“Excellent!”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #104 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I was a bit skeptical of this property due to some of the reviews; but was pleasantly surprised.
The staff were awesome. My luggage was delayed and they delivered it to my room. I needed a ride DT and they were happy to oblige, the bartender was awesome, maid service and room service were great too; food was enjoyable.
Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and updated.
The location was great too. Easily accessible to the freeways, close to downtown and of course right near the lake too.
Could I walk to town? If I was ok getting that much excersise; no problem, but it would take some time In all seriousness, things could not have been any better. Felt like a very safe area even though there are some depressed homes around.
Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed January 10, 2010

I picked this inn for nostalgic reasons, and made my reservations through their own desk, because I wanted a view of the lake. The novelty round architecture was once scattered across the land in many cities. This is but one of two remaining in the HI system. They have built a hotel annex between the main building and the lake, obstructing view of the water from many of their rooms. The room is pie-shaped, and inside it was everything I expect from HI. Presently, HI is trying to attract me by putting up ugly signs, including way too many pillows, and making a big deal out of the shower heads none of which impress me much at all.

I didn’t use the restaurant, but the room was in perfect order, and everything worked right, was clean, and in good repair. The view of the lake was fantastic, which otherwise made a boxed in feeling less claustrophobic. But, the rooms are small, and there’s not a lot of space there for a roll away or excessive luggage, etc. It’s not well suited for business travelers who want to bring their whole office with them. The staff was superior and accommodating, and permitted me to check in many hours too early. Overall I was very pleased with the room for the price, and yes, I would choose that inn again under the same conditions.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This hotel offers shuttle service to the downtown area. We stayed 3 nights and were provided transportation all three nights. We did take a cab back to the hotel one night as the shuttle only runs until about 10:30 p.m. It was $5! We LOVED this hotel. Being by the lake was beautiful and extremely peaceful. Which was also next to the highway. We never heard a noise.

The service at this hotel was incredible! From the front desk staff -- Hey Bruce! -- to the wonderful bartender to the shuttle drivers. Every single person was friendly and welcoming. We had one more night to stay after our trip around the state and we chose to go right back here!

The rates are very reasonable. They offer room service, which we didn't use, and the restaurant was always busy. They had service at the bar as well. The first weekend we stayed the biggest game in town was going on. The service continued to be excellent! They used a larger shuttle and brought at least 15 of us downtown at a time.

This is an easy place to find with restaurants close but we didn't find anything within walking distance. We didn't need to! If we wanted something while there we ate at the hotel. It was top notch.

We plan to visit Austin again and we won't even hestitate to stay here again. The only you save on parking and the reasonable rate you can afford to take a $5 cab if needed.

Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2009

We're elated that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage or our complimentary shuttle service and free parking. On busy UT Football weekends, it's good to know that you received the kind of service we strive for every day. Do come back soon. We'll be ready.

Reviewed November 14, 2009

This is NOT a downtown location. It's 20 minutes walk through a nasty neighborhood or down along the river. Plan on taking cabs.
My room on the 3rd floor was next to the hotel A/C units. Lovely noise. Some of the rooms look directly into one another because there are two towers side by side. The old tv had static on it. There was no hair conditioner, just shampoo and soap. The pillow were not feather but synthetic. If you like sleeping on cheap sheets this is your place. No bath robes. Services? Ha! Newspapers for Priority Club members only. This is a two star hotel at best. Priceline it, but don't be silly enough to pay what they want on the website. We got a $60 pline rate and felt ripped off when we experienced the product. The worst part was being so far from downtown. There is a gym and a pool. There are plenty of cheap hotels downtown with far better locations, so why put yourself in this property.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank PDXStocks
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2009

Thanks for your review. Although we certainly did not live up to your expectations, I’d like to address a couple of your points for the benefit of other travelers. Firstly, we do not advertise our property as a Downtown Hotel. Unfortunately, some of the travel sites list us as such since we’re less than a mile from the city center. Most guests take advantage of our complimentary shuttle into downtown and the surrounding area, we have 4 passenger vans for this purpose. They also enjoy the easy access to the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail just outside the hotel. The nasty neighborhood you referred to is actually the Rainy Street Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is in the midst of redevelopment.

Your disappointment in our pillows and sheets is surprising. Our Simplysmart ™ bedding package features triple sheeting, duvet and pillows with two levels of firmness. They are 100% polyester fiber filled and manufactured specifically for Holiday Inns. Feather pillows are available from housekeeping but not a standard since they are not hypo allergenic. All are Holiday Inn standards.

Unfortunately, as with all hotels, lower rated web generated reservations seldom receive the best accommodations and since we have two towers, there are rooms with less than scenic views. Should you decide to return, contact me personally and I can assure that you receive a view of Lady Bird Lake/Town Lake.

Finally, we are proud of our AAA 3-Diamond rating and our Mobile 3-Star rating. We do our best to maintain those rankings with these two standards of the industry. I hope you will give us another shot when you return to Austin. I’m confident you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed November 3, 2009

Stayed over Halloween weekend 09 and had a very good experience. Rooms are very clean and nice with some more modern appointments. Location is good for easy access to downtown by car/taxi or a it's 20-30 min walk . Service seemed fine although we had no need for anything after check in. The business center was free and had easy access to computers and printers. WIFI and parking are also free. All in all it s a good choice in Austin.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewEldritch
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I had a lot of trouble finding a hotel in Austin for this particular saturday night. The Holiday Inn was a good base for our couple of days in Austin on the plus side it is right on the lake and park on the negative there is the interstate. The hotel is dated but everything was adequate but nothing more.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LondonUKAnnE
Reviewed November 2, 2009

This older hotel is a mixed bag. The hotel is listed on many websites as being "downtown" but it is in a remote area next to the highway that is not very convenient to the more central downtown area where you can find the Capitol building, museums, and restaurants.

I booked this hotel thinking I could walk to the sights downtown but soon realized that I would need to take a cab to get there. The hotel does offer free airport pickup and also says there is free shuttle service to downtown but whenever I tried to use it I was told the shuttle van was unavailable so you'll spend extra for cabs.

Check-in was quick and efficient. If you are a member of the hotel's frequent guest program, you will also receive a welcome gift (bottled water and some chocolates) which was a nice touch.

The common areas (lobby and restaurant) feel old and dated but the guest rooms are renovatedly nicely. I liked the large work desk, flat screen TV (although it didn't seemed to pick up a digital HD signal), and free in-room WiFi. The bed was comfortable.

The food at the restaurant was just ok. I found the hotel staff to be very helpful.

This might be a good choice if you have a car but if not, I'd recommend staying at a hotel closer to downtown.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends