“Essence of Austin!”
Review of Esther's Follies

Esther's Follies
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Austin wants to "keep it weird" but with style. Esther's is the place to experience the humor and wit of its finest comics! A walk down Sixth Street after dark is an experience in itself, with bands booming stereo out of bars down both sides of the street, and natives and visitors parading. Streets are closed to traffic for big weekends like Hallowe'en and Mardi Gras when people pack streets shoulder to shoulder. There's never a dull moment inside at the show. Charlie Sheen? Michelle Obama? No matter what political embarassment befalls, no matter what pol is skewed, you will never stop laughing and marvelling at songs, skits, costumes, and Ray's magic. For a complete change of pace, stop afterwards for a drink at the elegant Driskill piano bar on the hotel's second floor.

All reviews
"austin institution"
"fun evening"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Wear waterproof mascara! I have been 5 times now, each time I say I have never laughed so much or so hard. You cannot beat this entertainment. I recomment it to everyone I know that comes to Austin.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Attended my first Esther's Follies with a friend last year. We enjoyed the fast-paced show, with up-to-date topical songs, outrageous costumes and set changes! The show "spilling" onto the sidewalk was hilarious as "outsiders" were brought into the show. It was great to see the show and walkers-by reactions when the window curtains were raised. Audience participation by master magician/illusionist Ray Anderson was fantastic. Ray's illusions were above and beyond! Be wary of "Amaxing Frank!" It is still hard to imagine how great the show is, when considering the space limitations! They cast packs every bit of energy into this show! This is MY greatest attraction in the state of Texas! See you April 15th!!

Reviewed February 7, 2011

You can't beat Esther's. We have loved every show we have seen. We've only lived here 6 years and have probably seen 8 or 9 shows. We have taken all our visitors from the UK and everyone from young teenagers to parents in their seventies have loved it. I was unsure the first time we took my English mother-in-law as I thought the accents and local politics etc would mean she didn't understand all the jokes. She laughted the whole way through!
I'm constantly amazed when I meet people who have lived in Austin all their lives and not seen the show. We recommend it to everyone!