parking structures in the area I am concerned with the time it took to retrieve you car before you went to the airport. I will personally address this with our valet maanger and stream line the process to reach our 8 minute goal.
Our breakfast team was all smiles when I shared your comments, as they take great pride in offering the largest selection of any Residence Inn in the country.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott now and in your future travels.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My daughter had to be admitted to hospital and I live out of town. The hotel staff was so accomodating to my special needs and went above and beyond to make my stay given the circumstances as pleasant as possible. The customer service to genuine kindness was a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Krod0610
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Krod
All the associates here at the hotel are wishing your daughter the best! Thank you for allowing us to be At Your Service!