“Nicely predictable”

Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #66 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed here two nights. When I arrived, late in the evening, there were a slew of cars in the drive and there was only fellow handing out tickets for valet parking, but it moved smoothly enough. Check-in was a whiz and the receptionists were helpful.

I had a nice room overlooking the Frost Bank building, with a kitchenette and sitting area. Everything worked and it was spotless. The clock radio was sort of cheezy though and had poor reception.

The buffet breakfast, included in the rate, was really one of the best I've ever had -- everything from oatmeal to eggs, to waffles and patries, cereals, toast....etc. And throughout the hotel the staff was helpful and friendly.

The Champions restaurant onsite has an uninspired menu but the food was fresh and good tasting (no 'healthful' choices really). Eddie V's, a fantastic seafood restaurant, is around the corner.

Skip the valet parking and do self-parking in the garage to save $6/night. The first night I did valet parking. I called for my car so I could self park it for the next night. When I pulled into the garage, the machine that deploys tickets said 'lot full'. I called the front desk from my cell, and right away, a fellow came down to let me in, and comp'd my parking for the night for the trouble. That was really nice.

I checked out the fitness center although I didn't have time to use it...far above the norm I think. A small but long pool for indoor laps.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center

Reviewed February 26, 2010

My Husband and I made reservations for a weekend get-away. When we arrived at the hotel the front desk staff told us that they did not have a king room (the one we reserved) available and that we had the choice of staying in a king handicap room or a queen double, then we could move rooms the next day. We took the queen double, the next morning when we went to our new room we discovered that it was a handicap room. So finally after carting our luggage back down to the front desk we were given keys to a new king room without even an apology.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amyle15
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We visited Austin for a wedding and stayed a few days extra to see what the buzz was all about in Austin. This hotel was in a perfect location and i was curious what the building would look like since it was a Courtyard and Residence Inn combined in one building. We saved a few bucks on the room rate compared to the Residence Inn because breakfast was not included, and so we had Starbucks instead, located in the lobby. The best part about this hotel was the location, just 2 blocks from the action on 6th Street, and an easy walk to the river and the hip south congress area. The staff was extremely helpful and seemed genuinely grateful for our business. Keep up the good work! The hotel charges a few dollars for parking but we easily found free street parking out front.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I choose this hotel, so we could be walking distance to 6th St.....the hopping bar and restaurant area.

We had spent 4 nights in San Antonio, so I think I was a little disappointed in 6th St, but the Marriot was just fine..............very nice staff, very comfy beds, great location for walking to the Capitol, over the Colorado River to a great little funky neighborhood on CONGRESS St, sorry I did not discover, until the last day!!!!

Everyone in Texas, is so sincerely friendly, so I felt...........polite, and talkative......We really enjoyed our visit!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

You can't beat the central location of this Marriott chain. Right next to 6th street in Downtown Austin. Also the hotel is connected to a Sports Bar called Champions, which was perfectly convenient for my Sunday afternoon arrival. I stayed here for three nights while on Business in Austin. The rooms were nothing outstanding by provided me with everything I needed. I will return to this hotel purely for the sake of the location and friendly staff. It is also connected to a Residence Inn so I may try that out next year.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2009

The room was nice, quiet, beds were wonderfully comfortable, great pillows, fine shower, but the reason to stay here is the location. It's an easy skip to 6th street, a simple ride in from the airport and a quick trip to the freeway that'll take you where ever else you might want to go. The attached restaurant/sports bar is great, fills with locals and travelers alike - get the wings, they're wonderful, and ask for Emily or Rachel to be your server, then tell them I said hi!!! Concierge is friendly and helpful, the only downside I saw for this place was the fact that they over pump the AC, but that might just be a Texan thing. - you do have to pay for parking, which I'm not used to, but Priceline got us an amazing rate so I think overall, that's ok.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel and was maybe in the room all of 5 hours. After leaving the hotel, we were charged $250 for smoking in the room. We don't smoke and would never let any smoke in the room.

After calling the manager and asking for proof he stated that he didn't need proof that we where out of luck. He said it took two days to air out! We had like 8 different people stop by the room and not a one says there was smoking in that room. The Manager named Dale got the room number mixed up and will not admit he was wrong. We did notice smoking smell coming from some other rooms, I wonder if they charged everyone on the whole floor for someone else's screw up.

I should have charged them for our toilet not flushing upon arrival especially after they I had to call them back to fix it 3 times. Hotel is nice but they might consider some new management.

There are some many hotels to choose from downtown. Don't choose this one unless you like unexpected charges!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family