“AWESOME Comfort Food and Atmosphere”
Review of Freddie's Place - CLOSED

Freddie's Place
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: South Austin
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Freddy's is just awesome- the food is reasonably priced and it's the kind of comfort food most of us crave. The inside is fun with booths and tables- but the outside is really great- like being is a giant back yard with humongous trees - and picnic tables. They often have live music- dogs are allowed and it's a great place for families.

Servers are fun as you would expect in the South Austin area of town- and they run fast to get your food to you, here.

The drinks are good- check out the daily specials both on food and the drinks (once I went the manager was doing all burgers for $5 just because it was a rainy day). They also have a great happy hour where they will add tequila floaters for $1 or so.

Definitely a fun South Austin place to go!

There are newer reviews for Freddie's Place

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Do not go to Freddie's on a Tuesday night. They have this kid's night event every Tuesday and it was very annoying to say the least. Not only was the "Mr. Johnny" husband and wife singing duo awful but they encourage the kids to scream and run around like banshees. Twice I had to ask kids to stop running around our table. I later realized it was this Mr. Johnny's young daughter that he sends out to rile up the kids. Part of the act I guess but extremely annoying for diners who were unaware it was kid's night.

To make matters worse, the food was really subpar. I ordered fish tacos and my wife ordered a burger. The burger bun was very dry and the fish taco was served on a very large store-bought tortilla. The tortilla was dry and stiff. I had to smother it in sauce to make it edible. The ironic thing is, Freddie's owner has a commercial where he walks around with a shotgun shooting competitor's plates of food claiming it is no good. He ought to taste some of his own. Tacos at Torchy's down the street are twice as good at half the price.

If you want the Freddie's type of atmosphere but with better food and less noise, go to The Grove

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Freddie's is one of those places you'll drive by a hundred times without stopping by... Well you are missing out on a great, easy going place with friendly servers and really good food. Sure you can get more expensive food, but if you want a good meal in a relaxed setting then Freddie's is your place. While I am not a huge fan of this, they are also dog friendly, I never had a problem it's just not my favorite thing about a great place with a huge outdoor space. In the year we lived in Austin I would have to say we were at Freddie's at least once a week and sometimes more. They have a diverse menu and can accomodate large groups. While it's not on their drink list yet, this is where I created the first "Tequila Bob", so it will always have found memories and be a must visit whenever we find ourselves back in Austin.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Freddie's has lots of outdoor seating, good drink prices, and great food. Their burgers are delicious and huge. You can customize the burgers with a wide variety of options. I usually get a veggie patty, wheat bun, barbecue sauce, pineapple, and monterey jack cheese. Don't forget to order some sweet potato fries!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

The patio was well shaded for a summer day. Food was excellent. Dogs were catered for. Service could be better, although it seemed it was just our waitress.