“At best negligent at worst nefarious customer service”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #102 of 203 Hotels in Austin
DC
“At best negligent at worst nefarious customer service”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I attended SuperComputing'08 in Austin and booked this hotel for a government rate through the conference website. After a long day at work, then a 4 hour flight, I failed to pay close enough attention to the paperwork when I signed in and was charged a different than previously agreed upon rate. Upon check out, when I realized my error, I was only met with rudeness. I read other reviews where customers were faced with the same nefarious billing practice. While some rooms do have a lovely view of Lady Bird Lake, the bathroom tank was covered with two months of dust and the restaurant coffee mugs arrive with old lipstick on them. I would dissuade anyone from staying at this hotel. I am upset enough that I still, after almost year, feel this review is necessary.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Pros: Low cost, right on trail if you are willing to walk to attractions(bats),etc. Free parking and clean rooms. Good business center and decent pool(not really lake view) Free internet.
Cons: Noise from highway. Beware that the lower cost rooms all face I-35. Staff was less than helpful on this. Gave us higher floor, but put us right next to elevator(elevator bell is the loudest I've ever heard). Then moved us to across from the ice machine.
So if you prepay or pay less, bring earplugs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Cec911, Cecilia Martinez, Director of Sales and Marketing, Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Dear recoveringlawyer,

Thank you for the comments and you are absolutely correct on our 'pros'! We do offer a great value for our close to downtown location, right on Lady Bird Lake and Austin's hike and bike trail, and our complimentary services, and clean rooms and facility!

Although I was shocked to hear you didn't enjoy our pool and it's scenic lake view! What pool were you at? Please check our website for our pool photo and view! It is one of the best views of Lady Bird Lake!

We are conveniently located on IH35 access road and have double pane windows to deplete any highway noise, unfortunately you do pay a premium for our beautiful lake view rooms.

Thank you for the comments regarding the noise from the ice/soda machines and I have notified our Engineering Department to look into this with our vendors.

Please let me know if your travels bring you back to Austin, I'd be happy to see what I can do with that view for you!

Cecilia Martinez
Director of Sales and Marketing
Austin
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Regardless of how much money you might save by selecting this hotel, it will be lost once you car gets broken into. The security given by this hotel towards guests vehicles is nonexistent as local criminals know and as I found out the hard way. To be clear, there are no guards who walk the grounds, there are no cameras and literally any car and anyone can come on in off the street. My passenger side window was smashed in and the front desk's attitude was a proverbial shrug of the shoulders. When the police arrived the officer informed me that she was making almost daily trips to this hotel and was surprised that Holiday Inn management was not taking any actions to prevent these incidents. To top this all off, once the police had made their report and left and I was finally checking out of the hotel, the front desk was calling yet ANOTHER guest to inform them that THEIR car had just been broken in to. I cannot stress this enough - do not go to this hotel. Spend the extra cash and choose one that has secure parking for your vehicle. FYI - in terms of how recent this review is, I stayed at this hotel in August of 2009.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank VisitingTexas
Cec911, Manager, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, August 28, 2009
Dear Visiting Texas,
I am truly sorry you experienced your car vandalized while staying with us and understand your concerns.
Although our hotel offers security and cameras, unfortunately all large cities and their downtown areas experience some criminal activity. We certainly do not take this lightly and appreciate your candidness and will re-address our security strategies and actions, and even meet with APD for suggestions and recommendations. Although Austin Police officers have stated most downtown car break ins occur due to expensive items left in plain site inside the car, and it is unfortunate that Anywhere, USA we have to take this action as standard policy to remove our belongings in our own cars.
I am truly sorry this happened to you and again thank you for stating your concerns. We will address this issue with management and ownership immediately.
Cecilia Martinez
Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 14, 2009

It's been revamped! The room was very nice, everything was clean and the staff were friendly. But the main thing is that the hotel is very good value for money considering its location. We paid $104 (excl. taxes) for a room with two beds close to downtown Austin. I couldn't find anything else close to that.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MadEnglishmanAbroad
Cec911, CEC~ Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, July 17, 2009
Dear MadEnglishmanAbroad,

You couldn't have said it better and in only 3 words! "It's been revamped!" Plus, our prime location to downtown attractions, restaurants, nightlife, Lady Bird Lake, Austin's scenic hike and bike trail, and easily accessible to IH35, we are an austintatious location and a value to good to be true! Plus free parking (unheard of in major Downtown anywhere!), free wireless HSIA, free shuttle service to airport and downtown area and recently renovated! I just had to thank you for the kind 'nailed it' words and hope you'll think of us for your return visits to the big ATX!
CEC~
PS, Thank you for taking notice of our awesome staff too!
yukon, ok
Reviewed June 16, 2009

we only stayed one night. but thoroughly enjoyed the stay. the free shuttle from the airport was awesome. we were offered a shuttle to go to 6th street for the evening but ook a cab instead. Cab was only like $6.25 each way. We ate lunch at the hotel resturaunt. service was great. we ordered chips & queso and nachoes just forf snacking. the server was nice enough to tell us that it was almost the same, giving us the chance to savce some money. we checked in VERY early, at about 10:45 with no problem. Room was huge! Bed was very comfy. Clean restroom and room. Enjoyed soem cocktails at the bar. Service again was excellent. very helpful and helped us find some great places to visit on 6th street. The pool on the 6th floor was great, with a beautiful view of the lake. I can't wait to return and will bring my kids next time.

The only bad part was that we could only spend one evening and had to get up so stinkin early to catch a flight!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oktraveler76
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Hello oktraveler76!

Thank you for the nice comments and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and it sounds like you had an austintatious experience for a 1 night stay!

Please visit us again and stay a little longer!Rent bicycles or kayaks from our lobby and enjoy our beautfiul hike and bike trail along Lady Bird Lake! And there's more to Austin than 6th St! I highly recommend taking the kids to Barton Springs pool, it's so cool they'll tell their kids all about it and how much fun they had with Grandma!

Our Restaurant, Lounge, Drivers and Front Desk team members are family and so happy to hear they took good care of you!

Thanks again for the comments and please let me know if your travels bring you back to the big ATX!

Dallas Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at the newly remodeled Holiday Inn Town Lake and was glad to see they finally remodeled because the location is GREAT! It's by the lake, close to downtown, and easy access to the Freeway. The room was new and nice without too many extras, but still nice, especially for the price, but we stayed in and ordered room service and all the food was very bad. It was greasy and served cold. I brought it to the attention of the desk in the morning during check out (and I'm a gold member of ICI Hotels) but they didn't seem to care much. To bad, nice place, not so nice attitudes.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hi GarrettJay,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and noticing our recent renovation! I agree, it was long over due and we are so happy too! And you nailed it, we do have a GREAT location, on Lady Bird Lake and IH35 and close enough to downtown's attractions without downtown's costs!

I am sorry you had food 'challenges' during your stay and I wish you would have sent it back immediately and asked to speak to our Manager on Duty or our Chef. Whatever the case, we always have someone here to make it right. I also want to let you know we have a new Food and Beverage Director and she's making immediate changes and improvements daily and we're happy she's joined our team. Please try us again for a whole new meal experience.

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Town Lake, please let me know when your travels bring you back to the big ATX!

Scandia, Minnesota
Reviewed May 11, 2009

It was pretty threadbare. Restaurant was a big coffee shop. Location was not such that I could walk to the convention center, which I had hoped for.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, July 17, 2009
Dear Layover,

We are located less than a mile to Austin's Convention Center and offer free shuttle service, from our door to theirs! I am sorry if you were aware of our transporation services to the downtown area and hope you give us another opportunity to introduce our fleet of vans and a minibus!

Threadbare? Guess you didn't experience a Segway ride, or rent a bike or kayak in our lobby for a cruise on neighboring Lady Bird Lake or Austin's scenic hike and bike trail! We have an amazing 'bat' colony show too just 10 minutes away under S. Congress Bridge! Plus, if you had asked for a pool, you'd have spent time on the roof overlooking our beautiful lake and catching an incredible burnt orange sunset! Or watched a free blockbuster movie in our suround sound media room near our Tavern Lounge! And we added a new business center and have free wireless HSIA throughout the hotel!
I hope you return so I may personally introduce you to our services and amenities!