“Do not pay full price for this hotel.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #113 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Virginia
“Do not pay full price for this hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

This is a completely adequate hotel. You'll be disappointed if you pay full price (use the name your own price option and offer about half). Although it has been remodeled, the carpets in hallways are dirty. The hotel is located on the lake, but keep in mind that half the rooms will face the parking lot - which mine did. Internet is available and free (although not secure) but do not fall victim to their advertising of a shuttle that will take you anywhere within two miles. Over a 4 day stay and several requests for the shuttle to UT campus, I was only able to use the shuttle once.... the attendant said that the shuttle was unavailable, yet it sat motionless and empty in the parkinglot right behind me as I asked. Be prepared to pay for a cab (which they will generously call for you..) It is not really close enough to walk to anything other than the lake. My sink had no hot water - despite being left running for almost 5 minutes - but the shower water was hot very quickly. This is an adequate hotel - not great, not bad, but under no circumstances should you pay full price.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Upstate SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We only stayed here one night but I know where we will stay next time we come to Austin. We could look out our window and see people jogging along the lake, people fishing and canoeing. Easy on and easy off of I-35.
Bed was so nice. Bathroom was excellent. Wireless internet was fast and efficient.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Midland Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

I had a great night at this hotel. The staff was excellent...front desk, bar, restaurant, and meeting staff. My room was the perfect temperature when I got there, and I did something here I rarely do in hotels...went right to sleep. The bed was very comfortable and I was very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was a little pricey but the potatoes were awesome...Great place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Mpls, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

I was a bit skeptical of this property due to some of the reviews; but was pleasantly surprised.
The staff were awesome. My luggage was delayed and they delivered it to my room. I needed a ride DT and they were happy to oblige, the bartender was awesome, maid service and room service were great too; food was enjoyable.
Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and updated.
The location was great too. Easily accessible to the freeways, close to downtown and of course right near the lake too.
Could I walk to town? If I was ok getting that much excersise; no problem, but it would take some time In all seriousness, things could not have been any better. Felt like a very safe area even though there are some depressed homes around.
Thanks!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hurst, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

I picked this inn for nostalgic reasons, and made my reservations through their own desk, because I wanted a view of the lake. The novelty round architecture was once scattered across the land in many cities. This is but one of two remaining in the HI system. They have built a hotel annex between the main building and the lake, obstructing view of the water from many of their rooms. The room is pie-shaped, and inside it was everything I expect from HI. Presently, HI is trying to attract me by putting up ugly signs, including way too many pillows, and making a big deal out of the shower heads none of which impress me much at all.

I didn’t use the restaurant, but the room was in perfect order, and everything worked right, was clean, and in good repair. The view of the lake was fantastic, which otherwise made a boxed in feeling less claustrophobic. But, the rooms are small, and there’s not a lot of space there for a roll away or excessive luggage, etc. It’s not well suited for business travelers who want to bring their whole office with them. The staff was superior and accommodating, and permitted me to check in many hours too early. Overall I was very pleased with the room for the price, and yes, I would choose that inn again under the same conditions.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

This hotel offers shuttle service to the downtown area. We stayed 3 nights and were provided transportation all three nights. We did take a cab back to the hotel one night as the shuttle only runs until about 10:30 p.m. It was $5! We LOVED this hotel. Being by the lake was beautiful and extremely peaceful. Which was also next to the highway. We never heard a noise.

The service at this hotel was incredible! From the front desk staff -- Hey Bruce! -- to the wonderful bartender to the shuttle drivers. Every single person was friendly and welcoming. We had one more night to stay after our trip around the state and we chose to go right back here!

The rates are very reasonable. They offer room service, which we didn't use, and the restaurant was always busy. They had service at the bar as well. The first weekend we stayed the biggest game in town was going on. The service continued to be excellent! They used a larger shuttle and brought at least 15 of us downtown at a time.

This is an easy place to find with restaurants close but we didn't find anything within walking distance. We didn't need to! If we wanted something while there we ate at the hotel. It was top notch.

We plan to visit Austin again and we won't even hestitate to stay here again. The only you save on parking and the reasonable rate you can afford to take a $5 cab if needed.

Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, December 31, 2009
We're elated that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage or our complimentary shuttle service and free parking. On busy UT Football weekends, it's good to know that you received the kind of service we strive for every day. Do come back soon. We'll be ready.
Portland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

This is NOT a downtown location. It's 20 minutes walk through a nasty neighborhood or down along the river. Plan on taking cabs.
My room on the 3rd floor was next to the hotel A/C units. Lovely noise. Some of the rooms look directly into one another because there are two towers side by side. The old tv had static on it. There was no hair conditioner, just shampoo and soap. The pillow were not feather but synthetic. If you like sleeping on cheap sheets this is your place. No bath robes. Services? Ha! Newspapers for Priority Club members only. This is a two star hotel at best. Priceline it, but don't be silly enough to pay what they want on the website. We got a $60 pline rate and felt ripped off when we experienced the product. The worst part was being so far from downtown. There is a gym and a pool. There are plenty of cheap hotels downtown with far better locations, so why put yourself in this property.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PDXStocks
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Thanks for your review. Although we certainly did not live up to your expectations, I’d like to address a couple of your points for the benefit of other travelers. Firstly, we do not advertise our property as a Downtown Hotel. Unfortunately, some of the travel sites list us as such since we’re less than a mile from the city center. Most guests take advantage of our complimentary shuttle into downtown and the surrounding area, we have 4 passenger vans for this purpose. They also enjoy the easy access to the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail just outside the hotel. The nasty neighborhood you referred to is actually the Rainy Street Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is in the midst of redevelopment.

Your disappointment in our pillows and sheets is surprising. Our Simplysmart ™ bedding package features triple sheeting, duvet and pillows with two levels of firmness. They are 100% polyester fiber filled and manufactured specifically for Holiday Inns. Feather pillows are available from housekeeping but not a standard since they are not hypo allergenic. All are Holiday Inn standards.

Unfortunately, as with all hotels, lower rated web generated reservations seldom receive the best accommodations and since we have two towers, there are rooms with less than scenic views. Should you decide to return, contact me personally and I can assure that you receive a view of Lady Bird Lake/Town Lake.

Finally, we are proud of our AAA 3-Diamond rating and our Mobile 3-Star rating. We do our best to maintain those rankings with these two standards of the industry. I hope you will give us another shot when you return to Austin. I’m confident you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels