“Holiday Inn Express is decent....but don't expect much else”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin-(Nw) Hwy 620 & 183
Ranked #122 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had a two night stay on the 10th and 11th of July 2012. At check in there was one poor guy trying to handle five customers. He was very helpful, once he got around to my group. When I checked into the room it was hot, but no big deal once I turned on the A/C. The room had a moldy smell which quickly went away once the A/C kicked into high gear. There are are a few restaurants in area, but for the most part the area is very barren. Don't look for a beer past 10 PM, everything is closed even the gas station across the street with a McDonald's attached to it. Being from the East Coast, I'm not used to seeing everything on lock down at 10 PM, especially when you get back from a business dinner.

The breakfast is free and not bad, they keep the food coming and they offer two (bacon and sausage) decent meats along with the typical cereals and pancakes.
the breakfast hours are great from about 7 -10 AM.

Room service is excellent and the rooms are very cleaned and cleaned every day.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but several in the nearby area and most are local, which is good.

Simply put, the rooms are not bad for the money, but there is nothing to do at this hotel. The check-in people and the breakfast people do what the can to make it is as nice and pleasant as possible, but they can't replace the boredom.

Cheers
Maryland Vacation

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed here for four nights. The room was nice with a flat screen TV, king size bed, fresh linens, microwave, coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, etc. The bed was a little too hard for my liking. The bathroom was very clean and towels bright white. Really nice to have the shower curtain that arcs out so it isn't clinging to you during a shower. The air conditioner was very loud. All in all the stay was great. Really good "free" hot breakfast bar every morning which included cereals, juices, breakfast rolls, scrambled eggs or omelets, bacon, sausages, biscuits and fresh made pancakes from the pancake machine.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PMIKISH
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed for business on 183 corridor. Great location. Right across from mall. Plenty of parking. Convenient parking. Tread mills in workout room were nice and in good working order.

Can't ask for more from a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: 3 floors, not much choice
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BIG_SOS
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I put my wedding guests here for my wedding, and the service was exceptional! We had to reserve early in order to get enough rooms, as the wedding coincided with the SXSW festival. Bill Patel, the manager, worked with me over the few months before the wedding, and he was very patient with me. He always responded quickly when I had questions.

Per their website, they have been recently renovated. The rooms were huge! The hotel was clean, and they had a good breakfast in the morning, according to my guests. I borrowed their conference room in the morning for my hair and makeup artist. The rest of the staff were very polite too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
bpatel3, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin-(Nw) Hwy 620 & 183, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you kindly for your nice comments. We are always happy to get great feedback from our guests and it keeps me and my staff motivated to provide the best service for our guests and provide them with a well maintained, clean and comfortable hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had to stay here when visiting my son at Meridell. I would have been staying here every month. The room was very clean, the breakfast was lovely and most of the staff was wonderful. My problem was the bed. It was very uncomfortable. You could feel the edge of the mattress (like on a box spring) and I could feel the springs pop all night. I went to take a shower in the morning and was surprised at just how hot it was. It could have taken skin off (I did not have it all the way up). I mentioned to the front desk that the mattress was poor and that they may want to look at the water temp. My concern is for children that may get burned. It takes 6 seconds to cause 3rd degree burns at 140 degrees (standard setting on a water heater) and 5 minutes at 120 degrees. This is info from my pediatrician. When I mentioned to staff she became very flippant and I saw that it was going to go nowhere. Be careful with the water. I just hope someone does something about it before someone gets hurt.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Not enough great things to say about this hotel! I was quite impressed with the perfectly clean white linens, and the overall cleanliness of the suite and the hotel itself. Attractive decor inside and out. Comfortable king-size bed with lots of space in the room. Comfortable sitting area in the suite. In-room fridge, microwave, coffee maker, cable tv. Nice big windows. Good breakfast selection.

The friendly staff greeted us by name whenever they saw us. They were very informative and knowledgable.

Hotel is a short drive from the airport, shopping malls, downtown, and business areas.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2010

My stay was basically a good one, until we went for the complimentary breaksfast the first morning. I was disgusted when I saw the hotel staff that was taking care of the breakfast handling food with her ungloved hands. This is totally inappropriate and unsanitary. This issue needs to be resolved.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
bpatel3, Owner at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin-(Nw) Hwy 620 & 183, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2010

I doubt there was anything disgusting for our food service. Our food prep area is immaculate and our trained and certified food prep representative has worked for the hotel for over 5 years