“Wonder stay, truly reflecting the culture of Austin”

Wyndham Garden Austin
Ranked #53 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Wonder stay, truly reflecting the culture of Austin”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My stay at this hotel has been wonder... made better by Ms. Monica Summers... my boy had a wonderful time at the hotel, and he even got a present from her! He loved his toy car from her so much that he was stuck playing it for the rest of the time in Texas, and he is still playing it in the house... and called his car the Monica's car.

We reached the hotel at 9:30am and they didn't have any room... but was nice enough to give us a room... we requested for a change for a very minor issue and they gave us a better room. It's very clean and it feels a lot more like home than a hotel. The hospitality of the hotel truly reflects the nice people of Austin.... what else can you complain about? I really enjoyed my stay here. I saw some complaint about the location... I lived in Austin before... I-35 ain't the best road but if it's packed, try other small roads... this hotel is quite convenient to get to most areas in Austin if you have your own transportation. You get free wifi too!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CKokoAUSWC, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Guest,
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I know that all of us enjoyed having you and your son here at the hotel but Monica especially enjoyed your visit here. I'm reminded daily of why Monica is one of our best employees and your review has brightened our day. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have to admit I was a little nervous after I booked the room at this hotel then found some bad reviews online that mentioned my worst nightmare: bedbugs....however, I called the hotel and they assured me that they had one complaint, had it addressed, and informed me that the health department had inspected after the complaint. I was still nervous, so the staff member moved us to the top floor in a room extremely far from the area of the hotel in question. They were very polite, and must have placed a note in the system because when we arrived, the front desk person knew my concerns and was very polite and helpful. I did a little inspection of my own based on articles I found online before we set our stuff down, and did not find any evidence of bedbugs. With that concern out of the way, we found the bedding was AWESOME, and the beds were very comfortable. I am home now, and I wish my bed felt that nice! The room was large, and had a lot of desk/vanity space to put our bags on so we didn't have things setting on the floor. Also, the water in the shower hot enough for me to take a good steamy shower which is rare at a hotel. I forgot my shampoo and soap, and was happy to find that I actually liked the hotel soap. The front desk even booked us two cabs so that we could go out that night with our friends. We ate breakfast at the hotel in the morning. This was my only real complaint. I felt that the breakfast menu was really overpriced for food that was just 'ok'. Overall, I feel that this hotel was a good value simply based on the customer service and the bedding. I would stay there again. I would just suggest foregoing the breakfast menu

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank manditravels
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2010

From the pictures and some of the prior reviews, I had really thought this would be a pretty decent stay. I had put off making a reservation for this trip and was happy to find a hotel that looked pretty good online. I checked in and they boasted about how they are a "green" hotel and they tell me to stick my card in a slot in the room to engage the AC unit.

The lobby and bar area were pretty good, but first impressions can really let you down later. I entered my 85 plus degree, humid, musty room after a hot ride to the hotel from the airport. I stuck my card in the slot as instructed and awaited the AC to cool the room down. I heard the AC kick in and expected to cool off soon. I took a shower and readied myself for bed. I felt it was a little sticky, but I just attributed it to the hot shower that I just took in the mildew encrusted shower in the bathroom that had no real ventilation. After a couple of hours of still feeling warmer than I thought was normal, I called the front desk and they quickly sent someone up to check the unit. The guy came in, played with the card and ensured me that it should be good from there. It was not.

The next morning I woke up and headed downstairs to get a great cup of Starbucks coffee only to find out that the Starbucks doesn't open until later in the morning after the downtown traffic is already heavy. Needless to say, I left without a coffee that morning as the room coffee was horrible.

I returned late that evening to a hot room again, yet I was so exhausted from a busy day that I just went to sleep. I woke up the next morning in sweat! I asked a friend of mine that was staying at the hotel to stop by to make sure I wasn't complaining for nothing. She came over and said that there was definitely something wrong. This time I called with a bit more frustration and a technician was at the door fairly quickly. The technician told me that this happens all the time and he just completely disconnected the temperature control system and put the unit on the lowest setting with the fan on high. The room was cool within an hour finally.

The service from the technician was great. The front desk personnel could have been a bit more helpful with some of my other concerns and questions, but they weren't outright rude.

I travel to Austin 2-3 times per year and I will ensure that I never stay at this hotel again. That's what I get for waiting to make reservations a little too late! There's a reason that you can probably get same day reservations here!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Fouts_Realty
CKokoAUSWC, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for your less than comfortable stay. I read your review and would like to assure you that this is not the standard at our property. From your comments it appears the ac unit in your room was not functioning correctly and the staff member you alerted make the incorrect diagnosis of how to address it when he came up to your room. I would very much like to discuss your stay with you at your earliest convenience. I understand there was also a housekeeping issue in the bathroom. I would very much like to address this immediately. I have spoken to our housekeeping staff about the importance of detailed inspections but if I know a bit more about your stay and room number, I can conduct further research and training with the proper staff members. I do hope you won't let this stay affect your next Wyndham experience. I would like to invite you back for another visit to prove we can give you the stellar service you deserve. I look forward to hearing from you. Casandra Kokoska Guest Services Manager
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Bed Bugs located in room. Multiple bed bugs crawling all over the bed and sheets. Disgusting!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
CKokoAUSWC, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, October 15, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff for this unfortunate occurrence. We take what happened very seriously. After you informed us of the issue, the room in question was immediately put out of order and treated by a professional pest control company. These creatures make it inside hotels, airplanes, apartment buildings, offices, department stores and other venues through various means and don’t come out until night time. Because of this, it’s very likely that a hotel will not know about the issue until the next guest to stay in a room informs us. It’s a worldwide issue that has made national and international news, countless newspapers, and even the October 4, 2010 issue of TIME magazine. It’s not a cleanliness issue, it’s a transportation issue. These pests are being carried all over the world in suitcases and when the night comes they scurry out of the suitcase into their new “home”. They have an uncanny replication speed and can survive for a long time without eating, so they have to be addressed, as we did, immediately upon detection. Bed bug infestations are at a 50 year high and cities like New York and states like Ohio are being devastated by these bugs. Regrettably, we may all be dealing with this until a new method of total eradication comes along. There is currently no preventative treatment for these pests because they arrive the day before with other guests. Our housekeeping and engineering staffs are well-trained on the telltale signs so that we can take immediate action. Room 140 has been addressed and we’ve found no further bugs in either that room or the adjoining rooms. The room was also approved as bug free by the Austin Health Department. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused. You are cordially invited to call the hotel so we can discuss personally.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a conference trip. The hosting hotel for conference is way too expensive for me so instead I bid on priceline and get this hotel. They have a mini-gym and a super-mini swimming pool whose water is not that clean. Everything is fine except that it's really difficult to find a restaurant nearby without driving. I also have the impression that the neighborhood is not so good at night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Odessa, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2010

The service by all the employees at the Wyndham Garden Hotel and Woodward Conference Center in Austin, TX during my business trip in mid-August 2010 was outstanding! The service was professional, positive, efficient, pleasant and helpful, without being intrusive. The entire staff offered attentive and efficient service, and even went the extra mile in ensuring guest safety. For example, as a solo female business traveler, I was most appreciative when the front desk called to check on me after I had not responded to my scheduled wake-up call. Another example: a small mistake with my final bill (due to a communication error with my home office) was quickly and pleasantly resolved to the satisfaction of all.
Perhaps most telling of my appreciation of Wyndham Garden Hotel's excellent service is the fact that I kept the information card with the website of this survey opportunity and made a point to offer this feedback, despite this being an extremely hectic schedule here at the end our of agency's fiscal year.
In sum, I recommend this hotel very highly!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Well, I stayed here again last night after the UT game, and it was an even better stay than last time. The hotel restaurant was closed early that night, so me and my father ended up getting two gourmet burgers from room service once we figured out how to use the phone in the room. The burgers were exceptionally tasty because they used a special kind of sweet bun made by Sheila Parton, a baker out of Houston. There are only two other places that used Sheila Parton buns, and one of them, the Stables in Houston, closed down 5 years ago. The other is in Ingram near Kerrville.
The staff was very good, just like last time. I like how "laid back" they were here. The lady that brought us room service wasn't dressed formally, but in a burnt orange T-Shirt with a musical staff. When she brought the wrong drinks for my dad, she didn't mind going back down and getting it right.
The shower was just as good at getting me clean from sweating in humidity at the football stadium as it was last time. The shampoo and soap were top of the line.
The room was fantastic for the most part, but it wasn't totally flawless. They really could use a new flat-screen TV to replace the older one, the fan was loud, but that didn't bother me one bit, my bed kinda felt a little saggy on my side, but for me, it actually made it more comfortable for me, and I had to use a towel to block out the light from the hallway. They also could use a microwave and a mini-fridge, as two of the three Sprites that I got from room service were kinda warm, but they got chilled in the chilly room, which was good. The rest of the room, from the comfy, ergonomic office chair to the leather recliner to the comfy Be Well bedding, was exceptional. I also like how the fan was already on and had cooled the room when we entered it, even though the power switch by the door that you need to put your key into was off.
Overall, there are things that can be done in the rooms, but once they do them, this hotel will be perfect. I look forward to staying at the Wyndham Garden again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family