“Sept stay”

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden Austin

Reviewed October 2, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

After reading the hit-or-miss reviews of this hotel, I was worried about whether I'd made a wise choice in making a reservation--but the hotel is very convenient to St. Edward's University, where my daughter is a student, so I decided to give it a shot. With only a few small concerns, I was very pleased with the condition of the hotel and the service provided. The staff in the on-site restaurant served my daughter and I dinner even though we arrived 20 minutes before closing and stayed 20 minutes after. Our room was clean and comfortable--it takes a little effort to figure out how to work the "green" air conditioning system, but we managed. (And kudos to any hotel making an effort to be energy-efficient!) Common areas were also clean and comfortable. My quibbles were small: the bathtub faucet dripped constantly and the bathroom mirror was scratched and stained in some places. These issues made the bathroom less than optimal. Other than these minor glitches, though, I had no complaints. I'll be staying here again, without a doubt.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

1  Thank tracy790
Casandra K, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We checked in and went straight to our room after hearing the 5 minute "how your AC works because we are green" speech. We noticed the hotel was overall dirty. Dirty in a way that COULD be cleaned, if they wanted. The carpet all the way to the elevators was littered with bits of something (unidentified). Once we got on the elevator there was a puddle of liquid (once again, unidentified).

We got to our floor and noticed the carpet was very dirty with spots and spills that had not been cleaned. Once in the room there was a heavy musty smell. They told us it was because the AC had been off for a few hours (Really?). That smell was only the beginning. The carpet had nasty stains. We could not get the AC to work, the toilet ran non stop and the tub would not drain, the phone did not work (had to go downstairs each time something went wrong), the clock had burned out sections so you could not see the full number and to top it off...the carpet was so nasty that it felt sticky under my bare feet! That is when I insisted on a new room. They had sent up 3 people to fix things and it was very disruptive.

The next room was not any better! The toilet ran non-stop and they sent the guy up to fix and all he did was take off the lid and jiggle something and put the lid back on "There! fixed!". It ran all night, off and on. Then the AC would not stay on. I had to get up during the night and make it turn on. The carpet had stains that were disturbing. I put my iPad charger in the nightstand drawer and when we returned, it was gone! The guy they sent up swore the maid did not take it. I never said they did...all I said was that it was gone. They gave me another one but I'd rather not think that my things could disappear.

I have to go to Austin a lot but I will be going out of my way to NOT stay in this hotel no matter what. There are too many to pick from and I expect the carpet to not be sticky!!

Signed,
very disappointed

1  Thank TrustedTraveler52
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Enjoyed my stay. The only mishap was the bar which was supposed to open at 5pm, opened approximately 15 minutes late. At least 5 guest where waiting for drinks. One guest complained at the desk and bartender arrived. Once bartender was there he was very efficient in getting everyone drinks quickly and was very nice. Perhaps the bar should open at 4:30, allow bartender to get prepared and there were always guest waiting for it to open. Also, I stayed a week and I did have one morning I took a cold shower.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

We are all so happy you had a great visit. Please accept our apologies for the bar opening late and for the cold shower. We will take your suggestion of opening early into advisement with our management staff. We have also repaired the temperature issue and have plenty of hot water for all. We hope you’ll be back to see us again soon. Casandra Kokoska Guest Services Manager