“Nice Room & Price but TERRIBLE FOOD & Below Average Service”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #110 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Dallas Texas
“Nice Room & Price but TERRIBLE FOOD & Below Average Service”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at the newly remodeled Holiday Inn Town Lake and was glad to see they finally remodeled because the location is GREAT! It's by the lake, close to downtown, and easy access to the Freeway. The room was new and nice without too many extras, but still nice, especially for the price, but we stayed in and ordered room service and all the food was very bad. It was greasy and served cold. I brought it to the attention of the desk in the morning during check out (and I'm a gold member of ICI Hotels) but they didn't seem to care much. To bad, nice place, not so nice attitudes.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Hi GarrettJay,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and noticing our recent renovation! I agree, it was long over due and we are so happy too! And you nailed it, we do have a GREAT location, on Lady Bird Lake and IH35 and close enough to downtown's attractions without downtown's costs!

I am sorry you had food 'challenges' during your stay and I wish you would have sent it back immediately and asked to speak to our Manager on Duty or our Chef. Whatever the case, we always have someone here to make it right. I also want to let you know we have a new Food and Beverage Director and she's making immediate changes and improvements daily and we're happy she's joined our team. Please try us again for a whole new meal experience.

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Town Lake, please let me know when your travels bring you back to the big ATX!

Safe travels,

CEC~
Director of Sales
Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Scandia, Minnesota
Reviewed May 11, 2009

It was pretty threadbare. Restaurant was a big coffee shop. Location was not such that I could walk to the convention center, which I had hoped for.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, July 17, 2009
Dear Layover,

We are located less than a mile to Austin's Convention Center and offer free shuttle service, from our door to theirs! I am sorry if you were aware of our transporation services to the downtown area and hope you give us another opportunity to introduce our fleet of vans and a minibus!

Threadbare? Guess you didn't experience a Segway ride, or rent a bike or kayak in our lobby for a cruise on neighboring Lady Bird Lake or Austin's scenic hike and bike trail! We have an amazing 'bat' colony show too just 10 minutes away under S. Congress Bridge! Plus, if you had asked for a pool, you'd have spent time on the roof overlooking our beautiful lake and catching an incredible burnt orange sunset! Or watched a free blockbuster movie in our suround sound media room near our Tavern Lounge! And we added a new business center and have free wireless HSIA throughout the hotel!
I hope you return so I may personally introduce you to our services and amenities!
Safe travels,
CEC~
Baltimore
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The rooms were fine and the locaten of the hotel is great (right on town lake). What stood out was the exceptional service of the staff from the front desk on down. We utilized the free shuttle almost every night and never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to get a ride. The food was suprisingly good and affordable (the mexican lunch buffett was the bomb). The service and hospitality in the resturant was excellent and was much superior to what I am used to in Baltimore. I did have some problems with a bike I rented from the front desk but they refunbded my money and recommended a bike shop on Lamar street which rented us two specialized bikes for $80.00 for 24 hours. If you go be sure to go to Barton Springs and take a swim in the spring fed pool and check out the bats under Congress Street Bridge. Listened to some pretty good music while we were there too. 6th street is within walking distance but we ususally took the shuttle and then walked back to the hotel. Austin is a great town and when i go back I will definitely stay @ the Holiday Inn town Lake.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, April 23, 2009
Dear Baltimore Willie,

I was happy to read you experienced some of Austin's most precious resources; our bats, music, Barton Springs, 6th Street, and our Mexican buffets!

We are a special town and please let me know when your travels bring you back and I'll direct you to our BBQ, Deep Eddy pool, Warehouse District, and if you're lucky we'll have one of our many outdoor festivals going on like Austin City LImits, Hot Sauce Festival, Eyore's Birthday, or the Wiener Races (for the daschund dog lovers in all of us) to name just a few!

Thank you for mentioning our great location, shuttle service and especially our exceptional staff. We aim to please and want our guests to feel right at home and have a great time in the big ATX!

Till next time, safe travels!
Cec~
Director of Sales and Marketing
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed at this Holiday Inn as a concession to late booking on Valentine's Day weekend and it became one of the best ideas we ever had.
Pros:
-Not your traditional Holiday Inn decor
-Pillow menu! Pick your favorite kind of pillow!
-Best of all: this Holiday Inn has a little company in their lobby that can rent you kayaks, bicycles, or segways. We rented a double kayak and were on our way in minutes on the lake. The value of having all of that right there for the weekend was fantastic.
-Lakefront path right outside the door. We enjoyed running and walking up and down the lakefront, enjoyed the parks, and watching the crew teams. Felt like we lived there!
-Free shuttle to airport and downtown (if you don't feel like walking). The shuttle's priority is going to the airport so the one out of two times that we inquired about it, it was busy. Not a big deal because it's an easy walk downtown anyway.
-Movie theatre in the hotel if you're bored. Didn't use it but after returning late one night there was a group of guys enjoying popcorn and the big leather chairs. Not bad if you don't feel like going out! Although you're in Austin...

Cons that are not really cons:
- Bathroom was still your typical hotel bathroom with the crappy soap- who cares!
-Getting into the hotel parking lot is a little tricky, but after the first time you'll be fine. It shouldn't deter you from staying here. That's stupid.
- Walk into downtown: 10 minutes. Awesome actually and not hilly. We're from Chicago and we walk everywhere so it wasn't a big deal. We switched hotels on Monday because my husband was there for work and the company was paying for it - Sheraton on 11st St. Not really closer to anything than this Holiday Inn and a lot more hilly to get to and from the downtown area. Plus, although it may look more luxurious, it didn't have the little perks that the Holiday Inn had.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stretch_your_legs
Cec911, Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Dear Stretch your legs,
I loved your comments because you described our services and location perfect! The pros and 'not really' cons were right on! Austin is a cool place with lots of fun things to do and please let me know when your travels bring you back to Austin! Thank you for your recommendations to friends and safe travels! CEC~
leaflet22
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is right on the lake, and I enjoyed jogging around the lake's jogging path. My room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed. I also really liked the room decor and the view of the lake. The mini fridge and microwave were convenient amenities.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the room service breakfast, and the bar downstairs was enjoyable. It is also well located, just off of IH 35. The view of the lake from my room was a nice end to a long work day.

• Liked — It was a quiet but cheerful room. Helpful staff.
  • Disliked — The view of the back of the hotel from the jogging path.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank leaflet22
Dear Leaflet22,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Town Lake! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our accommodations comfortable and clean and our staff helpful! I noticed you were here on business and with the summer upon us please book your vacation plans now! This summer brings a TaeKwoDo Tournament, Harley (Hog) Convention, and Memorial Day weekend (during UT Graduation!), along with Austin's 'regular' events such as just hanging at Barton Springs pool or a Segway tour on Town Lake! If I can be of service, ask for CEC~ Safe travels!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 13, 2008

This hotel has been recently renovated and the furnishings are not too bad. They are overpriced though compared to other hotels that actually are located in downtown as this hotel is NOT within walking distance to anything. They do have a hotel van that will give you a lift to downtown but you have to wait on them to pick up their airline crews that stay there weekly. I was put in a double room with two full size beds as no single rooms were available. The room was way to small for two beds and you could barely move inside the room. There was only one free electrical outlet in this room that wasn't by the sink, how do they expect you to work with your computer? There's a fridge and microwave in the room and a coffee maker.....with no where to plug it in. I actually had to put it on the floor by the outlet in order to make coffee. The web was free and that's a good idea.

• Liked — Free high speed internet
  • Disliked — Overpriced
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BEDSOLE
Cec911, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, January 23, 2009
Dear Mr. Benson,

The Holiday Inn Town Lake in Austin, Texas is completing a major renovation and happy to hear you enjoyed our new amenities (fridge, microwave, coffee maker, complimentary shuttle service, complimentary wireless high speed internet access, and our new furnishings.)

My sincere apologies you did not recieve a lake view room but instead checked into one of our few rooms facing the complimentary parking garage and our vanity plugs did not meet with your approval.

Thank you again for your feedback, we strive to ensure all guests leave happy and take all comments very serious and to task.

Please let me know the next time your travels bring you back to Austin, I'd be happy to see how we can be of service, until then... safe travels!

Cecilia Martinez
Director of Sales
Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

London
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Stayed here for just under a week in October 2008.
Very pleasant hotel. Best to stay in the new lake block at the back rather than in the circular block at the front.
Had absolutely fantastic views of the lake and surrounds.
Very quiet room, given the closeness to the Highway.
Room service was excellent every day and they deserved a good tip when we checked out.
There is free parking in the multistorey car park which takes up the first 4/5 floors of the rear block.
There is a small gym, two treadmills and a recumbant bike and maybe one other piece of equipment. There is a nice rooftop pool, its fine for a quick swim, can sunbathe around the pool no problems at all.
Meals were pleasant at the hotel. Had breakfast a couple of times, it was $10 each for as much as you like, they will cook an omelette to order. Given I like to eat lunch and dinner and the huge portions you get everywhere, I didn't eat breakfast every day. Restaurant is quiet in the evenings, but food and service were fine. Had 2 evening meals at the hotel on nights that we couldn't face travelling anywhere else.
The hotel is a 15/20 minute walk away from the downtown Austin nightlife, along somewhat lonely streets, but not a great problem if you can drive, get a cab, or just don't mind a quick walk.
Don't get me wrong, this hotel is central and right on the lake, just it's on the eastern border of central Austin and there's not too much right on the doorstep.
Next door (but not obtrusive at all) there is a gas station that doubles up as a mini-mart with snacks, drinks, fruit, etc which is handy if you need something if you are on the way out for a walk or drive.
I would certainly come back again to this hotel, unless I was in austin just for the nightlife when I would choose a hotel more central.

• Liked — The view and proximity to the lake
  • Disliked — The 20 minute walk Downtown
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family